Brake question

Jiffy176

Reaction score
I've just fitted new brake lines to the 2001 1150 non servo abs.
I've bled and bled the font brake at both abs nipples and caliper with pads pushed back. There is no air coming out in the fluid.
Refitted calipers to bike I have good pressure in the lever but with a fair bit of effort I can pull the lever back to the stop.
I have left the lever pulled open overnight to try and get any extra air out.

The brakes were the same before the new lines were fitted. They stopped fantastically.
I've not removed the lever but had a good look around it as much as I can see and there is no sign of leaking fluid.
Does this sound like the master cylinder piston needs the overhaul kit and if so how easy it is to do, I can't find a decent set of instructions on line anywhere?

Cheers.
Jiff.

New or refitted pads? If so, there's always a bit of sponginess until they bed in. From what you describe, I think you'll be fine. Most brakes can be pulled in when stationary but in reality you never squeeze that hard when riding. Overhaul kit is a piece of cake if you decide to go down that route.

After I bleed brakes I normally tie the brake lever tight over night, this forces any small bubbles of air out.

Replaced brake lines on my 2002. 1150 abs recently and had same result. Left lever cable tied back overnight as pbergin suggests and all was fine next day. If I tried really may be able to pull lever back to stop, but brakes work fine. I think there is an adjustment on lever to set how far out from the bars it is - maybe it's set on closest setting on yours, as in the least reach?

Did you use a vacuum bleeder , if not buy or borrow a Mityvac or similar, the only way to get a good result

No mityvac, i used traditional bleed kit.
It is currently with brake lever bunged back.
I haven't tried it on the road yet as It is still in bits but as said above I'd never be pulling the lever back that far.
Thanks

if the master cylinder is the same as the 1100's then there are guides online, its easy to do and worth the effort, when I bleed the brakes I take a small diameter hose from the caliper and tie it so that it is under the fluid level in the master cylinder, you can then pump away happily knowing that you are not going to such air back in (once you have cleared the air from the hose that is) effectively you then have a circulating system that allows you to force air bubbles into the reservoir where they will escape to atmosphere, speed bleeders help as well.

http://www.largiader.com/tech/r11mc/

Back
Top Bottom