Fork refurb - Hammerite + clearcoat?

gabriel_gs

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've finally gotten around to removing my forks to refurb the corroded paintwork on the lowers and fork brace.

I was intending to sand them down, undercoat/prime them, then Hammerite silver, then a clearcoat, like Rustoleum clear Matt.

Would the Rustoleum clear coat be ok over Hammerite?

Any suggestions for a good undercoat/primer or alternative clearcoat?

Any advice appreciated, as per normal!

E :thumb

You need 'Etch' primer It's available in rattle cans Can't say about the clear coat Some paints react with each other So maybe try a test piece first?

Yep, that's the one I'm gonna use. Sorry, I should have been clearer.

Ok, so just a few coats and no lacquer then. Cool

Really don't like those. Sorry. But I think they look like they've fallen off a cheap trail bike.

you can lacquer but it will need to be a enamel lacquer but a bit pointless ( paint a scrap bit then paint a second bit and lacquer it) see what u like best

Wheels are off, forks are off, fork brace is off.. Let the scrubbing/sanding/spraying/scratching/swearing/spraying-again commence!

:D

Smoothrite reaction to varnish, etc

BEWARE! I redid my top-box-to-R1100GS rack adaptor in gloss Smoothrite. Looked great! Then I coated it with Rustoleum clear varnish...The result was that the Smoothrite instantly crinkled and I was left with a crackle-style finish. So I considered starting again...but instead I let the crackled paint dry properly and it looks very attractive and seems perfectly sturdy!:aidan

But the point is - always test the varnish you are going to use on Smoothrite (or any paint) first.

I also find Smoothrite does not like even a sniff of fuel near it.:eek:

Al

Hi all,

I've finally gotten around to removing my forks to refurb the corroded paintwork on the lowers and fork brace.

I was intending to sand them down, undercoat/prime them, then Hammerite silver, then a clearcoat, like Rustoleum clear Matt.

Smoothrite reaction to varnish, etc

BEWARE! I redid my top-box-to-R1100GS rack adaptor in gloss Smoothrite. Looked great! Then I coated it with Rustoleum clear varnish...The result was that the Smoothrite instantly crinkled and I was left with a crackle-style finish. So I considered starting again...but instead I let the crackled paint dry properly and it looks very attractive and seems perfectly sturdy!:aidan

But the point is - always test the varnish you are going to use on Smoothrite (or any paint) first.

I also find Smoothrite does not like even a sniff of fuel near it.:eek:

Al

Hi all,

I'm gonna do Hammerite Smooth with no clearcoat :thumb

if you are lacquering you need to use like with like ie enamel lacquer on enamel , cellulose paints and cellulose
and never mix
do a bit on a hidden piece or a bit of scrap then use the lacquer for hammerrite use a enamel based lacquer

Never felt the need for a clearcoat over Hammerite smooth myself.

u pol etch primer, silver cellulose and then 1k lacquer very long lasting

Back
Top Bottom