Best puncture repair kit to carry?

Lord Snooty

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Prompted by the thread by Bear who found a chunk of metal stuck in his tyre - what is generally accepted to be the best puncture repair kit to carry on the bike and where would one purchase said item?

I thangyew:D

+1 for stop n go.

I also carry extra Co2 cartridges for inflating.

Rac friend of mine also swears by a latex glove and superglue, said it's very good with a split that a rats tail can't deal with.

Rac friend of mine also swears by a latex glove and superglue, said it's very good with a split that a rats tail can't deal with.

No RAC guy would attempt to fix a puncture that can't be plugged by a conventional puncture kit.

I call bullshit.

I keep a few rat tails in my tool kit along with a little compressor I got from wilco for a tenner some years ago. I've fixed a couple of punctures with this set up and left them for the remaining life of the tyre with no issues. Cheap and effective.

I just ordered a motorcycle kit from www.parmagroup.co.uk who is the only uk supplier of Safety Seal kits.
Lots of people have said Stop & Go kits (rubber plugs) but from what I understand these dont always seal perfectly.
The 'string' (rats tail) type is from what ive read more reliable. Safety Seal strings are ready coated and vulcanise to the tyre and have been TUV tested and considered virtually a permanent repair.
Only trouble is getting hold of them from Parma as they dont always have them in stock. (they are at the moment though !)
Lots of different opinions on here, but the conclusion I came to was the Safety Seal Tubeless puncture repair kit (external repair)
Have not needed to use a kit yet so my advice is not based on experience, but reading about others !! :eek:

Without a doubt the Rima Tip Top ....also badged and sold by a BMW dealership near you :thumb

Used to be part of the underseat kit on a new bike ... but that was a long time ago :rob

Used these many many times over the years, mostly for other folk I've been riding with, either training or a tour :thumb2

Never ever failed to get the bike back home ...

... even keep one in the VW camper so that I can maybe help a stranded biker some time :thumb

A few years ago RiDE mag tested all the kits ... the Rima came out top :thumb

They quite simply W O R K :thumb

:beerjug:

StopnGo has good me home on two occasions so I carry it now with an electric pump suitable with CanBus (under 5amps). Some punctures you wont be able to plug no matter what kit you have.
The photo shows a 3 inch screw which I picked up in rear tyre and it entered diagonally thus creating a long slit - instant deflation (tyre pressure monitor barely had time to tell me) so AA took me home after I tried to plug it with two plugs.

Safe riding,
Mike

Attachments

• 2 Nail from puncture 6.11.11x.jpg
    2 Nail from puncture 6.11.11x.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 275

Back
Top Bottom