Stiffening Front Forks F800GS

Sparkton

Reaction score
We have just come back from a rocky trail ride over the weekend and I have just noticed both fork seals are weeping quite badly.

I have booked it into be repaired and the mechanic said the original springs may not be man enough to take more than the average battering, hence popping the seals.

My question, if anybody can help, is there any aftermarket fixes that can be added to the forks, whether stiffer springs, spacers, richer oil, etc?

Its a 2008 F800 GS with 11000 miles.

Thanks in advance.

Try mct suspension,there in stow market Suffolk,had zzr 1400 done there,
They done a great job

Thanks Bond,

Just ordered the Hyperpro off ebay for a reasonable £135.00

Cheers
Ant

Hi Sparkton,
I went for Ricor Intiminators. Answer to your problems. Fine response to bumps AND as a bonus no more front brake diving. Check them out! I have them fitted in 2 f800'S not turning back.

Cheers Dude,

Bit late now, have the Hyperpro delivered today, should be fitted tomorrow, will post my remarks after a good blast hopefully at the weekend. Got a good outing planned at the Strata Florida on the 1st, 2nd Aug. Great trails and lots of water!!!

Can't imagine how fecked springs would pop the fork seals :nenau

2008 800GS with 110,000 miles

:beerjug:

Dunno, I am no suspension expert, its only what i have been told!

In my imagination, poor springs will lead to more pressure on the seals :nenau !! Am I wrong in this assumption ??

Can't imagine how fecked springs would pop the fork seals :nenau

2008 800GS with 110,000 miles

Me neither .... got Wilber's springs and oil in mine, lots of off roading, still on original fork seals. Work hand in hand with the local BMW dealer ... never known any 800 fork seals needing replacing. Any pressure is down in the lower parts, compression, movement of oil through small holes, all the oil is down there ... the fork seals are just that, oil seals, higher up and above the oil level.

I have the hyperpro progressive springs on mine, and I bottomed out the front twice last year - sooooo they are better, but not perfect.

On my xChallange (now sold) I had Marzocchi Shivers (internals in the original legs), and am thinking about doing the same on the F800gs - having it done by Hyperpro/Hotrodvelding makes it financial viable. I don't remember, but something like 600€ plus the the internals (might be more, might be less).

This may be a bit late, I know. But 'weak' springs have nothing to do with fork seals going West.
It's a result of progressive, natural wear and tear.

Hydraulic suspension works by absorbing and dissipating shocks in the following manner: when the spring is compressed, the kinetic energy of the vehicle's forward motion is transferred to the spring, which reacts by compressing. The spring must then release that energy, which it does by rebounding until whatever energy is stored, dissipates completely.
Hydraulic dampers are a simple energy-conversion device. They work by speeding up the dissipation of energy, by forcing oil through small passages. In the process, kinetic energy is converted into heat.

The next time you go for a fast run on a really rough road, feel the front fork legs and the body of the rear shock strut. Depending on how hard you've been riding, they may be too hot to touch.
This is the reason why the oil in so many high-performance suspensions is pressurized with nitrogen - this is done to stop the oil from boiling (and gas pockets from forming) inside the shock absorber! I've been involved in vehicle testing, and I've seen shock absorbers get so hot that the paint burns off the outer casing.

When any hydraulic suspension works hard (say, at high speeds and long distances over bumpy terrain) for long enough, the oil starts to break down on a molecular level. Heat is transferred to the oil seals as well, so naturally they start to age and disintegrate after a while.

In my imagination, poor springs will lead to more pressure on the seals :nenau !! Am I wrong in this assumption ??

Possibly either need to bleed the air out of your forks or more likely you have dirt in the seal which simply needs cleaning out.

Back
Top Bottom