Changing to a F700GS from a R1200GSA

Deleted account 181015003

Reaction score
I have been thinking of downsizing to a F700GS or F800GS from the R1200GSA I love the bike got it just how I want it but I just fancy something a bit lighter so I can do more off road tracks etc than on road The 1200 2 years old at the end of the month and out of warranty done 15k trouble free miles insurance and tax are due and insurance companies like to charge for mid policy changes so now is a good a time as any to decide.

I know if I take the 1200 off road it will be too heavy for me and will end up on its side more to often its too nice to damage by dropping it I know they drop ok but it would just drive me mad if it had scuffs all over.

I tour quite a lot in Europe but never two up but do do camping I tour off the motorways and tend to ride quite slow 60 70 mph when touring but do like the handling of the 1200 in the twisties and the all day tank range, has anyone made the change and whats your opinions was it be a big mistake or the best thing you have done.

Thanks in adavnce

I've gone from two 1150gsa to (with a few sports bikes and trailers in between) an 800 and love love love it.
Every bit as fast and comfortable on the road, a little more "flickable" and generally lighter feeling, although 1150s are quite tubby.
Change, you won't regret it.

Swapped to F800GS last June from second R1200GS, loving it but didn't think I would as I hadn't had a chain drive since 85. Try one first as the bikes being more off road orientated have taller suspension, engine tends to be smooth, punchy mid-range and like to be revved. Very frugal compared to 1200, 64mpg in constant use and throttle play hasn't seen it drop below 59mpg. Handles very well but you do miss the lack of dive from the paralever front end, but you get use to it and far easier to manage in restricted locations than the larger GS.
Nip down your local dealer, they'll be more than happy to let you loose for half a day on one.

Change to a F700

Hi Deleted account 181015003

My previous bike's in the last 10 years have been 2 x 1150GS 1 X 1200GS 1 X 1150R 1 X 1150RT 1 X 1200RT .........I now ride a F700 GS

Its a bit of a revelation and all my views of going to a smaller bike have been changed.

The 700GS is a great bike don't let any body tell you otherwise, it light, nimble, easy to ride, very economical (220miles on a tank....reserve light comes on at 200miles) comfortable if you change the seat ( Ive got an Sargent Enduro on) and the screen,

It tours fairly well, I had reservations but on a recent tour to Scotland 1800miles I have no trouble keeping up and many other riders were amazed by how well it rides. On every tank I was using £5 less to fill up compared to the other bikes, all Bemmer's and Triumphs & Honda's.

My speed was around 60/70 on average, and vibes wise if you keep it below 5000revs it ok ..........but it does really pull well in all gears and range.

I am not really an off Road person so cannot comment on its prowess Off Road, my gut feeling is that it would perform wellish

Once you get over the Big Bike v Little Bike and my dick is bigger than your dick scenario, you will be surprised.

Like the others have said get a test ride and lets us know what you think.

ENJOY :thumb2

I am not really an off Road person so cannot comment on its prowess Off Road, my gut feeling is that it would perform wellish

I've taken mine off road and whilst I'm a long way from Cyril Despres and the F7 is a long way from an EXC, it's pretty manageable so long as you're not expecting to ride the Dakar on it.

I've got Karoo 3s fitted to mine though which helps but other than a sump guard and rotating the bars a little for some extra height, it's stock.

Changed to an F800GS recently from a 1150GS. Had doubts at first after being on big bikes for many years . Have to say I am now very happy as I too wanted a lighter bike. Same power output as an 1150GS and every bit as fast as a 1200GS. Very very frugal on petrol.
I regard it as the best change I have made recently...no regrets.

The only thing I miss is the front para lever suspension but that's about it. The F800GS is a very under rated bike from opinions given by people who have never ridden them. Its still a heavy bike for off road use but far more forgiving in my opinion.

Try one, get a test ride and then you will be convinced or not as the case may be !

Thanks for all the replys I took a test ride today on a F800GS at Astles got soaked to the skin in the thunderstorms and I can say the bike rides really nice plenty quick enough for me the only thing I dont like is the conventional style indicator switch the bike is ordered and will be collected next weekend.

Thanks again for all the replys

Gone for a new one with comfort pack that consists of full stand heated grips pannier rails and fuel computer thingy i think I picked the blue one did not fancy white or bronze picking up next weekend

Time will tell, now which seat is the best for long days?

All the best with the new bike :thumby: :beerjug:

Long days, a seat preference depends on you. I've only tried three types..

standard plank was not for me, on my f650GS twin I had the TT (Kahedo) high touring, like the standard but higher with Gel all right for a couple of hours but more and I liked the air hawk better with it, all day on euro jaunts added the lamb fleece also.

On purchasing my F8 second hand, it came with a Sargent on its own as its saddle like Its more comfy on its own for longer, a recent Euro jaunt with that and the Alaskan lamb fleece was perfect for me. (the Sargent sits you a tad lower)

If I was looking for a seat I would ask someone local to me in a nice way if I could try there's with the 6,7,8 twins are same fitting with a key on and off it's not a major thing to swap for a while. but for that long day feel you going to have to do it to feel it for yourself.
A tad higher, lower, wider could just be your ticket ;) :beerjug:

You're welcome to come try mine Steve ... I'm not far away at Doncaster ;)

:beerjug:

Edit ... to attach photograph, so you'll have some idea.
This is a halfway between the standard and the low seat I believe :D

DSCF0589-L.jpg

:beerjug:

Similar history to some - 1200 GS, 1100 GS! 1200gs. Now have 800GSA
500 km to a tank full, 4 to 5 litres less than mates on 1200gs, and that was with a pillion ! And they were solo!
goes like a good thing, comfort seat is rubbish though, will try an air hawk.
Downsizing is a smart move, easier on the dirt too.

Cheers
GregGS

Hi ...I changed from 1200 Adv to the F800 Adv and its everything I wanted it to be ... and still well capable of what you need ... Like so many I was unsure but now had it for nearly 2 months and it was ...for me anyways a step in the right direction :)

Thanks for all the replies and Micky for the offer I have been a bit busy selling all the 1200 bits to even think about the new bike but no doubt I will have plenty of questions. Everyone who has made the change seems happy with the outcome so less could really be more :beerjug:

Well here it is basking in the sun after a good soaking from a 10 minute shower riding home did not manage to get to a double digit mileage before the rain christened it :mad:

10592806_10202698618650179_5095736702597289512_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom