Changing to a F700GS from a R1200GSA

Never used a Scotoiler misen :nenau

Temperamental, if it turns warm you have oil everywhere, if it turns cold no oil :eek:

Back end of your bike soon looks like a 1200 with the oil seal gone :D

Rather I just use a good quality chain spray as and when, usually at the end of a ride, no fling off .... wonderful.

I always use original sprockets (now 17 tooth gearbox) and DID Gold HD Professional chain. 20 to 30K before replacement of all three together ... I'm happy at that :thumb

:beerjug:

Nice color, health and wealth to enjoy.....

Temperamental, if it turns warm you have oil everywhere, if it turns cold no oil :eek:

Back end of your bike soon looks like a 1200 with the oil seal gone :D

Rather I just use a good quality chain spray as and when, usually at the end of a ride, no fling off .... wonderful.

I always use original sprockets (now 17 tooth gearbox) and DID Gold HD Professional chain. 20 to 30K before replacement of all three together ... I'm happy at that :thumb

You have put 100k on one of these so know what works never tried a scotoiler always used just gear oil to keep the chain wet in the past to stop rust and that seemed to work well on o ring chains never liked chain lube as it just turns into a sticky mess

You have put 100k on one of these so know what works never tried a scotoiler always used just gear oil to keep the chain wet in the past to stop rust and that seemed to work well on o ring chains never liked chain lube as it just turns into a sticky mess

Agree :thumb

Gear oil works OK I s'pose, but flings off :nenau

I'm using the Castrol chain spray at the mo, doesn't fling off, but if you keep spraying your chain on a regular basis then yes, it does build up in to a gooey mess :eek:

But by that time It's ready for a good sorting, clean and re spray :thumb

Do not use the Oxford chain cleaning brush, ya know, the blue 'U' shaped bristle thingy ... the bristles are very stiff and sharp and cut the 'O' rings to pieces :nenau

It has cost me to find that out :blast

So when I spray my chain at the end of the days ride I'm careful to just spray the inside of the rollers on the lower run, while spinning the rear wheel by hand, and then the outside of the rollers at the rear of the rear sprocket. Just a light whoosh is all that's needed, one spin round, so no build up of gooey grunge on the outside links of the chain :thumb

Result

Well here it is basking in the sun after a good soaking from a 10 minute shower riding home did not manage to get to a double digit mileage before the rain christened it :mad:

10592806_10202698618650179_5095736702597289512_n.jpg

I like the blue ones, it looks great :thumby: :D

Enjoy :beerjug:

Nice :)

Recommend a Scotoiler though .... They are worth fitting on these bikes :)

:agree

Some of us that have them fitted and set up correctly, actually rate them :augie

Having used two now one on my F650 twin fitted new, when new and the other fitted on my used F800 (new scottoiler kit) both fitted and set up by my local dealer

I'm talking about the Vacuum system for the F 6/7/8 off and on is your engine, I have mine on the lowest setting delivers the drop by the rear sprocket on the inside run :thumb2 the blue oil is ideal for the UK (0 to 30 degrees C . The red stuff, never used it, they say its for 20-40 and some old systems ) for a euro jaunt I've had up to 2500 mile from the one filled reservoir.

"All lubricants in terms of chain lubrication are constant loss! The reason why the Scottoiler is such an effective solution is because it has a slow and accurate flow rate and continues to replace what is continually being lost."

A lot of people have a horror story of oil dumped by a scottoiler not sure if there talking about the E or V system or how its set up or designed for that bike. Yes ok the technical babble is arguable and like most thing depending on this and that.

for me scottoiler for all of the above :thumb :beerjug:

BTW. I clean my chain as when it needs it. The front sprocket after removing the cover, we all know what that gooey cake looks like, Don't we :nenau :D

Well had my first full day out on the bike today very happy with it did about 150 miles on all types of roads from A to dirt tracks, The OEM scorpion tyres are useless off road but fine on the road and grip fine right to the edge :)

The suspension is a bit soft up front but also quite harsh on rough roads maybe I have been insulated with the GSA front end from whats happening on the road and will soon no longer notice.

The fuel computer has been reading an average 59 mpg so not bad for a tight engine filled it up for the first time 14 litres to 177 miles

20140803_111857.jpg

2 mins after this photo the track turned into a mud bath so the bike got its first wash tonight

Steve k , your bike is identical age/colour spec to mine.. so i've been curious about this thread. You are so correct about the front end. The 1200 Telelever is the bikes strongest feature and you can't even see it !
Anyway I think the low acquisition and running costs of the 800 mean more funds left over for trips/camping/hotels/wine/beer and fun.

I'm rather glad for all the positive posts! I'm just about to take the plunge and part ex my 1200GS for an 800 next week. I've had six Boxer GSs from a rather missed 80GS, through 1100, 1150 and three 1200s and now I want something a bit lighter. I'm sure I'll miss the telelever and wind protection but I'll get use to it!
One question....luggage. I have a set of BMW Adventure alloy panniers which were fitted to my current GS and I was wondering if they fit the pannier frames for the alloy pannier option on the 800? It would save me some money and I'm rather fond of my old panniers!

One question....luggage. I have a set of BMW Adventure alloy panniers which were fitted to my current GS and I was wondering if they fit the pannier frames for the alloy pannier option on the 800? It would save me some money and I'm rather fond of my old panniers!

Sorry to bring the bad news ... but the panniers won't fit :nenau

Those of the 1200GS are a totally different shape and fixings. They might look the same at first ... but you'll soon see the differences. The 1200 panniers slide on from the front, towards the back, with the lock then at the front. The 800's slide from the rear to the front, with the securing locks at the back :D

Good o' BMW eh :D

Thanks Micky. Somehow it doesn't surprise me! Looks like I'll be selling my old panniers sometime soon!

Back
Top Bottom