Nav V / Garmin 590...Alps

Are any Nav V users experiencing similar problems in other mountain ranges?
Specifically The Rockies?

ISTR that the Quest2 had a problem keeping up and did similar. I think this was down to the transition to the compressed NT mapping that occurred at the time but not a significant enough improvement in the unit's processing power to handle it properly in real world situations.

Hopefully it's nothing like that and Garmin can sort this out with a firmware update.

After four full days hooning about the Swiss Alps, I discovered that if you go slooooowly, the device gets a bit of breather to catch up with its satellites. It still got an almighty sulk on on the flat wide valley floor approaching Interlaken each time, insisting we were riding along a railway track, on the other side of the river.

Both Nav V's behaved identically, as did the 590.

As good as gold on the last two days' run up through France.

A member on the Zumoforum reported that his 590 lost satellite reception several times while traveling from the south coast to Scotland. Having to reboot it each time. He was told to return it to his supplier for a replacement.

I will do when I'm home. I want to attach the routes, tracks and screen print pictures.

I also want to explain to them the problem with allowing the screen to fade to absolute black when switching to night mode.

Just had exactly the same problems with my Nav V in Switzerland - seemed to only happen when next to a steep mountainside, e.g. on way to Grindelwald. Wasn't a problem when there was only one major road in the area and I was on it and a couple of times it sorted itself out when I got further along the valley, or stopped and gave it time to find the satellites and recalculate. Was a major problem in Grindelwald when I was trying to find my hotel and it put me about 3 streets above where I actually was. After going round in circles for ten minutes I gave up and went to the tourist information office to get directions.

No problems at all in the Vosges or Black Forest so guess it must be linked to certain sections of the Alps!

Did you report this to Garmin and did you get any response?

It's also really annoying when it displays a steep mountainside as a dark area which makes seeing the magenta route quite hard - anyone know how to turn this feature off?

Garmin has just released 2.90 firmware upgrade....it addresses GPS signal re-aquisition speed in mountainous areas with poor signal...Sounds promising...only that it doesn't want to install on my Nav V. It's complaining about downloading issue...need to check it on another PC with Garmin express!

Garmin has just released 2.90 firmware upgrade....it addresses GPS signal re-aquisition speed in mountainous areas with poor signal...Sounds promising...only that it doesn't want to install on my Nav V. It's complaining about downloading issue...need to check it on another PC with Garmin express!

Wow - Wapping complains and Garmin issues a fix. Respect! :bow

I had some interesting exchanges of email with Garmin (UK), helped as I could send them the tracks etc. and gave a pretty full description of what happened, when and how.

They agreed that, whilst no GPS is perfect, the device should acquire, hold and retain its satellite fixes without the device freezing. There was little point in returning it, not least as my second Nav V and a chum's 590 behaved identically.

Beyond being apologetic, which I accepted with good grace, there was little they could do beyond promise that they had accepted there was an issue and would log it as a real fault of some kind. I had no reason to doubt them. Let's see what the 'bug fix' does, albeit if I don't go back to the Alps before next year, I'll never know...

update. managed to install it using my laptop. all good so far. Will try it on my way to central London (mountainous area )!

Just updated the software to 2.90 on one of my Nav V's via a Mac.

The Mac is slow to detect the device (I have learned to be patient) and Garmin Express seems to want to re-load each time but hey-ho. Anyway, the new software is into the device and, once it had clunked itself into life, all appears to be well. Of course I have no way of knowing whether its satellite problems are now thing of the past, until it doesn't work. Until then, I'll just be happy that the device software at least is as up-to-date as it can be. Happy days.

Just updated the software to 2.90 on one of my Nav V's via a Mac.

The Mac is slow to detect the device (I have learned to be patient) and Garmin Express seems to want to re-load each time but hey-ho. Anyway, the new software is into the device and, once it had clunked itself into life, all appears to be well. Of course I have no way of knowing whether its satellite problems are now thing of the past, until it doesn't work. Until then, I'll just be happy that the device software at least is as up-to-date as it can be. Happy days.

Perhaps an emergency wander to Switzerland to test it out? ;)

Hopefully I'll be able to give Garmin a big thumbs up in 3 weeks time.
:augie

It's also really annoying when it displays a steep mountainside as a dark area which makes seeing the magenta route quite hard - anyone know how to turn this feature off?

turn 3d view off

turn 3d view off

Thanks! Although completely thick I did at least manage to turn off the 3D terrain map layer but this didn't make any difference.

I'll try the lovely 2D view for a bit and see how I get on with it.

Me and Mick the Saw both experienced loss of satellite signal strong enough to process a location on the map at the same time in the Mossel valley a few weeks ago - it was relatively low occur acne and there were quite a few trees about - but nevertheless all was Ok I on the 660 that was also with us!

Rik

Me and Mick the Saw both experienced loss of satellite signal strong enough to process a location on the map at the same time in the Mossel valley a few weeks ago - it was relatively low occur acne and there were quite a few trees about - but nevertheless all was Ok I on the 660 that was also with us!

Rik

Update now available for this issue if your not aware.

No got a 590, I will keep checking right up to leaving just in case its posted....probably just after we've gone!

Well, I updated my Nav V to the latest 2.90 software, which brings with it the improved positional and satelite aquisition fixes.

Last weekend I rode the device around the hilly, cloudy, forested Morvan region, duplicating the routes where I lost satellite signals and / or suffered from the device freezing up last time.

I am happy to report all was well. It did lose its satellite fix just once, on a complicated left-right-left junction on a very small road in a deep valley. Re-acquisition again was quite quick. More than acceptable.

10/10 (without going to the Alps)

Back
Top Bottom