Updated maps and existing routes.

paul08

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am after some advice/guidance from the collective:

I have a number of routes that I have created in Basecamp when the map version was 2013.30 (or something). They all worked well and took me around the Eifel and Sauerland in germany with no problems.

I have now updated the maps on both Basecamp & my Nav V to the latest 2015.10 version.

So my questions:

a) After updating the maps, and just before transferring the routes to the NAV V to use, should I open the routes and "recalculate" the route? Or leave well alone?
- I had an experiment and hit the recalculate button, and the route was butchered, even though the update in the maps is hardly likely to have amended the roads my route runs over.
Nothing lost though, as "undo" brought the previous correct version of the route.

b) So, at the moment my routes are all not 'recalculated', maening that they are based on version 2014.30 of the maps. And so, when I transfer the routes to my NavV it tells me that the routes were created with a different version of maps and asks if I want to recalculate. So what should I be doing?

c) And a final question, to finish the import of the routes to the Nav V, I have to open the "Trip Planner" and select "import" to import the routes. That works. However, i notice that there are a number of other versions of these routes sitting there waiting to be imported. I do not quiye understand why or how I managed to get them there, but I have imported the routes I wanted and do not need these routes imported. But there does not appear to be an option to delete them. The only option you get is to import them

- so, is the only way to get rid of them, to import them to the NavV and then, once they are sitting in Trip Planner, to delete them then?

I hope the above makes sense to someone

Answer to C, connect device to PC/Mac & in BaseCamp click on Nav V or SD card & you should see the routes you don't want & delete them. If your using a Mac empty the trash before removing device.

Have you changed preferences or updated BaseCamp since creating the existing routes?

Have you changed preferences or updated BaseCamp since creating the existing routes?

No, nothing changed, other than the map update. But a circular route, on recalculation, becomes one with lots of spikes in it. And, for the life of me, I cannot see why it has done that.

But, when you update the maps, do you also 'recalculate' the existing routes so that they sit on the latest map update?

If you don't recalculate the routes & transfer them to you device the device will also ask to recalculate them.

If you choose no they won't change but may recalculate on the road if a road system has changed from before the update was done.

If you recalculate in BaseCamp you will have to check your route & adjust it to what you require.

Answer to C, connect device to PC/Mac & in BaseCamp click on Nav V or SD card & you should see the routes you don't want & delete them. If your using a Mac empty the trash before removing device.

If you empty trash (Mac) does that actually remove the unwanted routes/waypoints? I usually delete them on the device as deleting when connected to the Mac never worked but it seems I was missing an all important final step :)

Dave

That's usually how Mac's work but I have just deleted a route with device connected though BaseCamp, route deleted but it left behind all the route waypoints so I had to delete them as well. The deleted items did not go into the trash but they have gone from the device & BaseCamp.

Have you normalised the M/C profile in Basecamp or left it in the fecked up state that Garmin seem to think makes sense :nenau

Have a look here. It's an older version and on PC but I'm pretty sure that the same principals apply. Do as instructed in the video and then try a recalculate.

Bumpkin/Iand46: you were bang on about the changes to Preferences. I checked again the avoidances ticked for my "Motorcycling" activity profile. Somewhere/somehow Basecamp has changed/reset them and had included a whole raft of avoidances. Resetting them to what I want resulted in the recalculating of the route producing no visible change.

A short while ago I was "playing around" trying to run the Basecamp update which then corrupted by data log file. That had necessitated me deleting Basecamp and reinstalling the earlier version from my Apple Time Machine. I did not think to check the avivity avoidances.

BTW, I am running v 4.2.4 of Basecamp on an Apple Mac and if I run "Check for updates" it tells me that there are no updates available. Did Garmin pull the v4.3.1 and 4.3.3 updates?

BaseCamp on my Mac is version 4.3.4. I use the BaseCamp download from the App Store. I updated to this version on 26th June

BaseCamp on my Mac is version 4.3.4. I use the BaseCamp download from the App Store. I updated to this version on 26th June

So I wonder why the "check for updates" in Basecamp, which must link back to Garmin, does not offer that update? Strange

The App Store update page lets you know when updates are available. If you have installed the app just reinstall it again & it overwrites the old version.

No, nothing changed, other than the map update. But a circular route, on recalculation, becomes one with lots of spikes in it. And, for the life of me, I cannot see why it has done that

Same happened to me when I tried to load in Gpx files to my Zumo 550 after downloading them from the net and recalculating them in Basecamp. They displayed OK in BC but when sent to the zumo's internal storage then previewed on the unit they were shown as you say as random spikes. I got round it by sending them to an SD card, then putting said card into Zumo. I then imported them from there and when opened they came out fine. Go figure!

Routes I make myself on BC load fine direct to the internal memory, it's just other folks gpx files that seem to confuse it.

Same map issue on unit and PC.

craig10

It's difficult to know exactly why you are having your problem, as there are a number of variables but here's a possible answer:

The routes created by other folk were probably created in earlier or different versions of maps from those carried on your device and computer. For all we know they may even have been created in a Google maps. These third party routes probably have a number of way or via points in them, used by the person who created the routes to force the magenta line along certain roads.

On import of the third party routes to your device these electronic way or via points come across too. Your device sees the points, knows that the route must pass through them but cannot find any roads to match them to, as the maps used were different. So, it does the next best thing, joining the points up directly, hence the spiky lines.

If you recalculate the route on the device, the spikes may vanish. Give it a go; you can't break it.

When you import the routes to the data card, your device has to draw them across to its own internal memory in order to display them. On drawing them across, the device makes the recalculation automatically, hence no spikes.

Same happened to me when I tried to load in Gpx files to my Zumo 550 after downloading them from the net and recalculating them in Basecamp. They displayed OK in BC but when sent to the zumo's internal storage then previewed on the unit they were shown as you say as random spikes. I got round it by sending them to an SD card, then putting said card into Zumo. I then imported them from there and when opened they came out fine. Go figure!

Routes I make myself on BC load fine direct to the internal memory, it's just other folks gpx files that seem to confuse it.

Craig, in my case the issue was the "avoidances" in the navigation mode. When I had updated my BC software my "avoidances" in my motorbike profile suddenly included avoiding a lot more types of road. When I reset the avoidances in the Profile, the problem disappeared.

So, if this ever happens again, that is the first thing I check. And, when transferring a route to your GPS device, it is worth going into System|navigation|Avidances and checking what you have set. Best leave all unticked if transferring a set route across

Craig, in my case the issue was the "avoidances" in the navigation mode. When I had updated my BC software my "avoidances" in my motorbike profile suddenly included avoiding a lot more types of road. When I reset the avoidances in the Profile, the problem disappeared.

So, if this ever happens again, that is the first thing I check. And, when transferring a route to your GPS device, it is worth going into System|navigation|Avidances and checking what you have set. Best leave all unticked if transferring a set route across

Thanks for your replies.

It's the Zarautz loop from Ride magazine. http://www.ride.co.uk/Routes/Spain/ Just checked it out, when transferring direct to internal storage, it's only taking the start and end waypoints across (seen in Edit option on device) so if I try to recalculate it it becomes 2km long as it's a circular route with slightly differing start and end.

The route transferred in from the SD card has all 17 waypoints on it.

Not a problem, just can't get my head round it.

I was sent some routes for a tour as well, they had to be recalculated on the unit even after recalculating in BC.

I've checked that my avoidances are set the same on the unit as in BC. Hey-ho.

It's not unusual that a route, created in an earlier map version, needs to be recalculated on the device, despite being recalculated on a computer running either BaseCamp or Mapsource.

It's odd that importing the nearly circular route direct to the device only sends the start and end points (missing out the 17 waypoints in-between) but sends them all to the SD card. I guess they are sent or it's hard to see how you get the spikes you described; I assume that the point of each spike matches with each of the 17 waypoints? You could check this by comparing the points of each spike shown on the device's screen with the waypoint points shown on the route on your computer's screen. You could also try sending the spiky route from your device to your computer and see what it displays like.

As in the post above, I would have a look at the preference settings. When I updated to the new maps, it did change the pretence settings on my Nav V, turning the speed camera database and warnings back on, even though the settings screen still showed the box as unticked. I simply touched the Save button and it turned itself off again.

Advice kindly given from Chrisjk on my post Aaaaaarrrrggghhh in Zumo590 GPS info

Convert routes to your device as TRACKS, not ROUTES.

Tracks are not subject to change recalculation whereas routes are the results of calculations performed on devices, in Basecamp, in Mapsource etc.
All these are complicated by the various settings for avoidances, the maps in use etc etc. Devices like the Montana, Garmin 60c,
Etrex etc can navigate tracks and I think (not certain) that the 590 can also do so. See this explanation for the Nav V - similar
to the 590 from http://globeriders.com/article_pages...e07_nav5.shtml

Easiest way to convert a route to a track is just to ask Basecamp to do it. On a Mac (or in Windows), right click on the route's name in the left
hand listing and select "Create Track from (Selected) Route". This will create a track with typically a few thousand points which is fine.
It will follow precisely the route as created on the originator's computer.

Tracks:

The NAV5 handles Tracks very well for a Garmin On The Road device. You can Import up to 200 Tracks to the Tracks App and each of those tracks
can have up to 15,000 points. You can have up to 15 of your tracks showing on the Map concurrently which puts the NAV5 in the same league as many
of the newer On The Trail handhelds for showing total Track Points on the Map. If you want to navigate a track you can do so in two ways.
You could just enable the Track settings to "Show on Map" and then following the track path on the map. Or, you could go one much better
and use the "Convert to Trip" option. Start by selecting the Track and then select the "wrench" icon on the overview page. One of the Edit options
is Convert to Trip. This is an excellent feature for those of us that travel on roads or trails that may not be on the map. Converting the Track
will create a new Trip (route) of the same name in the Trip Planner that is usually a complete representation of the original Track.
When I do this I always set the original Track to "Show on Map" and set the color to Black. Now when I want to navigate the Track I go to the Trip
Planner and select my "converted-track" and press GO. What you'll see on the Map page is the magenta route path of your Trip with a black line in the
middle that is the original Track; it's just in case the NAV5 doesn't quite get the conversion correct. This same Track to Trip conversion software
was first developed for the zumo™ 660 so it's been in play for several years now.

Back
Top Bottom