SENA SMH10 Pillion question

LAE

Reaction score
Evening,

I've been looking at both the g9 and the smh10, im interested in the sat nav, phone and music features but dont really need the rest. I will in the future use the bike 2 bike features (possibly with more than 2 riders) so i'll definitely be getting one of them but for the meantime i only really need rider to pillion. Do i need two smh10 or g9 units for this or is there a wired alternative for them. Say one unit for me with the pillion wired in.

Cheers.

Two units.The connection is via paired Bluetooth

Sena works really well, and gets SWMBO's thumbs up

Never really got the intercom thing , all those bloody plugs and wires, the last wired one I tried lasted 1 1/2 miles before I stopped and ripped it out of the lid,
Bought an smh10 set up for touring 2 years ago and it is brilliant, would not go back to 2 up touring without it

Never really got the intercom thing , all those bloody plugs and wires, the last wired one I tried lasted 1 1/2 miles before I stopped and ripped it out of the lid,
Bought an smh10 set up for touring 2 years ago and it is brilliant, would not go back to 2 up touring without it

Yeah great piece of kit . Wish I'd gone for the fm tuner too .

Got the smh10 system, seems to lash the zumo, ipod, passenger and phone (via zumo) together quite well... :thumb2

SMH10 is excellent, no wires, incredible battery life (8 solid hours is more than enough with a pillion), can take heavy down pours, sat nav takes priority and shuts pillion up so you don't miss your turn.

Music wise I Bluetooth from iPhone which means you can use the shuttle dials for play/stop music next track etc.. Can even use Siri.

Thinking about one of these. I had the cardo but the Zumo stops conversation with the pillion. Can the SMH10 give a more natural set up ie talk and Zumo and not either? I can do that with my Starcom and it's works fine.

I have been using the SMH10 for 2 years now and they update and improve their software regularly. Recently they have found a way to connect to other brands of bluetooth intercoms.
Plus you can now stream music to the passenger, thanks. I guess that what I really want to say is that they listen to the suggestions posted in their forum and update the software accordingly. I am sold on them

Wife and I had Scala G4 for a few years but got rid and changed to Sena SMH10 a couple of months ago. Problem with the G4 was that the bases kept breaking - one or both speakers would just stop working. Between the pair of us we went through 5 bases. This included the upgraded G9 base which also suffered the same. Couple of friends had same issue. We also had frequent issues where they'd crash or lose connection with the Zumo.

Sena has been fantastic. Speakers aren't quite as good as the G4/G9 but I use plugs with built in speakers which work perfectly. This is a standard option for the SMH10 but not an option on the Cardo units. Apparently the newer Sena (20s) has far better speakers. If you need an FM radio then the 20s has one, but the SMH10 doesn't.

We've found no drop-out/crashing issues with the SMH10. They are also very easy to operate as there are only 2 buttons. Since we have the phones connected through Zumos we don't even need the second button (phone) and can do everything from the jog wheel.

Spent the last 10 days around France, Belgium, Switzerland and Germany and had no issues at all. Also of use was the universal pairing, which means a Sena can talk to a Scala and other makes, as a mate still has a G4. This worked flawlessly for us. The only side effect is that the G4/G9 users can't use theirs with their phone while universal intercom being used but this wasn't a problem for him.

We were getting 2 days out of the units without charging and there was a lot of sat-nav and intercom in use. The SMH10 can also do music sharing, so you can have both units listening to the same music source if required. We only tried this once, purely by accident, so can't comment on how good it is.

Personally I'd go with the 20s if funds allow, but the SMH10 is a very good unit and I can't speak highly enough of it. I'd never go back to Scala based on the experience of mine, the wife's and our friend's. They were good when working but too many reliability issues.

Scala don't seem to do many software updates whereas Sena seem to release them as soon as someone identifies an issue. They're also adding new features all the time like the recent sidetone addition (you can hear yourself when talking if you enable it so you can gauge how loud you need to talk) and the universal pairing function.

Dae.

Smh10 all the way had it for two years now faultless and as said above there are regular software updates improving the units.

Back
Top Bottom