Hot Weather clothing.

beemerboy9

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have just returned from a trip to Austria (1.5C and snow at the top of the Timmelsjoch) and Croatia (34C) near Zadar.

What worked for me was a BMW Airshell mesh jacket zipped to BMW Denim Jeans. The Airshell jacket has the integral Hi-Viz to keep the police happy and is good for being spotted by cars and bikes negotiating hairpins. The jeans (exact model is Black Denim) were much cooler than the leather jeans I chose to wear last year, which were horrid in the heat. Both the jacket and jeans were modified by Hideout Leathers (thanks ladies!) from short to full-length,all-round zips.

I did not take the quilted, waterproof lining for the Airshell (too hot for the summer) but rather an unbranded hi-viz water-proof overjacket and a pair of not particularly waterproof, and rather ancient BMW Klimacomfort overtrousers.

The only problem in the heat was the efficiency of the RT fairing at pushing aside any cooling air.

I hope that this post might help a first-time traveller with their choice of wardrobe.

Just fine a trip through Belgium, France, Switzerland and Germany. We had temperatures of 5 on the Swiss passes and 39 through France. I've got a leather mesh Spada jacket which worked brilliantly when combined with a good wicking base layer. I too though suffered from the very good fairing on the RT.

Interesting! After every summer tour I vow to equip myself with some decent ventilated clothing. Never get around to it. |Currently looking at the Stadler Airdraft. Will probably have to sell an Atlantis suit to fund it.

I have just returned from a trip to Austria (1.5C and snow at the top of the Timmelsjoch) and Croatia (34C) near Zadar.

What worked for me was a BMW Airshell mesh jacket zipped to BMW Denim Jeans. The Airshell jacket has the integral Hi-Viz to keep the police happy and is good for being spotted by cars and bikes negotiating hairpins. The jeans (exact model is Black Denim) were much cooler than the leather jeans I chose to wear last year, which were horrid in the heat. Both the jacket and jeans were modified by Hideout Leathers (thanks ladies!) from short to full-length,all-round zips.

I did not take the quilted, waterproof lining for the Airshell (too hot for the summer) but rather an unbranded hi-viz water-proof overjacket and a pair of not particularly waterproof, and rather ancient BMW Klimacomfort overtrousers.

The only problem in the heat was the efficiency of the RT fairing at pushing aside any cooling air.

I hope that this post might help a first-time traveller with their choice of wardrobe.

But what about hot weather! 34 C is not hot for Croatia in July, we often get that here in the valleys in southern Austria.. 40 C is not uncommon in July and August down in Croatia, which is why we go in October. But you are right, come anywhere warm in the wrong kit and you will struggle. Most of the summer ride in a lightweight vented jacket with just a base layer underneath. I always carry extra layers and a waterproof.

Oh, and you don't need Hi Vis to keep the police happy, the French nonsense was only ever about reflective clothing not Hi Vis.

John

John.

I use a Hein Gericke suit and carry a one piece waterproof suit.
If I was needing to do short stretches in colder conditions I'd pack a ski jacket to put over the HG.

Back
Top Bottom