Thinking of buying an F 800 GS Twin

Hwlffordd

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
OK having recently sold my GS1200 I'm being tempted back but fancy something a little smaller / lighter.

I'm thinking an 800 GS would be fun to ride, now I'm a big lump and the wife is a wee little thing:)

Anyone got any anecdotal stories from owning one themselves?

Bob

Just gone from a 1200gs to the 800gs pick it up yesterday jury is still out at the moment but once I get it set up for me it should be fine 40 miles old and been used in the rain already

I went from an 1150GS to a F800GS last April, covered 4000 miles since then. First thing to do is change the front sprocket, one tooth bigger. Makes the engine less buzzy. A mudsling from NippyNorman keeps the back end cleaner. I don't like the standard screen,I will try an MRA adjustable one. Fuel consumption is great averaging 63mpg at the moment. It is a very different bike to the boxer twins, give it time to get used to it.

Well I went from an R1150GS to an F800GS in Oct 2011 and it is the best thing I've done for a long time:thumb2
42Kgs lighter but the same 84bhp and my commute into central London from Romford gets me 60mpg as opposed to the 42mpg from the 1150.:eek:
The bike had 14000 miles when I got it and I've just passed the 45000 mark. This has included trips round Britain including a two up trip to Orkney with SWMBO on the pillion. (Which is a brilliant trip, highly recommended.)
Plus as with any GS there are infinite possibilities for personalising it. Mine is very far from standard with a larger screen from Italy, a Sergent seat, H&P hard boxes, a smaller front wheel, HyperPro lowering kit, yada yada yada.
If you are seriously thinking of making the change I can only say: Do It!
SuperTed
The screen is from WRS Evotech; they're on the interweb; in Italy and is a similar shape to the BMW 'touring' screen but is taller and wider; but unlike the BMW screen it cost me 90 euros delivered. Result.

You may find if you are as big a lump as me that even with a wee passenger and a bit of luggage that the rear shock does not have enough preload adjustment to set the correct sag. The cure is a heavier duty spring or suspension unit - or shed some of the load:D.

Anyone got any anecdotal stories from owning one themselves?

Bob

OK ... documented elsewhere, but here goes :D

110,000 miles of sheer pleasure. No issues, no corrosion, no end to the fun :thumb

:beerjug:

OK ... documented elsewhere, but here goes :D

110,000 miles of sheer pleasure. No issues, no corrosion, no end to the fun :thumb

:beerjug:

OK that's a LOT of miles :) an awful lot of miles in fact!!!

Back
Top Bottom