Rider cooling system - Useful or ridiculous?

Marquez

Reaction score
I just come across this product and I was wondering how useful it might be....
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DTr6kBRXNcw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Useless if the air's hot.

I've used a cooling vest which is a bit like wearing a wet shirt under your jacket but lasts for ages, it's brilliant.

Even better - loosen your jacket cuffs, pull the sleeve down so it can be gripped between the heel of your hand and the grip and flex your elbows 'til the air flows up the sleeve and round your back - it really works!

You can also stick a rolled piece of suitable plastic in the cuff to hold it open

It doesn't matter if the air is hot, it just has to be dry (low humidity) so that the latent heat for evaporation is taken from your perspiration - that is what cools your skin

It doesn't matter if the air is hot, it just has to be dry (low humidity) so that the latent heat for evaporation is taken from your perspiration - that is what cools your skin

.....and dehydrates you.

Not true.

Above about 35-38c, the air HEATS your body.....at that point, it gets unlikely that you can sweat enough for the evaporation to work effectively, and suddenly, ducking BEHIND the screen out of the wind flow keeps you cooler than riding in the breeze.

The only option then is the profligate use of water dumped down your top, or something like the spectacularly good Evapodanna that aerostich make.....water holding gel stuffed in tie like tubes that you soak then wear like a scarf, or a big triangular gel sandwich fabric that again, holds lots of water for slow release under evaporation.

Not true.

The only option then is the profligate use of water dumped down your top, or something like the spectacularly good Evapodanna that aerostich make.....water holding gel stuffed in tie like tubes that you soak then wear like a scarf, or a big triangular gel sandwich fabric that again, holds lots of water for slow release under evaporation.

That's what Kritou said wasn't it ?

When riding in Spain in 39 degree midday heat, muggins here decided to embark on some full geared up showering in the Repsol petrol station. I looked a twat dousing myself with a water hose, but the next 150 miles were bliss, goretex being good at slowing the evaporation process. Best of all, completely free:cool:

Back
Top Bottom