Pros and cons of the 700 & 800

Got Wilbers front fork springs and oil in, Wilbers rear suspension unit fitted :thumb
Still wobbles at the bars hands off though ... but for the most I'm hanging on tight so no problem :eek:

:beerjug:
I have Wilbers set up for me, on the 1200, I did think that that's the way to go with the 800. Your voice of experience confirms it for me.:thumb
Thanks Micky
Alan R

I'm still thinking the 800 would be the better choice of the two bikes for me. I've always preferred spoked wheels to mag versions and only one bike comes with a set :p

Have you found any more reliable head race bearings that last longer?

Heavy clutch? Pop round and take my FJ1100 out for a ride, that will re calibrate your left hand!

I've done 27000 on my 800 and loved them all. Nothing has failed, the crap bits (bearings and seat) have been swapped for aftermarket and otherwise it's perfect for 90% of my riding.

Not tried the 700, but the 650 ride like a very different bike - easier, less aggressive, lower! Very nice bike and spot on in town, but I'd miss the extra oomph of the 800 on the open road.

F700gs

I bought my F700 3 weeks ago. now done 600 miles. very pleased with it. clutch is light. brakes are excellent. handles very good. I ride 2 up all the time. fuel consumption approx. 75 mpg. tyres are noisy. but grip well. chain slaps against nylon runners on swing arm. wife complains she hits her knee on the vario top mount when getting off .
mine is a low suspension low seat model. I do like the speedo/rev counter, computer screen. very easy to see. I purchased a touratech rear rack/plate to mount my givi monokey top box, but it is too far forwards. I need to make a plate to drop it back about 4". but I am really enjoying riding it. previous bikes 1977 r100rs. 1978 r100rt. 2003 r850r.

My garage has space from today for the GS as the new owner of the MT-09 rode it away. So the hunt is on and I might just find the right bike with the new plate issue just around the corner, someone could be trading in.
Not sure on the 700 still, as they just don't seem to be holding their money like the 800's do.

Followed the advice and went with my 1st choice. I'm now back in the fold with the 800 and it came with more than I was really looking for.

Well 800 miles in on the F800GS the service did not find the cause of the wobble I think its tyres so will just run it until they need changing its more annoying than anything else getting used to it now no regrets just about got it set up the way I want with a few small changes seat screen etc.

Yes .... but not a wobble on the bars. On perfectly smooth tarmac, 30 to 40 mph, it felt as if the front wheel is out of balance. Usually when the front tyre is about half worn. An up and down movement as if there is a flat on the rim. This has happened several times. Taken the wheel out and had it checked ... still in perfect balance :eek:

I always use Tourances :thumb

A new tyre sorts ... until half worn. More prevalent on tyres sourced from the cheaper outlets :eek:

:beerjug:

I test rode a 700GS last week and found this. First thing that occurred to me was head bearings.

Nice bike, but a bit flat. Very capable, excellent riding position, comfort, equipment etc etc but lacking something the big GS' have. My 1100 was a hoot to ride, the 700 merely 'good'.

The 800R on the other hand was fantastic. I wrote about it here.

Back
Top Bottom