Advice please re coolant F650GS twin 2009 model

itspilsbury

Reaction score
Hi all,
In Norway at the moment on our way back from the Arctic Circle. My wife is riding her F650GS twin which we purchased not long before we came on this trip. She has done 4000 on it and it's now got 9500 on it.
We have just arrived at today's hotel and I notice some coolant has leaked. The coolant header tank is FULL way above max and it has bubbled out the small hole in the header tank filler cap.
The temperature gauge was showing normal....
I'm waiting for it to cool down properly and check the coolant level again.
Anyone come across this with these models before, it's not happened before in the last 4k miles.
Any info or advice please ASAP.
Cheers,
Ian

Hi all,
In Norway at the moment on our way back from the Arctic Circle. My wife is riding her F650GS twin which we purchased not long before we came on this trip. She has done 4000 on it and it's now got 9500 on it.
We have just arrived at today's hotel and I notice some coolant has leaked. The coolant header tank is FULL way above max and it has bubbled out the small hole in the header tank filler cap.
The temperature gauge was showing normal....
I'm waiting for it to cool down properly and check the coolant level again.
Anyone come across this with these models before, it's not happened before in the last 4k miles.
Any info or advice please ASAP.
Cheers,
Ian

If the header tank had been overfilled then what has happened would happen!

Ideally, when cold, nip the tubing from the radiator up to the header tank and have a look in the radiator .... it should be absolutely full to the neck. If not top it up, if it doesn't need much ordinary water will be OK. Replace the radiator cap and MAKE SURE you close it fully into the second notch. Un nip the tube up to the header tank and make sure it's not above the max mark :thumb

As the engine gets hot the radiator coolant expands in to the errr mmmm expansion tank. As it cools it returns.

If you remove the radiator cap without nipping the tube to the header tank then the header tank will empty its contents ;)

Good luck and enjoy your trip :thumby:

:beerjug:

Thanks Mick,
The bike accidentally got laid on its offside (gently) in a car park the other day, so I don't know if that could affect it? I have sucked a small amount out of the header tank with a tube down to the max level and will check it again tomoz when we stop for fuel.
Hey as aside, very impressed with the fuel economy, I know she is 9st wet through, but hey 84mpg is riddiculous!!!!
Ian

You must be riding very gently :) I only get a miserly 70mpg out of mine :)
Well the max speed limit over in Norway are 56mph, and mainly 50mph with big penalties if you get caught, but she is getting a massive mpg. having now got home and been on some 70mph + motorways it has dropped to 80mpg, which is good over 3200 miles which we did.

Back
Top Bottom