How old is 'nearly new'?

Wobble

Hugh Janus
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am looking at a helmet on eBay for pillion use.

See one that is nearly new, worn five or six times, and discover that it's 3 years old...

Am I being thick, is 3 years nearly new?

Nearly new to my way of thinking is less than six months old, maybe a year, depending on the perceived longevity of the item.

The life span of a helmet is what? 5 years?? so then six months is nearly new, but all being said and done, it's still used/second hand!

Just another way of muddying the waters. Why not say the age like six months or whatever. Nearly new implies 2 or 3 weeks old to me but means nothing. I feel it's like when people say never seen rain. Is there no windows in the garage? JJH

The seller is quoting Collins Dictionary and says is in a new condition.

I have suggested he research the five year replacement suggestions and that he considers re wording the ad.

I am looking at a helmet on eBay for pillion use.

See one that is nearly new, worn five or six times, and discover that it's 3 years old...

Am I being thick, is 3 years nearly new?

No you're not being thick as 3 years old is not nearly new
Yes you are being thick because that's not what the buyer claimed

He has relisted the item and makes no mention of the age, he is aware of my comments (re age and five year rule) and still lists as nearly new.

You are,however,being thick by thinking that a pillion only needs lower rated or lesser equipment than the rider does.

Unless,of course,you'd be searching ebay for a 'nearly new' helmet for your own daily use. :augie

The 3 year old helmet sold for £400!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/System-6-...?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Helmets&hash=item2594635657

As to second hand for pillion.. If you have a partner who is not sure if she wants to ride that much, but wants to have the comms between helmets and you already have a BMW helmet, then it's a lot to pay for what may only be a handful of rides per year, and yes, you only need to fall off once, then a helmet that is a couple of months old and worn a handful of times is very tempting.

I doubt she will be on the back of the bike this year, so gives us time to save up.

Back
Top Bottom