Change to the dark side

Flipfly,
I have 1150 and 1200 gsa, on my 3rd 1150 and the 1200 (08) has done 70,000 miles all of which have been pretty much faultless. Only thing that (nearly) stopped it was the battery failed after 4 years. I'd take it anywhere.
Same for the 1150 which, of the 2 bikes I actually prefer.
Only reason not to change the 12 is 7 years of complete reliability.
:thumb2

I left an 1150 for the 1200 Adv. Wish I hadn't, didn't like it. Ending up taking quite a hit on the price and have gone back to an 1100. The 1150 GSA is a lovely machine.

I too have gone from the 1200GSA to the 1150 version. More character, ease of maintenance and, in my view, more robust build quality were the reasons.

I am very happy with my choice.... However, horses for courses. Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Insure with Carole Nash and they will cover your bike for breakdown & recovery in UK & Europe at any age, even a 1950's Sunbeam

Only up to what they judge to be the value of the bike. I.e. If the value of the repair or recovery comes to more than the bikes value they'll only spend up to the bikes value to get you, pillion and dead bike back home. European recovery and repatriation can easily rise to thousands and you could easily find yourself (or more likely the bike) stranded half way back, having to leave the bike somewhere and arrange your own recovery (I think this happened to Rob Farmer a couple of years ago). When you ride a 20 year old 1100, this starts to matter...

I joined ADAC who don't have this restriction

Anyway - talking of being seduced by the dark side, I'm looking at KTM's...

Phil, the 1200 is really a different bike to the 1150. It looks similar but that's about it I reckon. The 12's are just as reliable as 11**'s despite what people say as long as you are aware of potential issue i.e the FD which is no worries if you do a regular rebuild. Funnily enough, on all the big trips I've organised, the only bikes we've had serious issues with are 1150's and I put that down to them just being old and things are bound to happen. They also consistently use more fuel (on average 2 litres per tank full) than a 1200 which could be an issue over long distance riding.

As you know, my 1200 has been brilliant for over 100k and I wouldn't have any thing else as long as I have a choice in the matter. I've ridden a few 1150's since I've had the 12 and they all feel very solid but they are heavy and feel sluggish in comparison. Don't get me wrong, the 1150 is a great bike and I wouldn't have an issue in having another one and doing the big trips I do but I really don't believe the 1150 can match the 1200 in any performance department.

You can pick up a decent non servo 06/07 for sensible money and they will be very well sorted by now. They do have their rust issues but again, if you know about it you can sort it out before it gets to be a problem.

I'd ride a few and give it some serious thought. If you are still pondering in a couple of months when mine is back from the states, I'd be happy for you to use my Mikeyboy prepared bike for a while to give it a good test. It's a real belter.

Back
Top Bottom