Poly V Belt on 1150GS(A), apparently there's a choice?

mspenz

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ok, decided to do the 're-tension after 6k mls' on the v-belt ('indicated by the small triangle on the bottom of the plastic cover') on my 04' GSA today, the belts are supposed to get changed at around 36k and require a one off re-tension/check after 6k mls and so on.
Well, seems that BMW made a couple of changes during the 03-04 years and there are two types of alternator and subsequently two different belts available which can lead to some confusion if you just go by engine type and registration age.
The belt fitted to my bike is a 4pk 595, which is normally fitted on 03' onwards and my bike is registered 14/05/04 and has the the newer Bosch 27-50A alternator, although something isn't quite right.

The alternator is sitting right down against the top of the engine casing and the adjustment is at the most slack position and the belt is tight (90 degree check), the adjuster notches have been stripped, probably because the previous owner has managed to force on a smaller belt and then tried to tension it using a torque wrench?
I don't know how they managed to get the belt on but I think that I will probably have to cut it off as there is no adjustment left to slacken it so I can only assume that I will have to replace it with the slightly longer 611 belt??
I don't have a torque wrench that will go down to 8nm but will get one at the start of the week so that I can do this properly, I was just interested to hear if anyone else has had a similar problem?

Mike

Thanks Cook1e, I had decided that I needed the 611 and this confirms it! Now I just have to contact BMW and get the toothed adjuster plate on the alternator to replace my farked one :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom