Winter Gear

This winter I shall be mostly wearing my furry bear suit.

jesse.jpg

Fixed it for you :aidan

Attachments

• bear.jpg
    bear.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 352
Biffy14, another option is to keep the gear you've got and just wear a cheap & oversized waterproof jacket & trousers over the top. Something like an ex army waterproof rain coat?

First thing get base layers, checked out EDZ, mate recommended Icebreaker a NZ make, anyone know this stuff?

thanks I check out that web site. not sure how much I can spend, though I would like some change out of £1000, incl. base!

thanks I check out that web site. not sure how much I can spend, though I would like some change out of £1000, incl. base!

J and S have just taken in a Rukka Gor pro laminate suit called Armaxion 1k looks a decent rig, streetguard 1 to 1.1k Klim badland pro jacket and trousers about 1 to 1.1k.
Streetguard has a thermal liner Klim doesn't, don't know about the Rukka

Do you think these boys got Their heads together!

Base layers merino wool edz about £80 same for RAB or cheaper at Mountain warehouse if your not full Tosser size

Sent using Tapatalk

Merino thermals all the way. Aldi throw them out for not much money each winter season.

C change is also very good and fully waterproof , I recently changed from the SG3 and I am much happier with the c change jacket , I still use the sg3 trousers though , I have been through a day long downpour in the c change and remained totally dry , the real trick for winter is to have the layers underneath correct .

First thing get base layers, checked out EDZ, mate recommended Icebreaker a NZ make, anyone know this stuff?

Two stuffs in the sentence above, EDZ and Icebreaker.

I have used Icebreaker merino wool base layers for several years and tens of thousands of miles. In a word: Excellent.

The short sleeved T-shirts are good for summer, whilst the long sleeved versions are good either for autumn, spring or for deep winter under other layers. Merino wool kit is not cheap but WILL last for years if looked after

I have not used EDZ, other than their very good inner shell jacket, which I have used for many years.

I long ago abandoned the inbuilt lining of jackets and trousers, finding that it's easier for me to chose how many layers (and of which type) to use on each ride, depending on the weather forecast. For really cold weather, or just chilly mornings when the rest of the day is likely to be warm, I use an electric liner from Rapidefire. It is not cheap but if you do big miles, like Merino wool it will pay for itself. Couple the electric jacket to Rapidfire's very good electric glove liners and their remote dual-control and everything will be hunky-dory for miles and miles, no matter the weather.

................the real trick for winter is to have good base layers and a heated waistcoat or jacket

Fixed it for you.

Icebreaker Merino kit is excellent. You get 15% discount from Cotswold outdoor with the UKGSer discount code which on its own will repay your subs with a couple of sets.

I have an old BMW heated waistcoat (simple on off switch) which I bought slightly used off this forum. I fitted an additional (Hella) power outlet to the Super Tenere to connect it. I find that as long as my suit is windproof, I have good base layers and keep my core temperature up with the waistcoat I can ride for hours in sub zero temperatures and stay warm. I use handlebar muffs and heated grips with my summer gloves in the winter.

This will be the first winter that I ride without the standard BMW boxer foot warmers. I'll see how warm the feet stay this year.

I've been using Warm N Safe heated gear with a wireless remote.

Got socks, trousers and jacket and gloves....

Warm and toasty and use same Halvarsson jacket system with Hideout made to measure leather trousers.

Saves getting bulky !

Whilst suits can be waterproof, my Rukka certainly is, here is something worth considering, I usually put good waterproofs over my suit Why?

Well a suit takes AGES to dry and sometimes not even overnight. When I am travelling the last thing I want to do is put a wet suit on in the morning. It also means that when you stop, you slip the waterproof jacket off, pop in the loo, under the drier for 30 secs and it's dry and the rest of you is bone dry too.

Once riding through a cyclone in NZ we stopped at a McDonalds and left a trail of water so extensive they put out wet floor signs, we popped in the loo and our suits were dry in seconds.:bounce1

Many people think we are mad, but we like being dry and they act as a second layer to keep you warm. I use either the BMW or Alpinestar waterproofs. It also means you can wear a cheap gear underneath.

Laminated fabric like Gore-Tex Pro Shell doesn't soak up the water and dries very quickly, especially if you treat it with the right product when you clean it. Something like Nik Wax Wash-In.

I've got both EDZ & Ice breaker merino wool base layers (separate top & bottom vs. a onesie like Steve might enjoy :green gri)....both are excellent, don't irritate my sensitive skin (!!) and perfrom superbly....

How good is the Klim Badlands Pro kit in cold weather?

Back
Top Bottom