2007 GS ABS module rebuild

MaxB

Reaction score
My abs light is now on full time, and Steptoe has pointed me in the direction of this Youtube vid, which shows how to rebuild the abs module.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFNkluQ_cbM

Before I go and end up with my bike in bits on the garage floor, has anyone tried this?

Any thoughts/experiences/ideas appreciated.

Max.

Hi, I've got one to do on a 2007 K1200s, it's only done 6k so suspect brushes have stuck, it'll be attempted in the next 3 or 4 weeks all being well..
I spoke to the fitter at the BMW dealership & he said he had done one successfully in the past on one of their sales bikes, but it was time consuming at £90 per hour..

There are guys who repair these from approx £350, try ebay or google or even this forum search for details..

Let me know how you get on..

If you are careful to cause no damage it has to be worth a try. If it's not fixable get a professional repair.

I agree with u both, I'm gonna give mine a go, but just been/am a bit busy to do it right now..

Interesting to see if Maxb is first..

I managed to fix mine. When I re attached the motor I used jb weld but after a week the motor dropped off so I drilled and tapped the body and clamped it on. I'll upload a photo.

IMAG0431_zps9eb20685.jpg

if it drops off it cant fall out, you just get the abs light back on.You can have it out in under an hour. When you seporate the motor and open it up i couldnt get the bearing off but i still managed to un stick the brushes ok.Any questions just ask. I looked into getting a used one but the grand total cost of nowt to repair its a no brainer.

if it drops off it cant fall out, you just get the abs light back on.You can have it out in under an hour. When you seporate the motor and open it up i couldnt get the bearing off but i still managed to un stick the brushes ok.Any questions just ask. I looked into getting a used one but the grand total cost of nowt to repair its a no brainer.

Thanks for info, I'm sure that piccy is going to come in handy..

Cheers guys,

Pics & offers of advice much appreciated.

I'm of to Morocco on it in a couple of weeks, so will leave it 'til I get back on the basis that I can live without the ABS for the trip, and don't want to create any problems by delving around in there beforehand.

As has been pointed out, there's no harm in trying it, and getting help if necessary afterwards. Although I'm not sure many 'official' people will want to touch it, as I believe BMW deem it a non-serviceable item (funny that - at 1,500 squids for a replacement).

Andy79 - I'd be interested to know if you used that Youtube video when you were doing the work, and if so, was it useful?

Cheers,

Max.

Hi Max,
Yes i looked at the 2 vids on youtube. They were useful but none of them show how to remove the bearing.I tried all sorts but couldn't shift it. I think i'd have to destroy it to get it off. So just did the cleaning and unsticking of the brushes with it in place.
Its not a bad job really, bleed the brakes after. I have a GS911 to test the abs pump and do the bleed pump run thing but i found that the brakes were fine after doing the normal bleed as no air was present in the system after i did the test. I had the pump off twice ( second time to drill and tap it for the clamps) and both times the conventional bleed of the brakes was fine.

Give the motor a few sharp smacks with a plastic headed mallet if you haven't already tried. It may 'invigorate' the ABS motor by freeing up the brushes long enough to complete your trip.

Thanks for the link to the other video, Andy.

Steptoe did the hammer trick for me when he was servicing it, but it only lasted a few days, unfortunately. Obviously it's a bit too far gone for that...

My abs light is now on full time, and Steptoe has pointed me in the direction of this Youtube vid, which shows how to rebuild the abs module.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFNkluQ_cbM

Before I go and end up with my bike in bits on the garage floor, has anyone tried this?

Yes I have. Couple of dodges worth considering.

1, When taking the motor off get a junior hacksaw blade and remove the pins on one end so you are left with a pull action blade with no projections and use this to carefully cut the peened indentation of the locating lugs off. This gives a really neat finish. There are some vids on youtube showing the use of milling cutters and all sorts to do it and it's not necessary.

2, Be very carefull when displacing the locating blades inside the motor to get the cover off after drilling access holes in the body. I used the semi circle of stiff wire method but still managed to break one off and maim the other, and I'm a reasonably skilled engineer, so you've been warned.

3, If you intend to make a bracket to hold the motor in place similar to Andy's, as i did, and drill and tap the lugs for retaining bolts, the little triangular one is positioned right over the end of the drillings that locate the mounting frame bolts. This means the new tapped holes will be short and will just interfere with the mounting frame bolts. The answer is to pop a washer under these to give your new bolts some clearance. The aluminium of the valve body is very soft so don't go tightening them up with a windy gun either or you'll strip your carefully tapped holes out and many bad words will ensue!

Attachments

• P1000439.jpg
    P1000439.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 392

Back
Top Bottom