Need a new rear brake disc FAST!

Michael R1150GS Adventure

Reaction score
Off on jollies end of the week, just serviced bike including rear pads and I now think the rear brake is playing up.
The disc is well worn and the new pads might be catching the raised edges of the disc causing heat build up and a little sticky, buts not properly binding.

Need to change disc to rule this out as I have checked the pistons and they seem to retract ok. Have cleaned and pushed them in out and all seems well there.

Anyone experienced this prob. I have five days to order and fit the disc!

Anyone know where the best value and fastest delivery of a new disc is? I'm Durham.

Cheers all

If you call Motorworks and tell them you need it urgently they will despatch it the day on a next day delivery. Make sure you call early morning though to give them plenty time.

If you call Motorworks and tell them you need it urgently they will despatch it the day on a next day delivery. Make sure you call early morning though to give them plenty time.

+1 for Motorworks next day delivery as I this service last week. It comes with a signed for/tracking service and is guaranteed to arrive before 12pm the next day. As Topcat2006 says, if you want to use this service call them in the morning preferably as soon after 9am as you can.

I have pads (£16) and a couple of new discs (£72) for 1100/1150 models on the shelf and can get them in the post 1st thing in the morning.

wow thanks all

just had a long chat with a mate of mine who is like many here an 1150 reliable source of wonder gen.

He has had a similar issue with his since new. Reckons its just the pads are new in combined with the oddity that many 1150rear callipers dont quite let go
his run warm too and just get better as the pads bed in and lose a few mill.

Im going to strip again the sliders etc and polish/silicone grease up/rub down the pin and see how we go.

If still buggered im gonna grab Ian (fizzer) and have a look at how the pistons on his calliper move compared to mine.

Steptoe thanks - I cant decide if I need to replace the disc now - i'll grab me guage and measure thickness - slighlty concerend if i replace the disc now it iwll make the clearance even less and the brake might start to grab rather than rub - see how i go - thanks for posting :thumb2

Question for you... has the brake hose been changed from the original? I had a similar problem on my 1100 last year, it was running hot, enough to give me a blister when I touched the caliper, and enough for the brake to stop working when decending the Hardknott pass. (Interesting...:blast)

I tried all the caliper strip/rebuild/lubricate, but the problem continued until I read on here about the hoses breaking down internally and sometimes forming a 'one-way valve'. The brake works when you press the pedal, but the pressure doesn't release fully when you release the pedal.

After all the pratting about, a braided hose cured the problem...

this problem with rubber hoses happens on a regular basis with cars ,the hose breaks down inside acting as a one way valve.

yeah the rear hose is a braided type to the calliper and to the metal tube passing the gearbox :thumb2

ive fully stripped and rebuilt now so hopefully today will prove it better - if not, my mates runs the same and has from new so im not too worried now.

He says.

Back
Top Bottom