Advice please...textile pants with adjustable knee pads?

JKW

Reaction score
After several minutes' fruitless searching I think it might be quicker to ask on here...

Does anyone know whether there is a make/model of textile gear which offers...
  • Long fitting (trousers essential but jacket would be good too)
  • Adjustable height knee armour
  • Pro-shell style construction (i.e. waterproof from the outer layer - no waterproof liner gubbins)
I'm looking for winter gear really as I prefer leather trousers/well-ventilated jacket for 'summer' so it needs to be warm and proper weatherproof. :)

The only trousers I've been able to find which specify the adjustable knee protection are RST (couple of models) and Dainese (TravelGuard) - but all have waterproofing in a liner which doesn't do it for me at all. :confused:

Have you tried alpinestars ?. Their stuff comes up longer both in the leg and the arms, I'm 6'2" and would love Rukka because of style, warranty, recommendation but it just doesn't fit as I would like. However Alpinestars does, though my kit is now coming on for 6 years old and needs replacing. P1 Drystar jacket, and jet road goretex trousers, both have been really good. You can still get the P1 off ebay from the states, an absolute bargain at about £120 (don't you just love ned off the line sales); trousers don't seem available anymore. So I will follow the thread to see what others recommend too.

Offhand, I can think of Rukka, BMW Streetguard 4 ( or any streetguard come to that). All others seem to be an attached liner. Could also try Halvarssons though they're also a Z-liner.

Have you tried alpinestars ?. Their stuff comes up longer both in the leg and the arms, I'm 6'2" and would love Rukka because of style, warranty, recommendation but it just doesn't fit as I would like. However Alpinestars does, though my kit is now coming on for 6 years old and needs replacing. P1 Drystar jacket, and jet road goretex trousers, both have been really good. You can still get the P1 off ebay from the states, an absolute bargain at about £120 (don't you just love ned off the line sales); trousers don't seem available anymore. So I will follow the thread to see what others recommend too.

My issue is that every pair of textile trousers I've tried rides up immediately (particularly the left leg for some reason :confused:) and I end up with knee armour sitting way above my knee.

My BKS leathers don't have this issue - firstly because they are, of course, a much tighter fit than textiles and move less, secondly, the longer knee/shin armour holds them in place better.

The only pair of textile trousers that I've previously coped with was a pair of Spada Mito which have a very narrow leg bottom and fastening this round my boots held the leg down to a certain extent but since I lost weight and went down a pant size or two this approach doesn't seem to work so well.

I have a mate who retails Alpinestars so will have a look at them - thanks.

Lindstrands fit a long leg, I am 34" inside leg and they sit full length, knee pads where they should be.

Offhand, I can think of Rukka, BMW Streetguard 4 ( or any streetguard come to that). All others seem to be an attached liner. Could also try Halvarssons though they're also a Z-liner.

The Rukka kit doesn't have adjustable knee armour (unless it's a secret they decline to publicise).

I did look at BMW this time last year and couldn't get over the fact that it felt like donning cardboard and the neck closure was perfectly placed to crush my larynx. Still, it does seem to tick all the boxes so may be worth another try - ironic seeing as I sold my RT last week and now ride a Triumph Tiger! Brand match doesn't bother me all that much but I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to remove the badges - I don't suppose anyone has ever done that have they? :green gri

I did and that is why i suggested Klim as the Badlands pants have a fair bit of knee armour adjustment in them ! :aidan
Sorry - didn't really mean to be 'smart' :augie - it's just that when I checked out the Klim website there was no mention of any knee armour adjustment. How does it work then?

My new 2014 BMW Streetguard suit is waterproof on the outer layer and has 3 position knee armour. They do long versions in the trousers and jackets which I have. I'm about 6' 4" tall with 34" leg length and my long trousers if anything are slightly too long.

Could always use THOR knee armour and leggings over top ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bears right the streetguard has 3 pockets for the knee armour total adjustment of about 3" shit load of sizing options,

Sent using Tapatalk

IXS Willmore is a Goretex Proshell trouser in a variety of leg length and you could look at Revit models.

Don't know about knee-adjustment.

Hope this helps...

Well I didn't expect to...

...end up wearing one of these.

http://www.spadaclothing.co.uk/productdetail.php?subcat=7&cat=2&product=1539&productname=System Suit 1 Piece

A poor man's Roadcrafter I suppose - no, I know there's no real comparison but I wanted something that would keep the cold out and keep me dry and judging by the previous Spada kit I've had it may be 'budget' but it certainly does the job. It doesn't have the required adjustable knee pads but at this price (and I didn't pay anywhere near RRP) I can afford to pull it apart and move them if needed - thought they do seem to be in the right place fortuitously.

Thanks for all your input though - I hope others found it useful.

Sorry - didn't really mean to be 'smart' :augie - it's just that when I checked out the Klim website there was no mention of any knee armour adjustment. How does it work then?
Klim pants are designed so the armour is low when you stand up. In the shop the armour was almost on my shins, but perfect when sat on the bike.
The D30 armour is poo IMHO, I have forcefield in my knees which I find much better fitting.

The set of trousers and jacket from Revit I have recently bought has all those features. Dutch make, excellent quality and design and a large range to suit want you want to pay. I bought SAND 2 jacket and trousers in black/high vis at £520 for both. Extremely pleased with them.

Back
Top Bottom