excessive fuel consumption?

Simian73

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Had the GS1150 now for a couple of weeks and first couple of tanks of fuel laste around 170-180miles before the light came on, the latest tank has lasted 130miles! Only did a little bit of greenlaning but kept in first and didnt rev the bike a great deal, not sure what has happened there but is this expected that the fuel consumption should drop so much?

Did you knock the TPS at all?
Is the exhaust sooty?

Was the tank full to start with?

The lowest figure I got from my 1150 before the light went on was 160 on a motorway. However when I came to fill it I couldn't get a full 16 litres into it.

You may have just emptied the right lobe of the tank, there is no left to right lobe connection as standard except on the GSA. One of the very few niggles that I had with the bike, BMW penny pinching.

On the bright side when you do run out simply lay the bike down on the right pot and you'll be good for another 40 odd miles:D.

I finally filled up at 140 miles with 18litres so about 37 mpg? That was light on to fully brimmed ie went over the little lip that hangs in the tank to put the pump nozzle on.

I finally filled up at 140 miles with 18litres so about 37 mpg? That was light on to fully brimmed ie went over the little lip that hangs in the tank to put the pump nozzle on.

Try this:

Remove the screws holding the filler and pull it up, drill a 6mm hole about a third of the way down.

It allows you to fill the tank to the brim much quicker because the small breather hole means it normally takes an age to get the last few litres in.

Back
Top Bottom