Ultimate Ear plugs

Green Boy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking for some advice as I'm planning to get some of these and can see there are a few options. I don't need wired monitors as I use a sena 10r kit in my helmet. My question is are the standard (squidgy model) ear plugs for about £60 ok to use or is it worth spending the extra £18 to get the filters fitted to them? I understand that the filters mean that they offer less protection (seems almost a third less) but as I use a cheap version at the mo, it's probably better than I've currently got.

If anyone's got any thoughts on other makes which are worth considering in about the same price range then I'd be interested to hear them.

:thumb2

Don't know about Ultimate, but I got my earplugs from Micky on here. He makes from a mould that he takes from your ear, so they are a bespoke fit. But then I guess I'm lucky as I live not far away from him. Otherwise you'd have to post him one ear at a time!

My advice would be to wait for the bike show. They'll have a stand there and give you all the advice you'll need. They will also do the impressions for free (takes 10 mins at the show), thus saving you having to travel to get them done.

Great kit by the way. :thumb2

But before you go and get impressions taken at the bike show, go somewhere and get your ears checked for wax and cleaned (syringed) if necessary. Ultimate won't take impressions if you have a wax build up.

I have the Ultimate Ear Sound Ear and they are brilliant, good protection and crystal clear comms etc. However, if I wasn't having integrated speakers I'd probably just stick to my Howard Leight disposables - I use them everyday at work and they offer better attenuation and are comfier hour after hour.

If you go to the bike show go see Fit Ear from the US. They make by far the best quality ear plugs. Theirs are much more comfortable than my ultimate ear ones and their speakers versions are incredibly strong unlike my ultimate ear ones which broke despite very careful handling

I have several sets of ultimate ears, i brought the sound ears last yr and they stopped working after one day, they hurt my ears after 100 miles where as the non sounds ears don't.

I've been using the ultimate ear sound ears, without fault, for 4 years now.

I wanted a custom mould in ear speaker, rather than a custom plug & using stick on helmet speakers; and TBH, UE have been superb.

I know Micky makes good plugs and know he will happily give you some advise on solutions....

I've got custom earbuds made by Micky, spot on, and highly recommended - you can even pick the colours you want!

He also makes a pretty decent brew!

:thumby:

Thanks all for the thoughts. I appreciate that this may sound like a fairly obvious question but having never had them, I'm kind of struggling to get my head around how wearing monitors works. I currently have speakers in my helmet which are attached to wires to the controller so... if I were to get monitors and one of these adapters:

http://www.sena.com/product/accessories/earbud-adapter-cable/

Don't you end up with a load of cable to go somewhere within your helmet and doesn't the female socket make get uncomfortable if it's tucked into the lining. As I said, I appreciate that this really obvious if you own them so do humour me on this one...:rolleyes:

My set up is as follows:-

> Sound ear custom plugs: in my ears :D
> Male connector from sound ears plug into my adpated scala rider G4 base unit (attached to the left side of helmet) via female socket; the wire from the ear plugs run down the front/left side of my shirt & then tucks into my inside left pocket
> G4 base unit turned on and pairs with my i phone (for music & phone use)
>>> I choose not to pair with my Garmin

Job done :D

This set up has never caused me any wire entanglement / sockets sticking in my neck etc......as long as you allow some slack of the wire to allow freedom of neck movement

Thanks all for the thoughts. I appreciate that this may sound like a fairly obvious question but having never had them, I'm kind of struggling to get my head around how wearing monitors works. I currently have speakers in my helmet which are attached to wires to the controller so... if I were to get monitors and one of these adapters:

http://www.sena.com/product/accessories/earbud-adapter-cable/

Don't you end up with a load of cable to go somewhere within your helmet and doesn't the female socket make get uncomfortable if it's tucked into the lining. As I said, I appreciate that this really obvious if you own them so do humour me on this one...:rolleyes:

You don't tuck the cable into the helmet, you need the slack to allow you to put the monitors into your ears before slipping your lid down, and plugging the cable into the Sena after the lid's on your head would be hell of a faff!.

I simply loop the excess lead through a pop stud either on a top pocket (if you have one) or down the front flap of my jacket. You need to keep sufficient slack to allow full and free movement of your head without the lead snagging. HTHs

Ok - now I get it. Clearly I was over thinking the problem!

:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom