BMW Off-Road skills course

Sgt Pepper

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Not long been back from BMW's off-road skills course (level 1). Had a great time, learnt a lot and had some serious fun. :D You can now choose between the F650, a Dakar or the 1200GS-I choose the Dakar and managed to get a 10 min tour of the Brecons on a 1200 one lunch time. The 1200 was good but the steering was heavy compared to the Dakar off-road. The Dakar did very well with its chugging torque and was fairly nimble in some very tight spots. All the bikes were brand new when we started. Best moments were charging up a rough 45 degree hill about 200 metres long and drving through, what can only be described as, a small lake. The atmosphere was very good and the instructors responsible, patient, and knew what fun was. The course does look expensive but I don't think any of us thought it wasn't worth it afterwards. :thumb

Did it 2003. Very happy to recommend it. Well worth it, taught me things I didn't know and made me do things I wouldn't have wanted to try on the road! Before you ask, yes, I did fall off. And we all made it through the Henry's Ford as they call it, though not without some trepidation! Apparently they replace the plastic parts on the 650's at the end of each season and sell them. The rest of the machine seems to come through fairly unscathed - quite surprising really...

Can you please stop talking up this event, it costs too much, the content is all wrong, the equipment is overrated, and its no fun at all. :mad:

OK so I really want to do this and I’m just jealous.
What bikes did you do it on ? and what do you normally ride ?
G C

I had a 2005 Dakar. They are bog-standard but stripped of indicators and mirrors. I have a 2002 Dakar and had a go, as I said, on a 1200GS. I was pleasantly surprised how good the Dakar is off-road.

Yes, apparently they do just replace the plastic parts at the end of the seaon and sell them.

RTGLOBE said:
Yes, apparently they do just replace the plastic parts at the end of the seaon and sell them.
They don't any longer, at least since Bath Road Motorcycles bought the whole lot from the '2004 season' course.

They sold them of "as seen" at between £2,990 and £3,250 re-fitted with (or including) the original tyres, which were swapped for TKC80's before being used on the course.

The bikes all sold very rapidly, some purchased over the phone and unseen by the buyers. Full warranties applied so some new owners got real low-mileage, one-lady-user bargains. :)

Here's part of their delivery parked outside the showroom.

<image border="2" width="400" height="282" src="http://www.trevorgeorge.myby.co.uk/temp/bath_road.jpg">

G.C. said:
Can you please stop talking up this event, it costs too much, the content is all wrong, the equipment is overrated, and its no fun at all. :mad:

OK so I really want to do this and I’m just jealous.
What bikes did you do it on ? and what do you normally ride ?
G C

Gordon
I'm heading south in three weeks time! I'll take some photos so that you can share the experience!:D

TTFN
Andy

ps Send me directions of how to find you. If the weather holds, I may be out for a ride tomorrow.

RTGLOBE said:
All the bikes were brand new when we started.

Not unless you were on the first course of the year with us they weren't :D

I managed to hole one :eek:

Attachments

• cover2.jpg
    cover2.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 376
Chisurz said:
Did it 2003. ... Very happy to recommend it. Before you ask, yes, I did fall off.
Doesn't everyone ? I was told "If you don't fall off - You're not trying hard enough". :D :D :D

One of the best fun, adrenalin packed weekends on a bike I have ever had.

From memory, the industrial estate where we all met was a bit aukward to find the first time, but I've now got the OS Grid Ref or GPS co-ordinates on another computer, if anyone wants them.

Re: Re: BMW Off-Road skills course

Dahoum said:
Not unless you were on the first course of the year with us they weren't :D I was ! :eyebrow I was on one of the pair of Dakars kitted out with white boxes/jerrycan arrangement parked in their 'offices'.

I managed to hole one :eek:

I saw the hole...and the oil ! I also saw one of the other 1200's ridden by Fred?

OFF ROAD CENTRE: SN 77710 09501 or N51.77075 W3.77377 or N51 46.245 W3 46.426

ABERCRAVE INN: SN 82442 12873 or N51.80207 W3.70637 or N51 48.124 W3 42.382

Whichever one you feel most comfortable with Enabb. You will meet at the off road centre (its a small industrial estate) which is where you do the prelims, paperwork, collect the bikes etc. When I did mine, there was an evening meal at the Abercrave Inn - about 4 miles further up the A4067.

:) So you lads rate the course , wat at awaste of money.Get ya sen up to yorkshire,no we won,t charge ya,just buy the beer .One off road ride we did last year,lad said i,m ok i,ve done bmw off road coarse.Of we set ,up to cam fell,me 2 up with cybil[wife] on back,she looked back,were the f--k are they.Looking foward :D :D :D to the proposed gs festival in south wales in july:beerjug:

As far as I could see only the Instructors were using the 1150's. It may have been a logistics thing? If you're interested I'd give them a ring to check it out. Overall there were probably a dozen 1200's and about 3/4 1150's plus the 650's.

Regards.

Gecko, Migsel and I are going on the one in Germany in June and we have 1150 Adv's booked (well Gecko and I at least), so I hope they are still using the 1150's!!!

Back
Top Bottom