Aeroflow (TM) Screens for R1150GS - Experience ?

Alex B

Lost Planet Airman (retired)
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am planning a (seriously) long journey on my 1150GS and am contemplating a "heavyweight" screen to get me out of the buffeting and wind noise which will be inevitable. Last time I made a 3000 mile journey at high speed I ended up fatigued every night ! This journey will be twice that.

Anyone out there with experience of the Aeroflow screen ? Word seems to be that it's the last word in effective screen technology for the GSs, but rather a lot of money too.

Thanks

Alex B

simply the wrong bike

is there an argument that for such a long, high speed, presumably tarmac journey the gs is just the wrong bike. Unless you are tiny, part of your upper body is bound to be buffetted .

cant you borrow an k1200lt or an rt for the trip?

i know this doesnt answer your question, but there is a validity to my point, also its 5.40am and i have nothing better to do.

where are you going anyway?

Big Gordy

Hooray Mr Big has finally stopped SHOUTING :)

Anyway, it being 11.55am and I have nothing better to do..

I met some dude at the Belgian GS do the other day who suggested that about half the people in this club would probably be better off with an RT. I myself used to own one (ex-plod, R80RT), and very nearly bought an 1100RT instead of the GS. But three things stopped me:
a) The extra weight
b) In summer, in London, I nearly died of heat exhaustion
c) The 1150 RT was not available at that time, but was due.

But if I had bought an RT, I would not have gone on the World of BMW off road course, and never have joined the TRF, and would have had to sell the DT125 due to lack of use.

And I would never have joined this club, then the girlfriend would never have come to Llangollen to see what the fuss was all about, and everybody would not have been so nice to her that she just had to go to Belgium, and then Simon & Georgie wouldn't have told her that she just had to go to the Nordkapp, and I would not be going motorcycle touring for my holidays this year, so my RT would be sitting in the garage whilst I would have been sitting in her Subaru somewhere in France, heading for a hotel and a beach.

So no, I dont think anyone should get an RT. Ever. Even if it probably would go off road just as well as a GS ....

After trying taller versions of the stock screen I bit the $$ bullet and bought the aeroflow.
No regrets at all
I was getting neck pain before and contemplating reverting back to 4 wheels. The aeroflow has sorted the issue; much less buffeting. Sure it's bizarre looking and turns the bike into a R1150 gs/rt, but it means I can keep on riding and enjoying it.

cheers
david

....oh yeah, and did I mention that when I had an RT I had an old visor stuck to the top of the screen to reduce the noise and buffeting....

Thanks for the "interesting" replies. What are you lot on ?

North Africa is the answer, where the roads are there but the tarmac is like chopped toffee. Some roads are sandy tracks, not much more. I was there last year (Morrocco and then in Saudi). The roads are a bit rough for an RT and you'd get pretty darn hot behind that fairing. Rest of it is tarmac but the winds blow fierce across the desert. It's tough riding where you only ride in the morning and late afternoon/early evening.

GS is what the experts recommend. RT/RS out of the question.

Alex.

David E ....

Sorry, meant to ask ...... did you buy in UK or USA ? and I presume you bought the full top/lower screen unit ? (not the Aerogards).

The extra tall looks like good value for money compared to the standard, but can you see through it at night ?

As for looks, is it weird attractive, or weird ugly ?

.. and did you fit it yourself ?

Cheers

hi
i bought the screen from Calamander in the UK - they are the uk agent for aeroflow (www.calamander.co.uk)
I'm 5'10 and the standard screen is fine (lower part plus standard sized upper). I look over the top of the screen not through it.

easy to fit yourself
no aeroguards- just the standard small horizontal winglet bits that come with the deal and help reduce the updraft from round the front of the tank

weird ok - i'm getting used to it. and if it works for me then weird's fine!
cheers

Buying the Aeroflow has for me turned the GS into the bike that can do everything. I'm back to using my beloved Arai open face thats been packed away since selling the Pan Euro three years ago, and cruising's no problem @ 90mph. It is expensive, its a bit ugly (I have it in clear - loses the bulk particularly on a yellow bike) but it does work - and you get lighting mounts beneath for easily adding spots and boosting the useless main beam. I'm 6ft and standard size screen is fine. Well made and good fitting instructions. Bit of a liability off-road mind, but then so am I.

Mark

Any chance you could post a picture of the Aeroflow on the site ?

Cheers

Alex B

Back
Top Bottom