Fairing Ripped Off

CeeKay

Travelling at 80 mph (upright thankfully) the front nearside fairing came loose and half ripped off, the 2 fixings at the rear of the panal held it on although ripping part of the thin ally.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Yeah, mine came off at speed on the A34 the day after I got the bike back from the dealers. They reckoned my Baglux tank cover was the problem as the side covers didn't properly fit anymore. They bodget it with some cable ties so it can't come off again.

This is designed to happen They are connected to the brake servo. When this fails, as it will , a small solenoid is operated , opening the air brakes, which most people think are side panels.
This, when combined with the small amount of residual braking left, assist the cycle to come to a safe halt.

Den said:
This is designed to happen They are connected to the brake servo. When this fails, as it will , a small solenoid is operated , opening the air brakes, which most people think are side panels.
This, when combined with the small amount of residual braking left, assist the cycle to come to a safe halt.

This would explain why the nearside fairing opened, safety first, bring you towards the kerb. :D

CeeKay said:
This would explain why the nearside fairing opened, safety first, bring you towards the kerb. :D

No, they are both meant to open at the same time.
Surely another fault. Bejeezus, is there no end to these niggles.

Pukmeister said:
Yeah, mine came off at speed on the A34 the day after I got the bike back from the dealers. They reckoned my Baglux tank cover was the problem as the side covers didn't properly fit anymore. They bodget it with some cable ties so it can't come off again.

Yes, the dealer would say that. But its b**cks - the panel will still fit well with the tank cover providing the sloppy kids they employ as mechanics (and call technicians) can be bothered to put them on properly.

They are connected to the brake servo. When this fails, as it will , a small solenoid is operated , opening the air brakes, which most people think are side panels.

And just in case it dont work, I keep a parachute in the top box :D

And I had been losing sleep about why some of you silly buggers in the southern hisphere had top box bail out issues.

Now I know what that fine gosamer protection in the bottom of me old box is for!

On topic / no fun:
It happened to me too. At 140 km/h, the left panel got lose at the front.
It happened just after a dealer service.

Bottom line: The front attachement / bottom half has a very weak bit of thingy. If not replaced exactly as it was, or if if it slightly damages (wich easely occures), it will get lose.

My dealer has replaced this bit with the same type of holder as used at the rear (the metal type ones), and now it is secure.

I have heard of 3 more Germans who had this. It's a bit rare, but still....

If the side covers are fitted correctly, they cannot come off. The front bottom one that is secured from the inside is the tricky one.. it takes about a half turn to engage.. turn more and it's loose again. The easiest way to check after a dealer service is to tug on the front bottom of the covers, if it's not fastened correctly, it will come away from the body of the bike..

Don't rely on the service center to fasten it correctly. Always check. If it's secure, it's not going to loosen by itself.

Me too. Dealer said theyd had a B*W warning notice about it and have replaced dammaged parts FOC.

Happened to me at 110mph (indicated) in outside lane of M62 trying to make the Hull-Zeebrugge ferry. We made it to the hard shoulder before I'd really figured out what had happened. Missus calmly said "Take the thing off and I'll hold it till we get to the boat". Pulled up at the queue for the ferry behind a van-load of Classic Bike racers off to Chimay and I thought "Those lads will have cable ties." Job done.

The clips are not a great system. I hadn't touched them. All replaced under warranty of course. Running the replacement without cable ties but I keep a few under the saddle now.

Front fairing clips

I found that instead of twisting the clips to lock them, with the clips at about the right angle they will click into place and self aligne. Mine have not dropped out yet ( famous last words )
Mike.

I have bought a DZUS fastener to replace the crappy plastic fastener and used it on my damaged panel after the panel partially blew off. It does require a little local modification to the panel to help it line up but it appears to be working.

Blaming the baglux cover is a crock of crap as it happened to my other panel before I fitted a cover. I guess BMW don't want to admit to a piece of crap design.

Yep, ,me too. I had one replaced by BMW and theey refused to do the other one which happened more recently. I am convinced the clips are crap and that they come undone as I hadn't had the panels off for over a fortnight and had covered a couple of hundred miles some at speed before the last one came of at about 60 mph. The DZUS fasteners used elswhere on the panel will replace the original item either that or zip-ties.

Happened to me about two weeks after getting the bike, problem with the bottom clip and I the fact I had not refitted the panel properly after one of my many fiddling sessions. :(

Must admit I would far rather have a conventional Dzus fastener fitted rather than the turn it one way and its locked solution.

After reading the tales of woe some time ago, just to be safe I drilled a small hole on inside of the panel and put a cable tie in to hold the panel in place.

Mind you my dealer never seems to replace the cabe tie after the bike has been in for a service.

I even discovered that the dealers "courtesy" bike panel was loose after a couple of miles. The bottom clip wasn't even in the panel. Needed to used a bit of string that i found ion a layby to hold the panel in place.

happened to me prior to having the baglux fitted - the first time i rode on the motorway (bike brand new) . offside panel fully detached at 70 m.p.h.

Dealer apologetic, panel / fuel tank flanking panel ( silver metal panel left and right towards rear fuel tank) replaced at first service under warranty, fuel tank side panel replaced again one week later so that they "coulour matched"

since fitting my baglux i use a discreet webbing strap (just above the BMW emblem) as "belt and braces"

Back
Top Bottom