1150GS screens - again

carlhowe

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Has anyone any experience of any screen for the 1150GS other than the aeroflow - I am 6'6" and get blown about a bit with the standard screen.

Some clown said that the Adventurer screen would be sold by BMW for 30 quid.

My enquiries at Bath Rd in Bristol: £97 + VAT + extra for fitting kit

I think I will not be buying one then.

Despite an email from MPS saying that the Powerbronze screen was available further enquiries found that they had lied.

Time to get the Blue Peter kit of gaffer tape and cornflakes box out methinks.

TBM Mag test of the Adventurer say the new screen on it is as bad,if not worse than standard screen.
Do what I did - buy the MRA 'Vario - Screen' for about £100 in UK and you've got 5 height positions to choose from.
Should suit most of you from short to tall.

wunderlich

carl, like yourself I am 6'6", and had problems with the standard screen. I bought the Wunderlich (new for 2002) screen a few weeks back, this I believe is better. It is not perfect, but better.

Unlike the adventurer screen, you keep the 3 way adjustable fitting on your GS, The advent is fixed.

I am yet to try the Wund screen on the highest setting, or on a prolonged motorway trip.

Try riding your gs with the standard screen, but put the seat on the lower height, this may help until you sort the screen out.

The Wunderlich screen cost £110. by the way

Big Gordy

Carl,
As stated previously , this Wunderlich screen is a MRA Vario Screen and Wunderlich have decided to sell it through SPC in UK.
However you can save some money by going to the UK MRA importer - web site is www.mra.de or do a search on MRA screens and you'll find it.They sell it for £95-99 in UK.

Found the address of UK importer - BBE in Brum on 0121 7844001 or in Northampton on 01604 810011 or their website - www.bb-europe.co.uk
The MRA website gives all the details of the screen with pics and is in English as well.Check the link in the above post.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at the MRA screen - £100 seems a lot better than the £300+ for the aeroflow.

Carl

Gents

Can we be serious and honest (as well as scientific) here.

Looking at the design of the MRA and the Aeroflow, which are quite different in many respects, I think we can't seriously infer that the MRA is likely to be as effective as the Aeroflow - at least not unless the science of airflow and turbulence has changed recently.

The MRA is good, no doubt, but the Aeroflow is surely the superior screen technically in all respects - that £300 price tag is spicy and too much in my view, and reflects the deep pockets the dealers think we BMW owners have, but nonetheless is a better reflection of its significant technical superiority over almost all its competitors.

Alex B said:
- that £300 price tag is spicy and too much in my view, and reflects the deep pockets the dealers think we BMW owners have, but nonetheless is a better reflection of its significant technical superiority over almost all its competitors.

...and the fact that there's about 5 times as much of it, which is another reason people dismiss them.

but does the improvement the aeroflow gives justify the three times greater price?

i could buy an aeroflow, but unless someone buys my old (as in 1985) and rusty (as in used in all weathers all year and not cleaned) K100 - as of yet no interest from adverts - no point advetising it here - we all have (i presume) superior machines.

Nice to be quoted ...... but the fact that it's as expensive as it is reflects a number of factors, including the relatively high cost of the screen in the USA where it's made (although it's about 50 USD cheaper there), the fact that it's a 2-piece article with a tad more "engineering" and that it probably works better than most others (although on this point I'm quoting others !).

I guess by ".. 5 times more of it" you mean it presents a much bigger surface area, which some feel is unaesthetic and ruins the "look" of the bike. I can't comment on that. Maybe. Maybe not.

The Aeroflow isn't that well known to be honest. I spoke to 3 BMW dealers, one of which said he'd never seen one, and 2 of which they'd seen one once in a while. That could mean they're very undesirable or maybe that they just don't get sold at £300 a shot.

Any Aeroflow owners out there like to comment ??

Alex B

Carl

To answer your original question, I currently have an ERMAX screen which I bought 2nd hand from a gent on this board. It's a superbly well-made screen (build quality I thought was superb) and although it offers a bit more protection than the standard screen (it's about 3 - 4inches talller) it's still not fantastic and I still get blown around in windblast. Pity. I suspect most are the same although you'd need an MRA Vario owner to give you a truly honest view - and ask them to be honest too !! I'm convinced that an extra 3 - 4 inches in screen height does not make enough real difference unless you are under 5' 9" tall and as I am 5' 11" and have the seat in low setting, well, the windblast and buffetting is still there at anything over 50 mph in open territory.

It's a tall, tall bike and that's what you get.

To be frank, I've noticed less turbulence with no screen fitted at all, although the bike looks a bit weird !

Alex B

I have the MRA Vario and being honest ,
I'm 6'2" and about 17 -18 stone, with a 31" inseam and ride on a Corbin , set on the highest setting.
The Screen is in the middle 'tilt' position and screen height is 2 notches from top setting. This is for normal riding and I found wind blast and buffeting a lot better - not much of a real problem.Wind noise is no better and I still wear ear plugs.For fast motorways I raise the screen to its highest position and this is more acceptable.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for that, if you are 6'2", then I guess youve got a long body - about the same as mine sine I'm 6'6" witha 36" inseam (hence I need the seat on the high possition).

Wind noise is not a problem - I always wear ear plugs (for some reason I ride faster with them in - why? it is not because I go slow to reduce noise without them).

I'll ahve a look at the BMF see if either screen are on show (or on someones bike) and then take the plunge - I must get something sorted before too long

screen

Cool screen?

Attachments

• chocolate lesbians.jpg
    chocolate lesbians.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 252
cool screen

For sale at Wunderlich.
for R1150GS,

Artikel-Nr.: 8160089
280,18 Euro(Carbon)

Attachments

• rolf.jpg
    rolf.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 402
Last edited:
Nice to be quoted ...... but the fact that it's as expensive as it is reflects a number of factors, including the relatively high cost of the screen in the USA where it's made (although it's about 50 USD cheaper there), the fact that it's a 2-piece article with a tad more "engineering" and that it probably works better than most others (although on this point I'm quoting others !).

I guess by ".. 5 times more of it" you mean it presents a much bigger surface area, which some feel is unaesthetic and ruins the "look" of the bike. I can't comment on that. Maybe. Maybe not.

The Aeroflow isn't that well known to be honest. I spoke to 3 BMW dealers, one of which said he'd never seen one, and 2 of which they'd seen one once in a while. That could mean they're very undesirable or maybe that they just don't get sold at £300 a shot.

Any Aeroflow owners out there like to comment ??

Alex B

I know it's an old thread but i am trying to find a GS owner with an Aeroflow on it in Australia. Yes they are dear, l'll pay if it works!. Have at present an XL calsci screen that works ok but is too narrow at the top end of it ad have homemade aluminium brackets below to stop the wind from coming around under the screen. Kinda like winglets but larger.

I have two 1150GS (one is adv), now have aeroflow screen on both. I am 6'6" tall and can sit at any speed without buffeting, brilliant screens. I do not use the winglets.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom