Reactolite Visor

Cooky

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a reactolight visor/insert that goes properly dark when the sun is out and not just a darker shade of pale like the fog-city one?

Had one of these last year and it did go dark when exposed to the light, but took over an hour to return to being clear when taken into the dark. Brilliant when you ride into a tunnel!!

Totally NFU, IMO.

Mike, do you know of any further developments of the electronic visor that you have the link to?

Ever thought of a pair of glasses with photochromic, non prescription lenses? Less likely to get scratched than a 'ever so expensive photochromic visor'. You could get a pair on line, just a few easy measurements to make sure they fit, job done. Doesn't matter if you change helmets either.

Andrew C said:
Does anyone know of a reactolight visor/insert that goes properly dark when the sun is out and not just a darker shade of pale like the fog-city one?

I don't think any of the 'Reactolite' inserts work. I have tried three, one from Fog City,one from a Dutch company whose name I have thankfuly forgoten and one from a mate's helmet (make similarly unknown). Three out of three failures was enough. It's a pity as the regular 'clear' Fog City works 100%.

Get a dark visor and carry a spare clear one.

mike6631 said:
or try a Schuberth helmet with the built in visor?

Mike

Or the Laser Revolution flip front,with a double glazed clear visor which never mists up,and an internal pull down tinted sunvisor. :thumb

Yup! sold by...

Andrew C said:
Touratech but for goggles only-
Light sensitive, Double skin, Art. 3235
TT part 01-500-0151-0
Ersatzscheibe-Doppelglas-light sensitive fur brille.

(yes I know, it's not a 'visor' per se but for you goggle-wearing-chaps out there) :D

Reactolite glasses are no good because the visor cuts out most of the u/v light that triggers the 'react'.

Schuberth helmet with flip down visor no good because anti fog is so bad that you have to crack open the visor which makes rain run down inside of visor which makes you open visor which means your glasses get pisssed on. I hate that helmet. I know this wouldn't apply in sunny conditions but I want 1 all purpose helmet. Fog City no good on a Schuberth - visor too curved.

Goggles no good because I like the protection of a visor.

I've opted for eye-surgery (not laser - I'm not suitable apparently). Bit drastic but I'm doing it mainly because I hate glasses not just to address (one part of) this problem.

After lots of messing about I found that gaffa tape over the top third of my Arai RV visor was the best compromise. No wonder so many couriers do it :idea

Andrew C said:
Reactolite glasses are no good because the visor cuts out most of the u/v light that triggers the 'react'.

Schuberth helmet with flip down visor no good because anti fog is so bad that you have to crack open the visor which makes rain run down inside of visor which makes you open visor which means your glasses get pisssed on. I hate that helmet. I know this wouldn't apply in sunny conditions but I want 1 all purpose helmet. Fog City no good on a Schuberth - visor too curved.

Goggles no good because I like the protection of a visor.

I've opted for eye-surgery (not laser - I'm not suitable apparently). Bit drastic but I'm doing it mainly because I hate glasses not just to address (one part of) this problem.

After lots of messing about I found that gaffa tape over the top third of my Arai RV visor was the best compromise. No wonder so many couriers do it :idea

My solution:
A BMW System V with clear 'double-glazed' visor - perfect for winter- never had it steam under torrential rain/freezing cold etc
Using goggles with above lens which I fit with quick-relase mountings (after removing visor) for sunny climes/heat etc
Perfect combi
Surgery----hummm pass!

I'm sure I read somewhere that Schuberth intend making an electric anti-mist visor, as they did for the System 2? helmets. I had one and it was brilliant, the visor never misted up no matter how hard I tried....

Andrew C said:

I have some AA driving reactolites that I inherited - they seem to work fine with my standard Concept visor. Unusually, they go completely clear too, unlike most of the others I found that keep some residual tint even in the dark.

I still do the tape thing as well though. Cheap and easy, and if you use a bit of SOLAS tape, you get a safety bonus too.

i used to have a see thru grey fablon across the top 1/3 of my visor.

instant sunglasses if needed :thumb

an interesting point

Hi guys i just had a thought why is it that my welding mask at work is a fastglass and reacts in an instant the second i strike up with a mig welder the visor reacts and blacks out so why doesnt someone go down this route and make a toned down version that reacts on its own to dark and light conditions :nenau

Dunno if this is any good for anyone, but I've got a box of coloured OHP films here...A4, in various colours......blue, red, green , yellow........thin, very flexible but pretty strong.

They might well be ideal for cutting off a strip and sellotaping the edges so you get a coloured tinted film across the top of the visor???

If anyone wants some, I'll happily stick a few of each colour in the post for you and you can give it a try.......PM me and I'll send you my addy so you can send a S.A.E ;)

Back
Top Bottom