Rear Huggers - recomendation?

cookiemonster

hi

My first 400 miles on the '12, over the last couple of days, were in rain, sleat and snow and my wife, riding pillion, was coated in salt and general crap thrown up from the back wheel. I think lesson number one is: if its raining, make sure you have a pillion to catch the huge quantities of road muck coming your way :) Lesson number two appears to be, if you want your pillion to accompany you again, get a decent rear hugger.

So - there are lots of "I've just got a rear hugger" threads, but how about some recommendations after you've used them for bit? Some of the rear huggers on offer appear to be "cosmetic", e.g. the touratech one is tiny. It looks like either wunderlich or the motorad ones are the only serious huggers on offer. The fitting of the motorad ones may be a bit questionable though. I'm looking at something that stops the pillion getting coated in crap and that fits without to much drama.

jon

Check out Motorradconcepts hugger:-

http://www.motorradconcepts.com/bmwr1200gs.htm#gshuggerblack

Great bit of kit, available in various colours, and "British Made"

Another vote for the Motorrad Concepts hugger. I've had mine on the bike for thousands of miles now in all kinds of weather and it has been really great. Here is a little page I wrote up about installing it, not that installation is at all difficult...

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/emoto1/hugger.htm

hug-close-side.jpg

Emoto said:
Another vote for the Motorrad Concepts hugger. I've had mine on the bike for thousands of miles now in all kinds of weather and it has been really great.
And another.

6k miles and it still looks new.

And it works.

Kai :thumb

Shaun, i reckoned the TT one looked like it was from the same factory as the chocolate fireguard; it looks about the size of a postage stamp :)

I read (I think) that some of the motorrad huggers didnt go on too straight, am i mistaken?

thanks for the replies btw

jon

cookiemonster said:
I read (I think) that some of the motorrad huggers didnt go on too straight, am i mistaken?
The first batch of Motorrad Concepts huggers, the carbon fibre ones, were poorly made and were all recalled. There may have been a batch of the later glassfibre ones which didn't fit as well as they should have but, again, I believe that any problems were remedied.

The Motorrad Concepts guys appear to be very committed to making good customer service central to their business. I'm very happy with my MC hugger.

Huggers

I can confirm that the Motorad hugger and front mudguard are easy to fit and good kit.The early hugger did have a problem but this is now rectified.Had mine on for 8K now. The extended front is very effective.The rear, not quite as efficient, but much better for the pillion and rider, than original equipment.Just returned from a trip up to Shropshire across the Long Mynd and some very dodgy roads.Bike still reasonably clean after.
Good service from Motorad Concepts and they get my vote.

Yesterday I fitted a Pyramid hugger bought from my local BMW dealer for £120. I can't comment on performance cos I haven't taken the bike out yet but it looks good and seems to cover all the right bits. One of the guys in the dealership runs a 1200 with one fitted and he recommends them. (But then he would, wouldn't he?)
:)

Pyramid Hugger

Can you please post some pics? I have tried the net, but to no avail!

I can also vouch for the Motorrad concepts hugger, it keeps the shock, your boots & lower leg protected from all the road spray but does nothing IMO to keep muck off your pillion etc. I`ve found my back to be covered in muck but unless the hugger is made another foot longer it can`t be helped! to sort out that problem you need some sort of rear spray guard http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/b...on=touratech:55B8969F6CACBA801E442E255B93B2F9 or attachment to the bottom of your no. plate :thumb

Another Motorrad Concept hugger & splash guard. 6000 miles no probs and still looks like new, colour blue of course to match the tank. Splash guard stainless. Brill bit of kit.

ED

Pyramid Carbon Fibre Hugger R1150GS for sale

I have a Pyramid Carbon Fibre hugger for sale, I fitted it but then decided I to fit nobblies, so its immaculate condition. New £135, willing to part with for best offer over £70 before I stick-it on Ebay.

captain_dangerous said:
I have a Pyramid Carbon Fibre hugger for sale, I fitted it but then decided I to fit nobblies, so its immaculate condition. New £135, willing to part with for best offer over £70 before I stick-it on Ebay.
It's not going to fit a 1200 though, is it........
dozey.gif

KAYCEE said:
Check out Motorradconcepts hugger:-

http://www.motorradconcepts.com/bmwr1200gs.htm#gshuggerblack

Great bit of kit, available in various colours, and "British Made"

Seconded!

:beerjug: :beerjug: :beerjug:

I got a 12GS hugger from Nippy Normans (great service as usual). It is a Pyramid one and there are photos on the NN site.

It makes a big difference, but there was still some krap coming through on the left hand side and getting onto the edge of driver's seat.

The answer was to make up the rubber mudflap and side pieces as descrbed on www.r1200gs.info

Half an hour's work with some cheap carmats from Halfords.

As the Churchill nodding dog would say "Aaahhh Yesssss" :cool:

I have just bought and fitted a pyramid carbon hugger - fits good - looks good - seems solid enough :thumb

Back
Top Bottom