Bike Lift

Hi,
for all those of you, who feel that they can't pick up their fallen bike without the help of others, here's a proven solution:
Although having had no physical problems myself so far, with putting my R1200GS on its two wheels again under normal conditions, I have gone through all of this How-to-pick-up-a-fallen-bike-single-handed many times, just in case, as I usually ride alone, and some of that far off the normal roads, in some quite remote areas.
While based on the same principle of pulling the bike upright, my contraption consists of a strong (300 kg), yet very small and lightweight come-along clamp made by the German company MEILI, model "Kleinseilzug T50" (http://www.hebezone.de/frameset/content/proddat/300/325_t50.shtml), and a ground anchor that I made from a short length of a climber's rope ladder and a number of iron pegs that, if each one of them is firmly nailed into the ground at one of the ladder's rungs, will jointly anchor the ladder very securely to the ground.
Therefore, and instead of trying to quite precariously pull a very heavy load by hand, all lifting is done very easily and under complete control of the situation at any moment, by simply operating the said come-along clamp, no additional lever(s) required.
Needless to say that the hooked end of the clamp's steel cable needs to be fixed carefully (by a short end of climber's rope for example, so as to not scratch paint or damage anything in that area) to a suitable part of the bike's upper frame (such as just below the seat), while the hook of the clamp itself has to be attached to the said ground anchor (or a strong tree, a big rock etc.) at a short distance from the fallen bike.
That way, virtually no effort at all is required to pull the bike into a standing position again. However, and as you don't want to see the bike fall on its other side this time, pull only until the bike has reached a nearly upright position!
Once this was achieved, stop operating the clamp any further and the bike will remain in exactly the same position that you've pulled it into; nothing more simple as to then walk over and finish the job :clap .
Hope my English was understandable, and this contribution of use for at least some of you.
Cheers,
Andino

nick said:
So, would it work ?

Any idea how to carry a 6ft length of 4x2 with you ?

I was wondering why the Chips bikers have a wooden pile fastened to their machines.

Now I (a) feel thick
(b) understand

Back
Top Bottom