GS1200 Adventure Lugguage

Yellow Peril

Reaction score
Just had interesting conversation with my local dealer over lugguage for my new adventure. The existing GS12 pannier will not fit the new bike at all, is this a clever way of selling the more expensive Adv lugguage? Along with this touratech have confirmed that their current Zega pannier system for the basic GS12 will not fit the new ADV, this one does puzzle me a bit but thats what I am told.

Also told my bike due to be deliveried in May, although I have it ordered for Sept, not taking it till then :D

Now a question for those electrical wizards, I like the switch gear on the Adv for the fog lights but the lights them selves are orrible but the switch gear is a factory only fitted option, my question will I be able to simply remove the orrible BMW fogs and fit the more stylish and in keeping with the bike Touratech ones?

Can't see why either of these are true. The GSA luggage was tested in South Africa on a standard GS. AFAIK, to fit GS panniers on a GSA you would need to remove the GSA rear carrier, which means if you wanted a top box, you'd need to buy the GS rear carrier.

Paying £300 for lights and then removing them is an expensive way of buying a switch and some wires. The lights can also be purchased as a special equipment retrofit from dealers, though I don't know whether the switch gear is available separately (don't see why not though).

Tim

Got to agree with Tim on the luggage issue, if you look at some of the pictures on the site people have posted of the new bike you can clearly see that the mounting points are the same for both the GS and the adv.

dsc01963_sm.jpg

Just fitted a set of Hepco and Becker frames and thye use spacers just like in the pics although they do use both rear mounting points on the GS rather than just the one on the Adv in the pic.

Must admit thats what I thought only passing on what was told. Although for the stand luggage you would have to get rid of the rear rack on the Adv.

Yes expensive lights a mere £220 but bound to find some one to buy just the lights :thumb

Tim the switchgear does appear to be hard wired to the bikes loom and does not appear to be a dealer fitted option.

As to the dealer right or wrong strictly speaking he is right, as you have to remove some parts of the adv set up and add a few bits from a standard GS to be able to fit standard luggage.

The lights are the Touratech ones (fog) but with a 'new' housing! I'll either take one of them off to put my Xenon on (will want new wiring though because of the alloy high voltage supply box thingy) or put the Xenon on besides... now that'll confuse the buggers :confused:

£770 for the panniers ... HA! I've got two sets of H & B (Large 'Gobi' and the smaller 'Junior' cases) plus a couple of roll bags.... mmmm methinks I'll just get some H & B frames when they come out :D I know that the H & B crash well :eek:

Strewth £770 for panniers.

Mine due April 1st. :bounce1

White Rabbits white rabbits white rabbits white rabbits

Was speaking to Peter over at Motobins the Hepco and Becker distributors and he has heard that H and B will have a 1200 adv specific set of frames for their luggage although it appears they do use the same mounting points as the 1200 GS.

Think very carrefully about the luggage system - the standard system has proved to be weak in proper GS conditions (many broken brackets, bouncing topboxes et al) ... that is why it was outsourced to TT for the Adventure and the frame is now seriously braced, and cases zega quality. You would need to take the rear carrier frame off the standard GS, then fit the PLASTIC! rail/bracket mounts and you will be set up (for disaster? :) Consider the new cases or TT/Zega or HB ones that will fit (ie anything that fits the standard GS will fit the ADV). I am personally considering just the topbox at this stage for starters and a roll/softbag.

Re the lights - they can be retrofitted as an extra. I prefer an Autoswitch to the overkill BMW thing and will fit it will my Hella F50's and probably the Adv light bracket.

Back
Top Bottom