Resetting Locks on Vario Panniers?

Graham G

OK...OK...not a technical bike question...more accessory...

I'm in the process of selling my new BMW Vario Panniers and Top Box. I've never used these, but had them on the bike when I purchased it new 6 weeks ago.

My question is: the pannier locks were 'set-up' to work with my ignition key. If the boxes are being sold - how are the locks 'reset' to someone else's key or a general key.

If anyone can enlighten me, it would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
Graham G :thumb

Graham, if you're at all technically minded, it's easy.

The locks are made up of several rectangular-ish plates (leaves) set in the barrel of the lock. The plates have holes in them, with a small nubb sticking into the gap. The nub on each is a different distance from the top of the plate, which corresponds to the height of the wavey line on your key.

Any locksmith can supply appropriate leaves, as can a lot of BMW dealers. The whole job will take about half an hour with the right leaves, but again any locksmith or most dealers can do it for you.

HTH

Thanks Wizard...just one follow-on question

Hi Wizard,

Yes, I can see what you are describing. In terms of the leaves I'm assuming I would have to get new leaves that corresponded to a new key - so effectively the cases would have a key of their own rather than my ignition key?

Thinking about it - if I'm selling the cases I could just leave them unlocked and the buyer could get the new leaves that corresponded to their key?

Kind of wish I went for a separate key option now.

Many thanks,
Graham

Graham G said:
Hi Wizard,

Yes, I can see what you are describing. In terms of the leaves I'm assuming I would have to get new leaves that corresponded to a new key - so effectively the cases would have a key of their own rather than my ignition key?

Thinking about it - if I'm selling the cases I could just leave them unlocked and the buyer could get the new leaves that corresponded to their key?

Kind of wish I went for a separate key option now.

Many thanks,
Graham

I suggst you sell him your ignition key as well. :mmmm

That way the buyer will not be inconvenienced.

Actually, having thought a little more, it would be more in the spirit of GS Tossers to GIVE your ignition key to the fellow.

Actually go one better...

Wapping - Yeh, the idea of selling the ignition key did occur to me - but who wants to pay £11K for a top box and two panniers? :tosser

Graham G said:
Wapping - Yeh, the idea of selling the ignition key did occur to me - but who wants to pay £11K for a top box and two panniers? :tosser

Lighten up. I didn't mean it. :thumb

No..no..I am lightened Up!!

Hi Wapping,

I am lightened up. If I could flog the panniers for £11K I would believe me. Having spent quite a bit of time looking around this site - the one thing I know is that you have got to hack the banter...and I do. I'm chilled...which means - no sweat! Oh, yes...and I just love using the Tosser smilie.

My old Gran (or was it my Mum?) used to say to me "If you didn't mean it - then why the f*ck did you say it?" My reply was always, "What does f*ck mean?" :nenau . Never regret anything you say...just be prepared for the consequences.

:D :D :D :tosser

Goddamm Wapping! I just bought your top box and u never gave me the key :D

Joking apart many thanks btw. All arrived OK. I will send you the lock back as soon as I have had a new one fitted. Awaiting a call from my dealer who is due to do some recall work and fit some new rubber and he will sort out the lock at the same time. I haven't forgotten.....honest.

Piebaps...

Hi,

When you bought your top box from Wapping (we get along in real life!) did you just take the box 'unlocked' until you sorted your own locks out?

...and you are sending the lock back because Wapping can reuse that on another box / pannier? Ah hah! Now I'm beginning to see this whole lock issue a little more clearly.

Have appreciated the posts (and the friendly banter!!!) in this thread.

Cheers,
Graham G :beerjug:

Graham G said:

When I did mine, I got away with moving the leaves about (there's an extra position or two you can use IIRC). The guy I got mine off did exactly that...... left them unlocked..... and I did the rest :thumb

piebaps said:
Goddamm Wapping! I just bought your top box and u never gave me the key :D Joking apart many thanks btw. All arrived OK. I will send you the lock back as soon as I have had a new one fitted. Awaiting a call
from my dealer who is due to do some recall work and fit some new rubber and he will sort out the lock at the same time. I haven't forgotten.....honest.

Graham G said:
Hi,When you bought your top box from Wapping (we get along in real life!) did you just take the box 'unlocked' until you sorted your own locks out?...and you are sending the lock back because Wapping can reuse that on another box / pannier? Ah hah! Now I'm beginning to see this whole lock issue a little more clearly.Have appreciated the posts (and the friendly banter!!!) in this thread.Cheers,Graham G :beerjug:

Piebaps, delighted that the topbox arrived in good shape, you can never tell quite what is going to happen. When you are at the dealer you might as well ask him to do the small cut outs that need to be made to the rear fairing to allow the support legs to bolt on.

Graham G, No worries all is happines. :) Yup, on both questions.

I remebered to package the box up unlocked.

I can use the lock as a spare (but it's a BMW and nothing can go wrong, Ja!) for the panniers and / or I ever buy another topbox. More likely it will sit in the garage along with other 'useful' pieces gathered over the years.

Best thing to do is to take the locks out of panniers and top boxes when you sell them ... some of them are a swine to get out if you don't have the key that fits ... once out you can just wrap a lttle tape around the pins so they don't fall out ... far easier for the new owner to code them if they are already out...

Ste@SSB said:
Best thing to do is to take the locks out of panniers and top boxes when you sell them ... some of them are a swine to get out if you don't have the key that fits ... once out you can just wrap a lttle tape around the pins so they don't fall out ... far easier for the new owner to code them if they are already out...

...thanks for this...strikes me as good advice...I'm sure there is an instruction book in one of the panniers - just shows I was eager to open them when I got them!

Many thanks.

Flogging them after six week, are you sure your wont need them?

I ended up getting the full set of BMW boxes when I picked up my GS.

I’ve found them dead useful as they expand when needed, it’s a real novelty to stow away two lids in locked up in safety or to lug loads of gear about.

Back
Top Bottom