1200GS Tank Bag Dilema - TT or BMW

Dan Glibitz

Reluctantly, as I hate them, I need a Tank Bag for an up and coming Euro Trip.

I dunno which bag to get, either the Touratech 16 litre (Or it's expanding sibling) or the BMW one (That's bigger than my house :D )

having ridden briefly with the BMW one, it seems a great bit of kit, although it mirrors my gut shape, feeling like balancing a ball on another ball. Seems to hamper low speed steering etc but great at speed as it's somewhere comfy to sleep on those long French Toll Roads.

anyone out there use a TT one? Easy to fit? Easy to remove to fuel up? Any tank scratching?

advice (On this subject only) much appriciated :) :bow

Had the TT one, lots of good ideas like the webbing to hold your gloves in on the side. Didn't scratch, the only possible downside I'd say is that the map pocket is a true A4 size which looked a bit funny when empty, but very good when full :eek:

Even a BM salesman thought it looked good. BTW I had the more expensive one of the two, HTH.

TT expandable gets my vote, every time.

The detachable map pocket is excellent.

They have bought out a new version with a waterproff liner as well.

Get a Famsa tank bag from Caveman and save yourself a load of money. :thumb

We used one on a 3500 mile European trip last year and it performed faultlessly.

Highly recommended and excellent quality kit.

Andy

Using the Wunderlich tank bag... can't fault it. User friendly, easy to put on/take off, fits great, just the right size, and got some handy ideas incorporated.

:beerjug:

www.adventure.gs

Attachments

• Tank bag-Wunderlich.jpg
    Tank bag-Wunderlich.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 460
Humbug said:
Get a Famsa tank bag from Caveman and save yourself a load of money. :thumb

We used one on a 3500 mile European trip last year and it performed faultlessly.

Highly recommended and excellent quality kit.

Andy

Seconded

I use the BMW bag and I like it - it really is waterproof, which is a damn good place to start.

It isn't perfect, though. the bum bag needs to be be removed to get access to the zip for removal, although the removal process itself is relatively simple. And the map pocket is just a bit too small to fit a map in without scrunching it up, which is infuriating.

I haven't seen the others in the flesh so can't comment. (I wouldn't ordinarily have bought the BMW one without looking at others, but I got it thrown in by my dealers to compensate for a slight hiccup over the delivery of my new bike last year.)

Eric_Norman said:
Got a baglux on mine works great and not too high

I have a Baglux Citybag too; it's nice to have an upholstered tank, and it's just big enough to carry what I need (7ltrs?) without getting in the way.

If you're big like me you'll hate the intrusion of anything bigger - I originally got a bigger Baglux bag, can't remember the name - something odd - and swapped it because it intruded into the seat area.

Fitting:
http://www.crypticide.com/users/alecm/albums/2005-baglux/

Barely visible, in Norway:
http://www.crypticide.com/users/alecm/albums/auto-2005-vacation-pics/__660h-img-0414-jump.html

I bought a Marsee. I was not happy with the fit. Or rather with it not fitting.

I ending up getting the BMW bag.

It was a lot more money, but it fits like it was built for the bike. :D

More space too, I use it as a tent as well.

Pic's of the TT bag and info. for Dan G.

Dan, in answer to your request for some pic’s:

Here is the hook that goes under the VIN plate, with one half of the zip.

Tankbagpics001.jpg

Here is the hook in place. It’s held taught by pulling the thing backwards, against the hooks and securing with Velcro. Has been OK for many miles.

Tankbagpics002.jpg

Here is the other half of the zip, permanently attached to the bag

Tankbagpics004.jpg

Here is the strip of velcro that holds the back of the bag. It ties beneath the seat, with the top leading edge itself velcroed to the tank. Again, been good for loads of miles.

Tankbagpics003.jpg

Here is the tank bag, zipped on.

Tankbagpics005.jpg

Another, fuller view, along with the large map carrier.

Tankbagpics006.jpg

Two rear shots

Tankbagpics007.jpg

Tankbagpics008.jpg

A side shot, with the elastic to hold gloves

Tankbagpics009.jpg

The bag, unzipped at the front, and ‘hinged-back’ for fuelling

Tankbagpics010.jpg

It’s yours if you want it. 1/3 off list price plus P&P just as soon as I can get a new one from TT

The bike has done 12,000 miles. I guess the bag has travelled about half to 2/3 of that distance.

No tears, rips, burns etc. just dusty and / or a bit of general road grime. Would brush up a treat.

Robin said:
I use the BMW bag and I like it - it really is waterproof, which is a damn good place to start.

It isn't perfect, though. the bum bag needs to be be removed to get access to the zip for removal, although the removal process itself is relatively simple. And the map pocket is just a bit too small to fit a map in without scrunching it up, which is infuriating.

I haven't seen the others in the flesh so can't comment. (I wouldn't ordinarily have bought the BMW one without looking at others, but I got it thrown in by my dealers to compensate for a slight hiccup over the delivery of my new bike last year.)

I have only used BMW one - don't have to ever remove the bum bag to get it on & off - perhaps mine is put one differently. It is really enfuriating that the map pocket doesn't fit a folded Michellin map!, but anyway it's too close to me to look at comfortably on the move anyway - or at least under my gut :)

Back
Top Bottom