Centre stand paint?

dave hendy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My 1 year old 1200GS is having its service today whilst booking it in I mentioned the centre stand which is the only part of the bike with any rust (obviously from stone damage). They said BMW wouldn't pay for a new one under warranty so they wouldn't change it and that I should touch it up myself! :spitfire Not very good for such a new bike and one they can see has been well looked after. Also they must use pretty poor paint and not a lot of it, The side stand is a much better finish. I did not have this problem with my Yamaha's which had done 4x the mileage and was 2 years older.

Anyway can anyone recommend paint with a good match so I can fix it myself? :nenau If I get another BM I will take action when I first get the bike! :confused:

BMW replaced mine under warranty no quibbles! Just ask if they think corrosion is acceptable on a one year bike. It happens sure enough but that doesn't make it acceptable. If they say it is I would really kick up a stink.

I believe there is some sort of euro-enviro-law which means that water-based paints are now the norm.

In common with many euro laws, it is completely counter productive

(speculation)

Get some silver paint for the frame too because the paint may fall off there soon too

Powder coating is quite cheap,in UK terms maybe 15pounds. But it don't last, I had 2 coats powder coating done and it lasted a shorter time than the OE paint. We have people in South Africa that rubberise the load boxes of LDV vehicles, I am considering them to coat it with rubber. I am not sure that the rubberising option might be available to you.

I will mention it again WHEN I get my bike back. Went to pick it up tonight to be told there computor had crashed while doing the softwhere upgrade and it wouldn't be finished today. I may get it back tomorrow otherwise it will be Monday. At least I've got a loan bike (1200RT) but I did finish work early and ride all the way over there for nothing.

Back
Top Bottom