Virgin Traveller

WOGZIE

I am planning two months away, beginning next month and would like to go to spain, probably Plymouth Santander, then up through Spain maybe stop Pecos Europa area and head into France, up to Poitiers area, than accross france to Vienna and then back home to blighty. Whilst this may seem a bit of a daunting trip for a virgin traveller, I would welcome any advice, tips on places to visit, warnings and general advice as me and the "Big red one" (GS850) are itching to go and this will probably be a "once in a lifetime oppertunity"

So far, bikes in for full 30k service, BMW extended warranty will be current for trip,any advice on dealers in aforementioned places in case emergency.

Using std BMW panniers, hein gerricke tank bag, Oxford tail bag, tent etc.

Richa Tour jacket, leather trousers, overtrousers and light fleece shirts, minimal clothing.

AA 2003 road atlas Europe, any other suggestions?

Trangia stove (meths) mainly for emergency brew up/meal, platypus water carrier,first aid kit,

Any other neccesities advice on what paperwork would be well received.

Thanks in advance, anyone in Europe from June/July, keep an eye out for Fat beardy guy on big red......

Euro Touring

Chuck out the Road Atlas - too big,impractical and once wet-will be as much use, as wet bog roll.
Instead buy Michelin maps,smaller.more practical and show the best biking roads.
BMW Emergency Assistance for Bike and medical cover.
Go to the Picos,Pyrenees,the Carcassone area,up to French Alps via Provence and Gorges Du Verdon.
In the French Alps,do all the Ski resorts and thus the superb mountain passes,into Italy for a bit of culture and into the spectacular mountains of the Dolomites,then cross into the Austrian Tyrol,over the Glossglockner,up towards Salzburg stopping over in Southern Bavaria.
After Salzburg , venture over towards Linz and onto Vienna.
Spend a couple of days in the city,then I would cross over into Hungary and stay at Lake Balaton (Europe's largest freshwater lake),stay at Kesthzely.
Then you could go to Budapest or cut back to Vienna and upwards into Czech Republic,one of the jewels in Europe,especially Prague - got to be the most beautiful of all European cities.
After Prague,visit Dresden and former East Germany before heading to the Rhineland of Germany, before returning to Blighty.
There you have it - you're very own European Grand Tour - easily done in 2 months.

oH BEARDED ONE..........

:D

Also, take all the original bike docs, E111, tetley tea bags (as jonny foreigner have crap tea bags)

sense of humour, eng/deutch popular dictionary (99p whs) plenty of euros (especialy for my 200 superkings - blue) on ur return trip!

;) anything else ur short of call round, bound to be in my garage!

Bilks. (c u soon m8)

My suggestion is ride to Newhaven, take the ferry to Dieppe. From there, follow the coastline. Points of interest:

-Upper Normandy (my website Mike-Werner.org will give you all info on what to see)
-Lower Normandy (Honfluer, Caen - war memorials and landing beaches)
-Mont St. Michel (a must see)
-Ile de Re (that's a one day affair)
-Bordeau (and all wine region)
-Toulouse (visit Airbus...)
-Andorra (stock up on duty free)
-Spain (not my speciality - ask around)
-Perignan
-Mont Pellier
-You can then head to the middle (Claremont Ferrard) or go via the med (Marseille-Cannes-Nice-Monaco).

Then head of Italy or Switzerland.

On the way back (Hungary, Austria, Germany), go via Alsace, Paris, Dieppe to catch your ferry.

Clothing

You are going to be travelling at the height of summer so with regard to your biking clothing you might want to consider swapping your leathers for a pair of lighter textiles in a sun reflective colour because the leathers will be unbearably hot and sweaty - even better if the textile trousers are waterproof also. I don't know what your Richa jacket is like but again if it is a heavy, dark jacket more suitable for English weather you might want to consider a lighter one.

Have a great trip.

My advice? Stay in Spain for as long as you can. Forget being a world adventurer and enjoy being part of the country.

Spain & Portugal are big enough to let you live the lives of locals rather than a blur across their vision.

Spain is nicer than France generally and is certainly cheaper, especially petrol. Take in the Picos of course, but they are a gnat's spit from the northern ports.

Have a little run across to Valladollid and then down the Duero/Douro into Portugal to Oporto, down to Lisbon. Loop round and take in the classical sights of Andalucia, Jerez/Seville/Cordoba/Granada then cut upwards through Valencia and the back routes to Barcelona. Do it justice and then go to Frogland.

Stretch the route to take in other places that come to mind as you go; Gib, Toledo, Segovia and even Madrid itself. Try to go to places where you might well be the only Brit..... Extremadura shouls help with that!!!

Defo ditch the big atlas and buy local maps that you can keep for those long evenings at home when you get back, or ditch them. Michelin are always good for local mapping. The Orange series - 441 to 446 cover Spain in nice chunks.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom