Tubeless Puncture Repair

pikeydave

Reaction score
Fate and a fully charged digital camera all combined early on Sunday morning to demonstrate to you lot how to fix a tubeless tyre puncture with the BMW repair kit. I haven't done one for about 8 years so was a bit rusty but it only took about 10 mins and was ready to ride straight away.

This is what you get when you open the bag.
3 bottles of gas
Adapter
razor blade
3 plugs
Glue
Puncture plug Tool
Bit of plastic gauze to save your pinkies from the cold
Oh and some instructions but we don't need those.
kit2na.jpg

The puncture. Notice how Cookie used his superior riding skills to pick up the nail dead centre!
puncture2hq.jpg

Now I cheated a little bit and used a pair of SnapOn pliers to get the bugger out but BMW's are fine(tool snob :confused: ). Don't twist whatever it is in the tyre because you've got to fill that hole in a minute.

pullingnail5cf.jpg

Feck me how long is this nail?

dsc018433up.jpg

Picture of old nail(shouldn't this be in Airheads?)

dsc018440kt.jpg

Now hold your tool firmly in your hand.

dsc018454aq.jpg

Now contary to BMW I had a little prod about with me tool to feel the angle of insertion!

dsc018466wi.jpg

Now for the solvent abuse. Remember it says it's SPECIAL CEMENT BL(typeface to big to fit the word 'blue' on tube). It's SPECIAL because the stuff goes off and turns to rubber since the last time you used it 8 yrs ago. So get a fresh one. (Fine after 6yrs but still sealed)

dsc018474vq.jpg

Spread some on your tool and poke it in the hole. Make sure it's moist..mmm

dsc018480gy.jpg

Now you have had unprotected penetration with your tyre it's now time to be sensible and use a rubber. Now you have to get this plug over the fork and the best way is to stretch it widthways to thin the rubber as it's pulled into the fork.

dsc018495bf.jpg

Lube up your tool as what follows will feel unatural!

dsc018507yg.jpg

Now this will be tight and a bit of a struggle but keep if straight as you force it in. NO SCREWING. Push it in till your balls.. till the handle is on the tyre

dsc018512rj.jpg

...and withdraw.. it should look like this :confused:

dsc018539hs.jpg

All that's left is to trim the excess plug off and you're done as far as the puncture repair. Don't worry about shaving it flush to the tyre, leave a bit so you don't disturb the solvent bonding with the rubber and so you can find and monitor it. Now you can limp to the garage and order a brand new replacement tyre or say bollocks to that it's staying on my bike till its bald!!I don't need to go over filling it with air now do I?

dsc018549tm.jpg

you forgot to mention the bit about pushing your tool in and out a few times after you'd inserted it the first time.........

to clean / roughen the edges of the hole a bit :)

Back
Top Bottom