Riding to Turkey

It's true that there are many speed traps. These are most done by radar, and can be seen in advance as there are triangular warning signs before they start. These signs are often very small though, and rest on the side of the road rather than on poles. The official speed limit for non-motorways is 90km/h, although I always keep to 100, never more, and find I don't get stopped. This might be because I have a Turkish plate bike and that foreigners are seen as an easier target.

On motorways (which are all toll roads, cheap though) the limit is 120km/h. They have no radar/speed detectors as yet, and so traffic often tends to travel at 140-160. Beware tunnels around Izmir, as they now have some kind of verbal speed warning system that suddenly booms out a message, scaring the crap out of people.

Beware tunnels around Izmir, as they now have some kind of verbal speed warning system that suddenly booms out a message, scaring the crap out of people.

I look forward to testing this out this week when the bike comes out of the cage at the port!!! Yippeee can't wait.

Riding back to Antalya.....the long way!:D

Don't forget about the Marmok bike festival, between Marmaris and Datca. 22-28th of June.

speed limits

It's true that there are many speed traps. These are most done by radar, and can be seen in advance as there are triangular warning signs before they start. These signs are often very small though, and rest on the side of the road rather than on poles. The official speed limit for non-motorways is 90km/h, although I always keep to 100, never more, and find I don't get stopped. This might be because I have a Turkish plate bike and that foreigners are seen as an easier target.

On motorways (which are all toll roads, cheap though) the limit is 120km/h. They have no radar/speed detectors as yet, and so traffic often tends to travel at 140-160. Beware tunnels around Izmir, as they now have some kind of verbal speed warning system that suddenly booms out a message, scaring the crap out of people.

I beg to differ on limits-at least for bikes. When I was booked (both times) I was shown a printed sheet saying 77 kmh ordinary roads and 89 kmh on motorways.

Or is it all a massive plot?

Stayed with a Serbian biker last night who was done for 240 euro in Turkey, and they wrote it in his carnet so they got him to pay at the boder.

Another reason not to get a carnet!!

Simon

Agree with Simon. On "A" roads, speed limit for cars is 90. Bikes is 77

Oh well, you learn something everyday.

I imagine then, that the 77 limit is only applied when they see a foreign plate, as I've never been stopped when averaging 95 or so. Filthy, dirty, speeding foreigners.

speeding foreigners

Aren't you lucky?

97 kmh was a 23o YTL fine (ie c 115 euros) and 93kmh was about 177 YTL.
Coincidentally those 2 speeds average to 95 kmh.

So be warned!

One was by Lake Egurdir, and the seond near the Kilis border crossing to Syria.

Simon

Crikey what did that do, row the fekka out there :D

Bike has been here for over 3 weeks, have been trying to get it out of customs since then...........been interesting so far.

Don't forget all the things I told you in the email!! :rob

Thanks for the reminder, just refreshed my memory. Just arrived in Izmir and will be seeing the bike in the morning so will let you know how it goes!

:D:thumb

Advice

Hi,

I rode through Turkey twice last year on the way to and from the Red Sea and really enjoyed it. Bombed down through France and Italy on motorways to Bari. Ferry (the Greek and cheaper one) to Igoumenitsa and then across northern Greece to Thessalonika, not a bad ride. Crossed into Turkey at Ipsala. No problems getting through there but avoid holiday weekends when there can be delays. Then headed south to the Ferry at Canakkale. Not a great fan of coastal resorts and Izmir one of the worst cities I've driven through, but Selcuk and Ephesus great. Pension Diana worth checking out in Selcuk. After that I headed across the centre to Lake Egridir (beautiful), Konya and Kayseri to Avanos and the Zelve and Goreme gorges. Again beautiful countryside but also some long straight upland stretches. After that south to K. Maras and the Syrian border. Loved the area south of Antakya and across the Syrian border. The way back was motorway nearly all the way to Istanbul - busy but not as bad as Izmir. Northern Turkey into Bulgaria not terribly interesting.

Roads good and a great variety, petrol expensive and accommodation on a par with Europe. A huge and surprisingly green and fertile country, great people. Well worth the time to get there. There really is so much to see and do.:D :D

Fantastic note - I want to do the same trip next yeat but ending up getting the ferru to Cyprus from Southeren Turkey. I've never ridden past Italy before and woudl be grateful for any info on a) Ferries from Italy to Greece - where, how do I book, do I book out there on over here etc ect, b) Secure accomodation (for the bike that is!) and particular sights you enjoyed c) Tips for crossing into Turkey from Greece (where, time etc).

Any info gratefully received.

Best wishes

Peter

Hi. Happened to see your comments about leaving a bike in Turkey. I was planning to ride down and leave for 3 weeks with a Friend and return with my wife to ride it back to UK. From what u say this doesnt sound possible? Thanks JJ Jeremy

Hi Trooper,

Like your mate I too have a property in Turkey and it is also my dream to leave a bike there for when I'm there. Unfortunately it's not that easy as your bike is registered on your passport on entry and you cannot exit without it. If you do your exit will be prevented unless of course you import it and register it on the Turkish system. Same applies for cars. It is also very difficult to get a long stay visa which provides other possibilities but the turks are very suspicious and can not be considered easy to dea with when it comes to customs and officials.

Just my two penneth worth. If your freind knows a way then please advise soonest.

regards

Archie GSer

+1

we rode to Turkey in 2006 great ride www.whereistonynow.co.uk/tour2cure.htm <-- blog of the trip

Hi. Happened to see your comments about leaving a bike in Turkey. I was planning to ride down and leave for 3 weeks with a Friend and return with my wife to ride it back to UK. From what u say this doesnt sound possible? Thanks JJ Jeremy

Someone recently rode here, left their bike at a mate's house for a few weeks, then collected it and rode off again. I don't have details but it's worth contacting the Turkish consulate to find out if the rules have changed or if this was a one-off.

If they can't help, which is likely as TR civil servants are generally useless, this lot should have the right info: http://www.turing.org.tr/eng/tarihcemiz.asp

Oh well, you learn something everyday.

I imagine then, that the 77 limit is only applied when they see a foreign plate, as I've never been stopped when averaging 95 or so. Filthy, dirty, speeding foreigners.

I was fined as well, policeman told me limit was 77Km's as well...

Someone recently rode here, left their bike at a mate's house for a few weeks, then collected it and rode off again. I don't have details but it's worth contacting the Turkish consulate to find out if the rules have changed or if this was a one-off.

If they can't help, which is likely as TR civil servants are generally useless, this lot should have the right info: http://www.turing.org.tr/eng/tarihcemiz.asp

On our way back from Turkey, crossed back into Greece on Friday. Had bike docs checked and details recorded both in and out, buy a visa at the border 15euro need a green card to prevent hassle for full time bike in Turkey.
When leaving passport control on way out was asked to fill in a tourist questionaire by 3 very nice men in civilian clothes but seemed to know about the places we stopped at! asked about leaving bike and told the only way out without it is in an ambulance. seems pretty final..
Know a couple of great places to stop in Greece on the way through if interested.

Back
Top Bottom