Metal Mule Silver pannier frames

JohnC

Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced severe rusting with the silver frames? I've had the black ones before and they were fine, but after only six months of use they are rusting badly. It's not only where the panniers mount, it's everywhere including all the welds. I'd hate to see what they look like after some serious winter use :spitfire

Mine escaped the winter....it took me about that long to put them on :spitfire

Mine escaped the winter....it took me about that long to put them on :spitfire

I know the feeling, I bought the panniers and frames just before the Hogroast last year and the LH frame was a real crap fit, they offered to change the frame and since then despite a few phone calls and a couple of emails I've heard nothing, the rh frame has a small amount of corrosion where a bolt has cut the coating but the rest is fine, as for calling it silver a dull light grey would be more accurate.

Good panniers when they are on, crap frame fitment and poor after sales service ruin what could be a great product:(

Shep

I know the feeling, I bought the panniers and frames just before the Hogroast last year and the LH frame was a real crap fit, they offered to change the frame and since then despite a few phone calls and a couple of emails I've heard nothing, the rh frame has a small amount of corrosion where a bolt has cut the coating but the rest is fine, as for calling it silver a dull light grey would be more accurate.

Good panniers when they are on, crap frame fitment and poor after sales service ruin what could be a great product:(

Shep

Well I doubt I would be that patient. I've contacted Paul and hope he will replace them forthwith!!

Well I doubt I would be that patient. I've contacted Paul and hope he will replace them forthwith!!

Hope you get them sorted John - you might find the explanation of "jig tolerances" come in to play followed by "you can bend them,don't worry" :eek:

(seriously)

Hope you get them sorted John - you might find the explanation of "jig tolerances" come in to play followed by "you can bend them,don't worry" :eek:

(seriously)

With mine he said they are all made in his shed on a jig and it must have happened during the powder coating or shotblasting:rolleyes: I suggested he looked again at his jig and he said mmmmm someone else had said that:(

I did get a letter offering to swap my problem rack? for a replacement, as I have no rack, i phoned him and he said he'd sent the letter to the wrong address and I would hear from them soon, that was a few months back:nenau Poor really

Shep

I did get a letter offering to swap my problem rack? for a replacement, as I have no rack, i phoned him and he said he'd sent the letter to the wrong address and I would hear from them soon, that was a few months back:nenau Poor really

Shep

Don't start me on the Top Box - mines had a new mounting mechanism and it still wobbles :mad:

I wasn't impressed after it overtook me upon hitting a pothole in Naples :spitfire

Makes my my Givi V46 on my Strom look like a Work of Art :rolleyes:

(seriously)

Pretty much the same as me.... A 2lb lump hammer (as suggested by Paul :rolleyes: ) got them close enough that a good bit of heaving and grunting got them finally lined up....

However, now they're on they're great! :thumb

And I can't see any rust on my (black) ones, but that may be because I haven't washed the bike since March :eek:

Strangely enough well over a year ago when I bought my first MM boxes for my 1100 they were about 10 miles out, and..... "put them in a vice and hit them with a hammer" was the reply from MM. At this time I mentioned his jig and was told it was "BMW's fault, the bike frames are all different". :confused: Then when I ordered my new racks for my 1200 they were 'sent to the wrong address' apparently after two weeks of waiting. They needed bending as well :rolleyes:

Perhaps a few New Year resolutions should be made MM :mmmm

I'm sorry to hear about some of you having problems.But it does show there are 2 sides to every coin.

It is interesting that,when I was looking to get panniers/frames for my GSA 12,I was told to avoid the BMW ally ones and go for Metal Mules,because they were so much better.

But I went for the BMW ones with coded keys etc.

And now I read that MM are not as good as everyone was making out.

what you read

and what your own opinions are... can be quite different.
I've just fitted the Metal Mule panniers and racks and yes, just like David :aidan I had to 'introduce' the rack to a 2lb hammer for fitting on the 650- due to a slight alignment 'off' but not much.

MM fitted the 1200 frame in what felt like minutes! and no worries.

MM panniers make my life easier (duff back:rob ) for getting on and off. Good product IMHO.:thumb

and as far a beemer plastic panniers...I still can visualise Clive's case flying off about a wee 'rear-ending' by MikeP at what must have been not much more than 3mph ! in Barcelona. They are not strong at all- fine for town run-around but not really for travel use when you are likey to use the case as a table, bike prop and the occasional 'off' too:D
Plastics just break and it is usually 'terminal'- whereas aluminium can be bent back.:thumb2

From initial contact with MM to fitting was 12 days- I would say that qualifies as good Service My vote def. goes to MM. Thanks Paul :thumb

I've got MM panniers on my GSA. Yes I had to "persuade" them to fit with a bit of judicous hammering, but they now fit perfectly, and for me, I think they're a top bit of kit. And, look good too.:thumb2

Dont think id be to happy if I spent that amount of bread and had to take a hammer to them.:aidan

I'm looking to buy a set of alloy panniers most likely Zegas. Just out of curiosity how much is a set of Mules 35L-41L plus frames to fit Gs 1200 ? I've been quoted £504 for a set of Zegas...

hammer, drill and file were all used on my Touratech frames for both my 650gsd and my 1150gsa so MM aren't alone.

Metal Mule

45ltr £224.99
38ltr £218.99
31ltr £212.99
Plus £229.99 for the frame.

And then you can start adding carrying handles, feet, bungee points and different finishes at extra cost. Ouch:eek:

HAs anybody successful got a discount on these prices????? Can a deal be done?

Metal Mule price quote

Thanks Alan:p

Model: BMW R850GS, R1100GS, R1150GS, Adventure Order Date: 20/1/2007
Quantity Part Number Description Price ea. Extended

1 SK2005-08-A 31ltr - Q-fit/Rubber Feet/Tie down loops/Side handles - Anodised £270.49
1 SK2000-08-A 38ltr - Q-fit/Rubber Feet/Tie down loops/Side handles - Anodised £276.49
1 RK2000-003 Pannier Frame £229.99
Subtotal £776.97
Shipping Zone Cost Total
UK £23 £799.97

I know that I should already know this but what is the capacity of the standard systems cases as a comparison to this combination.

Ian

Back
Top Bottom