Mapsource/Quest

ALI B

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have just upgraded my Quest and Mapsource from City SelectV6 to City Navigator V8.Although the unit was updated and registration details accepted I cannot access V8 maps due to error message 'a newer version of mapsource is available'. Surely I can use V8 without upgrading to V9 ?
Any Ideas?

I think you need to go to the Garmin website and download the latest Mapsource program. Don't get confused between the Mapping version and the Mapsource program version. They are separate things. I think the Mapsource version is up to v6.11 now. Go to :-http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

It's big though.

Well,according to Garmin ,since V9 is about to be issued unregistered unlocking codes for V8 can no longer be used.
This means I have a product that I can no longer use and am not entitled to a free upgrade to V9.So lesson learned if you purchase a Garmin map product make sure you register an install it before it is superceded.
Thanks for help in this thread, Ali.

I take it you didn't obtain your upgrade disk from Garmin or did but had it in the drawer of your desk for a while? I suffered the same fate with City Select v7 Upgrade vs. City Navigator v8. long story but I wanted both due to the big map tiles in CN v8 (and v9) not being too clever when used in a Quest.

You won't be able to use v8 at all I'm afraid. As you've 'missed the boat' they won't release an unlock code for it and any they grant for v9, if you were to buy an upgrade (< £50 BTW), won't work with v8 or any other version than 9.

Ali

read the error message very carefully. I had the same message the other day and as was said above it is likely the mapsource program that is out of date NOT your mapping software. Download the new version of Mapsource here:-

http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

Then try your old unlock codes, if you have still problems then contact customer support, they are usually helpful. I am still using using V7 of the mapping software so you should no trouble with V8.

Don't give up!

I have downloaded the updated mapsource software and message gone ,but cannot unlock maps.Spoke to customer services and was told I had missed the deadline for unlocking V8 and have to wait until V9 is released next week.
I will be charged for the new unlock codes even though I did not use the unlock code for my V8.
Tried the approach of a free upgrade as previous version unused but got shot down in flames.:(

Back
Top Bottom