Tour X or Tour X –2

Stu-13

Reaction score
Has anyone used the Tour X-2, it’s the one with the extra vent and the cool max interior as per the Rx7.
It seems that the Tour X is imported by Phoenix and the Tour X-2 by Apico as it deemed an off road lid.

Which one do I get? :confused:

It doesn't look to be quite as straightforward as that in terms of importers. Apico appear to be importing the full range of Tour X lids with Phoenix Distribution importing them all apart from the two Motard models.

I think that the Motard has the same spec as the Challenge models (pic below) and the others have one less exhaust vent on top of the shell.

tour_x_challenge_blue.jpg

FWIW, I've been using a Motard model for the past couple of years. It's been a great lid apart from the interior trim being a bit flimsy and if you're going to be using it in winter, you might want to draught proof it with an Oxford Huff or a Foggy mask.

Here's mine....

attachment.php

I have a Challenge Red Tour-X 2. I find it very comfortable and the vents work well. It looks cool (IMHO) and works well with or without the visor. The interior comes out to clean. On the other hand I do find it to be as noisy as my RX-7 was. I don't have a problem with the peak as I wear it in the lower position.

I've not owned a Tour-X before so I can't comment on any improvements over the older version.

At the end of the day you need to try one on for yourself. It's the fit that is the most important thing. If it's not comfortable then it's a bad helmet for you.

I went through the same Tour-X/Tour-X2 thing very recently.

HG seem to suggest they can source the Tour-X2, but couldnt come up with the good when I was looking. I haven't ridden with the Tour-X, so can't comment on it, but the X2 is excellent, the peek works well and I don't get any of the vibration that other people have talked about with the Tour-X. Also have anyway used Arai, so can't really comment on the noise compaired to other helmets.

Every good helmet, I bought mine from Gearchange online and would fully recommend them - just make sure you buy the right size first time.

I bought mine from HG but it's a special order only job. The Tour-X is standard stock so try one for size. I'm not aware that there is a difference in shell size.

... you might want to draught proof it with an Oxford Huff or a Foggy mask.

I've been told by Infinity that velcro will not stick to the Coolmax lining in the X-2, but not tried it for myself. It definitely does stick to the X-1 version as I have one myself.

Mike

I've been told by Infinity that velcro will not stick to the Coolmax lining in the X-2, but not tried it for myself. It definitely does stick to the X-1 version as I have one myself.

I use both in my Motard Tour X which I believe has the Coolmax lining. Both a Huff and a Foggy mask will stick to the velour lining of the chin piece. They don't stick too well to the cheek pads but since the side wings of either mask are trapped between the chin strap and the side pads, it doesn't really matter.

Thanks for the input.

I gave Arai Europe a call in the Netherlands to clarify things. The challenge colours are part of the Tour X -2 series, the cool max lining and extra vent are the give away. Phoenix don’t re-name so they kept the Tour X name, it also probably helps shift old stocks. Apico have always imported the off road kit so use the generation numbers.

HG had the old Tour X in white, which was in the right size. But they only had a Challenge in a small so I didn’t try in on and notice the different lining. I gave HG a call telling to check for the changes they said that the white was an old Tour X, and the challenge was a different lining and vent design, therefore a Tour X-2. HG don’t have any in the UK or Germany and Phoenix are out till at least March.

Gearchange were very nice on the phone and would see if they could find a challenge one, but stock the Motard ones which have the extra vent and the lining. The plain colours ones shown as Tour X-2 on the web site look like the old Tour X as they are missing the extra vent.

So I'll have to wait until tomorrow.

You can buy a breath deflector from Arai that will help with visor fogging and also completes a seal if you wear goggles (do a search for links). This won't help with the cold draught around your chin if that will bother you :ymca

You can buy a breath deflector from Arai that will help with visor fogging and also completes a seal if you wear goggles (do a search for links). This won't help with the cold draught around your chin if that will bother you :ymca

You can't at the moment because the bloody things are on back order after Laughing Gas posted the pic of his. Middle of next week for those of us who have ordered them, I'm told.

Nothing else to contribute, but other than I'm very happy with mine. Although HG had to put it on back order, took a few weeks, but arrived when they said it would:thumb

th_tour_x_challenge_red_p.jpg

Nothing else to contribute, but other than I'm very happy with mine. Although HG had to put it on back order, took a few weeks, but arrived when they said it would:thumb

th_tour_x_challenge_red_p.jpg

I bet you were cock-a-hoop when the launched that paint job, ehh....;)

Fog City stops the fogging on mine.

Chin & neck kept warm by Beard (cheap) :D

Back
Top Bottom