Check your BMW Heated Waistcoat!

BTBR

Compulsive tinkerer........!
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
And make sure that it stills work!

I bought mine two years ago this coming March. It has been lung up in my wardrobe for the last 14 months, NOTE - hung up, and not chucked in a draw.

Now the last time I wore it, it worked fine and dandy. :thumb

Wore it on Friday morning when I rode to work at 6 o'clock, and no heat. :nenau

Checked it out at work with the multimeter and the power lead was ok but no continuity on the wires going around the waist coat. :(

So I returned it back to the dealer on the way home who is now returning under warranty with just a month remaining. :clap

So, if you have a BMW heated waistcoat, it might just pay to make sure that it works, especially if you havent worn it for a while. :eek:

I agree, I think its a total piece of Sh1t design, i've used mine maybe 30 times over the last 2 1/2 years, i've had at least 3 leads and now this one has broken
(worn about 6 times since last replacement) out of warrantee now:(

Plus side is that the waistcoat is a very good insulator on its own without power:nenau :eek:

Shep

jacket is great, lead is a POS. awaiting a new one at the moment, only had it a couple of months. Pikey Dave is on his third in even less time :eek:

even when it's functioning, thee lead falls out of the connector while riding :rolleyes:

tell me, is there supposed to be an "off" position on the controller? mine is always on regardless of whether an LED is on :nenau

BTW the lead is no longer available separately. when it goes tits up, you have to get a new jacket now.

jacket is great, lead is a POS. awaiting a new one at the moment, only had it a couple of months. Pikey Dave is on his third in even less time :eek:

even when it's functioning, thee lead falls out of the connector while riding :rolleyes:

tell me, is there supposed to be an "off" position on the controller? mine is always on regardless of whether an LED is on :nenau

BTW the lead is no longer available separately. when it goes tits up, you have to get a new jacket now.

Didn't bother with a new lead, got the soldering iron out and removed the connector. Which seems to be a weak point, possibly by design.

There are two thin wires (heat sensor), and two thick wires (supply to heating element) coming from the controller, and a pair of blue and a pair of grey wires in the jacket. I can't recall which colour is which, but again one pair is thicker than the other, so connect the thick wires together, same with the thin ones, polarity does not seem to matter, I could find no connection in the jacket between the sensor and heating circuits.

And yet the threads abound saying its a shite jacket and still people buy them :nenau

true, and i had read the threads you refer too. yet in a funny way, i'm glad i did. it was an impulse buy at dealers 'cos i was cold & it has totally convinced me that heated kit is the only way to go.

i would never have gone to the hassle of ordering any other make.

i have 2 year warranty & i'm hoping they might change the lead in that time (fat chance, they haven't yet) or i'll get my money back & buy a different one :nenau

true, and i had read the threads you refer too. yet in a funny way, i'm glad i did. it was an impulse buy at dealers 'cos i was cold & it has totally convinced me that heated kit is the only way to go.

i would never have gone to the hassle of ordering any other make.

i have 2 year warranty & i'm hoping they might change the lead in that time (fat chance, they haven't yet) or i'll get my money back & buy a different one :nenau

Well done Cookie you have in a nutshell described BMW's perfect customer, you know its shit, but it has a 2 year warranty so you'll buy it anyway.

I simply cannot remember the hassle of buying my Gerbing liner, the one with the lifetime warranty on the bits that keep failing the BMW ones, they along with Chilli and Klan have been to every show I've been to and you've been to most of the same shows.

Of course you are free to buy what you do where you do - just like I am free to express my continual surprise that in spite of the sources of knowledge they are ignored time and time again :nenau

Originally Posted by BTBR
Wore it on Friday morning when I rode to work at 6 o'clock,

You did what?

What surprises me is that his pushbike doesn't even have a socket:D

Back
Top Bottom