Arai helmets...

bigchris

Reaction score
Damn I wished I'd bought one sooner.

Bought a new 'chaser' lid and managed to haggle the price to £305 from £325, and I have to say its the most comfortable, quiet and relatively warm helmet i've used. And for a change, the vents actually work (unlike on my AGV where the vents go from windy to hurricane force on the face only).

Best bit, is that they've actually cut out a bit of padding to allow things like headphones to go inside the helmet without pressing on the ear to cause headaches! Nice thought!

Shame about the visor misting up, but got a fogcity thrown in for nout (or rather was in the box when I got it home..), so problem solved.

Fancied the Tour-X, but have to admit, im pretty chuffed with this lid.
:clap

Recommended!

Like all quality bits of kit, you've only just started the ownership experience. Wait 'till you need to wash the lining or change the visor. Over time you'll marvel at the finish. When you've been for a long run out you'll appreciate the comfort, especially on a hot day.

I just hope you don't have to test it's main reason for existing, but I'm sure you'll be thankfull you bought it then too :thumb2

While I love my Arai Corsair, I also have a Shoei X-Spirit, which I have to say is a better helmet (until crash-testing proves otherwise :blast )

Just got the Arai back from the German service centre where the rear neck cushion was renewed (frayed from a jacket collar?) and also the chin straps were renewed (velcro tufting) - all free of charge :thumb2

but.............

The Arai doesn't have a completely removable liner, so cleaning the rear neck cushion (when you have comms in the helmet) involves some complicated procedures:(

The visor system is good, but I do find that the side-pods create a lot of noise and the helmet in general is noisy. Oh.......... it mists up at the drop of a hat :mad:

The Shoei, on the other hand is quite a bit lighter, the visor isn't noisy and all the lining is removable.

Each is as well ventilated as the other on a hot day.

The Corsair hasn't changed in ?? years, whereas other makers have moved on........... it may be that Arai was well ahead of the game, of course :nenau

Which to choose? Whichever one had the design that I fancied at the time :thumb2

(don't think I'd consider any of the other makes, to be honest :rolleyes: )

Al:thumb2

I use an X-Spirit.

Bloody ace helmet.

I did by a completely new set of interiors so that I can simply remove one to wash and not worry if it'll dry by the next day. The finish is stunning and the internals superb. Sometimes I do think you get what you pay for.

Got it a the NEC last year (2005) for £350!!!!!!!!!

I use an X-Spirit.

Bloody ace helmet.

Got it a the NEC last year (2005) for £350!!!!!!!!!

Yes it is :thumb2 ... the difference in weight between the Corsair and the X-Spirit is very noticible :rob

I got a brand new Kagayama Ltd edition X-Spirit for ...................

£320 delivered :eek: :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

..feels better when it's a bargain :thumb2

Attachments

• xspirit_kagayama_ltd.jpg
    xspirit_kagayama_ltd.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 722
Got an Arai SZ open face, best lid I've ever had. Not cheap, but worth every cent. 10/10.

I just hope you don't have to test it's main reason for existing, but I'm sure you'll be thankfull you bought it then too :thumb2

A few years ago my old Arai Quantum F worked exactly as advertised :clap

It was quite noisy though so now I've got a Shoei XR-1000 with a pinlock and a foggy mask (to keep my beard out of the way more than to help with fogging problems) :thumb2

Plain white Quantum F with black visor , 3.5 yrs old and still excellent. Could do with a clean inside tho'.

A guy I work with recently bought a lovely 2007 arai chaser philread replica .

Nice:thumb

Attachments

• philread.gif
    philread.gif
    18.3 KB · Views: 639
My tour X visor keeps dropping down.

Whilst at the recent EXCEL Show i took it into the ARAI stand for a free service.

They replaced the Black spring things under the visor but it is still loose.

They told me that they are all like that.... Well i new that they were not loike that but they wernt going to budge.

Having recently bought Nick Marshalls Tour X for my son (Mozzer) it confirmed that his visor is tight ans does not drop down.

Where can i go to complain about it.

It is only 2 years old and gets only summer wear.

I do not think it should be loose, i have tried a different visor on it and it is still loose, tried my sons visor on it and it is still loose but on his one it is tight.

any sugestions please

Yes it is :thumb2 ... the difference in weight between the Corsair and the X-Spirit is very noticible :rob

I got a brand new Kagayama Ltd edition X-Spirit for ...................

£320 delivered :eek: :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

..feels better when it's a bargain :thumb2

That's damned good.

Same pattern as mine. Subtle, aren't they? Classy, even <g>.

Got mine at the NEC in 2005 for £300 - the chap on the Shoei stand got it for me - as a design not being carried forward, he said!

And in the summer it's a revelation with all those air vents.

I always seem to go back to a arai lid................got a shoei xr1000 and i just don't think its as comfy as me arai chaser eagle........but sayin that only worn the shoei a couple of times................i really should give it another chance..............trouble with me is i can't resist a pretty bike lid.......at the last count i had 7 lids...............

i admit it..................i'm a girl who loves to shop...............:eek: :eek: :eek:

My tour X visor keeps dropping down.

Whilst at the recent EXCEL Show i took it into the ARAI stand for a free service.

They replaced the Black spring things under the visor but it is still loose.

They told me that they are all like that.... Well i new that they were not loike that but they wernt going to budge.

Having recently bought Nick Marshalls Tour X for my son (Mozzer) it confirmed that his visor is tight ans does not drop down.

Where can i go to complain about it.

It is only 2 years old and gets only summer wear.

I do not think it should be loose, i have tried a different visor on it and it is still loose, tried my sons visor on it and it is still loose but on his one it is tight.

any sugestions please

I'd try your nearest Arai 5 Star dealer :nenau

Got mine at the NEC in 2005 for £300 .

Hang on......... You said before that it cost £350? :eek:

Yeah - I love the style and comfort, and it looks great with a black or silver-mirrored visor (for track use obviously :rolleyes: )

A better built helmet than Arai :thumb2

Al:D

i wont wear anything other than an arai,no other helmet looks as good as new when its three years old.the quality never fades.as for the visor system been dodgy you can buy all the helmet parts seperatly so try contacting phoenix distribution(main arai importer in the uk)they will be able to sell you some new visor ratchets,although i suspect if you talk nice and tell em its a fantastic product with a slight niggle they will send em free of charge.as for cleaning one dampen it with the shower hose then massage johnsons baby shampoo into it and rinse with the shower,you will be amaze(and disgusted) at the amount of dirt that comes out of something you gladly put your head into,then store it upside down at room temp(not in the airing cupboard,in front of the fire or radiator) for 2 to 3 days.it will feel brand new.alternatively if it has a removable lining i just put mine in the washer on a delicates wash a couple of times a year.(the lining,not the helmet):rolleyes:

Shoei X Spirit for me. Got mine just before the NEC show for £299, from a guy who had just bought in loads of stock to take up to the NEC. Works out of a place on the Kent Surrey border, near Westerham, can't remember the company name so not much help, he does advertise on e-bay, but I did not want to buy without trying. -Got a Shakey Byrne replica. Had Arai's for years, bought one of the first Astro's back in the 1980's when Freddie Spencer started using them, - would never go back to them now, - way too much noise with those stupid pods over your ears, - and visabilty is not great, - and very heavy. They have become complacent and not moved ahead with avaliable technology in my view.

Hi

A bit out of topic but, how do you remove the internal lining on an Arai Astro R?

I can just remove one part, the one which is on the "top of the head":rolleyes: but not the laterals, the front or the back.

Any picture, instructions or a how to for tossers:thedummy

Cheers

Oscar

I always fancied an Arai but could never find one that fitted as well as Shoei's so I stuck with them for years. Til this year I tried an Astro R and it felt right straight away. Loads of vents don't stop it misting up though at a standstill, which I'm hoping has more to do with the weather just now than the lid. Has a real 'quality' feel about it.

to get the lining out of an arai you first need pull down the chin spoiler(if fitted) then pull the cheekpads towards the rear of the helmet and away from the sides then slide them forward and off the strap then the neck trim just pulls out of the back edge,then pop the four clips for the crown piece.the forehead section and the part for the back of your head dosnt come out,you have to wash these in situ as stated in my earlier post.DO NOT remove the polystirene inner from the helmet,it is glued in place and should never be removed.you will notice the cheekpad covers can be pulled over the foam pads and pushed through the strap holes,do this then put those,the neck and crown pieces in the washing machine and wash out the rest of the helmet,leave it all to dry for a couple of days and put it back together...ey presto a lovely fresh lid,as good as new.

just thought,if you want ill dig out my instructions(which should come with every new arai) and ill photocopy them and post them to you if you let me know your address

Back
Top Bottom