New Garage floor.........

I did the Wickes thing too. Sealed it first then 2 coats of floor paint. I bought a front rubber car mat from Halfords for a couple of quid which stops the centre stand from scraping off the paint. Jon done.:thumb2

I used light gray two pack on mine, no scuffs from stands and cleans very well. Does not stink either.

Be careful if you have a bike with sticky tyres................

If you don't put mats under the wheels - you can lift lovely ovals of paint when you roll the bike back out :blast

Don't ask how I know this :eek:

Al :thumb2

i gave up on paint - looks scruffy in very short time and lifts on to tyres. went for floor tiles, stpped all dust , looks great and cleans up a treat...expensive but job done.

Be careful if you have a bike with sticky tyres................

If you don't put mats under the wheels - you can lift lovely ovals of paint when you roll the bike back out

I did have this happen omce and wondered what did it :doh

Anyways, a mat sorted it

i gave up on paint - looks scruffy in very short time and lifts on to tyres. went for floor tiles, stpped all dust , looks great and cleans up a treat...expensive but job done.

It is the expensive side that makes it a no go.....if i remeber rightly its £20 odd per m2 and i need about 22m2 for the garage..........:eek: :eek: cant really hide that much from the missus!

Hi

Have a look at www.firwoodpaints.co.uk They are industrial paint manufacturers that seel direct to the public as well. They do a water borne garage floor paint that is low odour dries quick and your tyres dont stick to it!

Friendly people too :D

Do you stick them down or just lay them?

They still had the remnants of their original glue, so I just laid them as received. The glue remnants give just enough stick to stop them moving around, but easy enough to lift if needed. :thumb

When the floor gets too dusty it gets cleaned with just the hoover. :ymca

I did the Wickes thing too. Sealed it first then 2 coats of floor paint. I bought a front rubber car mat from Halfords for a couple of quid which stops the centre stand from scraping off the paint. Jon done.:thumb2
Another vote for Wicks, mine's grey and been down 5+ years, the center stand has chewed it a little, but not as much as you would thing. Its tough stuff, and I don’t remember it stinking ether, I'd use it again, no problem.

IMHO the paint you lay on a floor is gonna come off eventually as you will not get a perfect seal on the concrete which is gonna be pourus.

Also my worries would be that if you get some water on the floor and your wearing shoes along with the bike on its tyres, you will find that you/bike will slip so I went for the distressed finish and while its a little hard on the knees if your kneeling down its grip is like you wouldnt believe and I dont need to ever repaint it. However its useful to have a little mat to kneel on if you working on the floor but ive grown tougher knees so doesnt bother me now.

Either way clean that floor like your life depends on it if your gonna paint it as there will be concrete dust all over the show!

the ZC

My Garage is carpeted with underlay and it's wonderful!

It's comfy and warm to lie or sit on, doesn't hurt yer knees, when you drop something it tends to stay put rather than bouncing into that inaccessible crevice that every garage has, and last but not least it absorbs oil so no slipping over and breaking yer neck.

I bought an offcut of bright yellow carpet for the garage. Cost me £20. I reused the underlay left over from when we had the stairs and landing re-carpeted, and I had enough carpet left over to lay 2 extra bits where the bikes are parked. So, even though most of it is now a dull, dirty yellow and spotted with oil stains I can lift the extra bits and remind myself how it looked when new ;)

See http://www.gtr1000.com/graphics/mygtrpics/Ottos Fairing2.jpg

Before anyone tells me it's a fire hazard, I have 4 fire extinguishers in the garage (2x CO2, 2x Powder) and I'm careful.
Besides, I think that the spare petrol can, 2 bikes with full tanks, and wooden benches are just as much of a fire hazard.

George "Boomer" Garratt
http://www.gtr1000.com
Wickford, UK

Back
Top Bottom