Zumo North America to Europe

Dryskier

Reaction score
Is it possible to change a Zumo with North America mapping over to European mapping.

If possible - is it easy to do - & whats the approx cost of the changeover??

Thanks

If you buy the right area dvd (US or EU) it is easy enough. You can simply load your maps on a large SD card, and go!

Is it possible to change a Zumo with North America mapping over to European mapping.

If possible - is it easy to do - & whats the approx cost of the changeover??

Thanks

Yes and no.

You can't change the 'base map', that's held on a different chip (I think) but certainly isn't anything you can change unless you get into replacing chips.

You can install mapping (City nav, city select etc) over the top of it though as ex-cruise me said.....check the Garmin site out for all the prices of this :thumb

PS also check the specs of the unit.......certainly some American market Garmins have different amounts of user memory and specs.....

Fanum

The Zumo is in its setup quite different then most other Garmins. I.e. the Base map is a simple file that can be seen when connected to a pc. All Zumo files are placed in an internal memory just like SD cards etc.

There is even a trick that makes it possible to change your Zumo basemap into an routable (! ) world ( ! ) map. I have done that.

The USA Zumo is the same unit as the EU Zumo, just with different maps loaded. So it is possible to either put a USA map on an EU unit or reverse. If you put those maps on the SD card, you can even place them together.

Fanum

The Zumo is in its setup quite different then most other Garmins. *snipped*

Ah cool...thanks for that, I've learnt something today then!! :thumb

Just as an aside then.....does this mean that if you have a problem with the unit when out and about (like it freezes up) and you have to do a factory reset, that it deletes the base map as well???

On previous units, if you had to do that (and I've had to at least 3 times with various units, not all mine) at the least you'd still have the base map to get you out of the wilderness .

There is an internal "chip" that can be reset. But it won't delete any of the mapfiles. Just the operating system. The OS can be flashed, so Garmin can bring out all these nice updates that even bring you some more functions. I reckon that by either hard or soft resetting, you reset your OS and / or user settings (like mph or kmh etc)

The 2820 also keeps its basemap in a file. And apparently the unlock code for said basemap in another file. When you add map data, it creates yet another file. Reseting the unit only deletes this second map file.

I'm sure buying a NA unit, then asking Garmin for Euro Map data would be a waste of time, but who knows? I'd love to hear of anyone who manages it.

Eventually I'm going to want to do the reverse... buy NA map data to put on my 2820 as a basemap...

I'm thinking that downloading a bunch of map data (thus creating this second map file), then re-naming it to the name of the first file, could (if you have the unlock code in the right place) get you basemap functionality with this new map data... I'd love to hear of anyone who's done it... (and then restored the original basemap file for factory fresh functionality.. I have mine backed up...)

Al...

If it's so easy to swap a USA zumo map into EU map then that's unusual for garmin. It will mean the Zumo 450 released in the USA will make it's way to the UK, either officially or via the grey market/personal inport. I'm sure MC Concepts said that Garmin reckon they won't import the 450 which is a shame as i don't want bluetooth and would appreciate a lower price zumo.

I wonder how practical it would be to buy a 450 from the states and then load up the EU maps or would I have to buy the maps and end up paying almost the same as a 550?

Zumo 450 from GPSCity is currently $660 or £336 at the current exchange rate. CN Europe NT v9 is £119 +vat from GPS Warehouse, so that would get you a Zumo 450 for £455 + vat = £535 with both Europe and North American mapping (plus shipping from the US and possibly import duties).

Maybe not a great deal unless you want to have both sets of mapping :nenau

While the processor is the same, different countries models have different amounts of internal memory;

A European zumo 550 has 1.9 GB of internal memory
A North American zumo 550 has 1.2 GB
An Australian/New Zealand zumo 550 has 486 MB

A European zumo 500 has 486 MB

Thanks for the info, definitely doesn't look like a good deal to import a 450, let's hope that garmin do a EU version soon. However I'll not buy untill it's possible to turn route recalc off.

Back
Top Bottom