Metal Mules ?

colin cok

Thinking of changing to Metal Mules panniers on R1200GS the equal size ones plus new exhust system to accommodate.Any comments good or bad?

Agreed it's in the wrong forum but to answer your question...

I did exactly this. I had the Touratech Sondersystem (the one with the exhaust cutout) and changed it for the unbalanced Metal Mule system. Then they started doing the equal sized system and I upgraded to that.

So I now have two large panniers plus a third smaller one (which is my Green Leopard 'office') and a topbox. These are in constant daily use and I think they are fantastic.

The Mules are fantastically well built, strong, well designed and real-world practical. I've used them as camping chairs/tables as well as to stand on to look over a crowd. I've made bacon in them (really) and I've lashed some pretty silly stuff on them with no problems at all. A big thumbs up from me.

Attachments

• attachment-1.php.jpg
    attachment-1.php.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 313
  • attachment.php.jpg
    attachment.php.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 313
Thinking of changing to Metal Mules panniers on R1200GS the equal size ones plus new exhust system to accommodate.Any comments good or bad?

I'm a satisfied customer.

Bit of a fiddle to get the frame and new can on--Good customer service though.

I went for powder coated finish, rubber feet and top handle (so you can carry them like suitcases.

Absolutely waterproof (so far) and tough.

Only slight downside was the finish on the rack being a bit thin in parts.

Attachments

• MM.jpg
    MM.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 287
Finish a bit thin??? Bit of a fiddle?? That's an understatement. Good customer service!!!!!!! Crap paint, crap fit, crap service, crap aftersales, crap price, but pretty good boxes. I for one wont be replacing them if I ever change the bike and need new racks, but then I cant see that happening for a while :D

I like them. :thumb

(Wicklow Mountains, Eire)
Bike.jpg

And so do others, but do a search and make your own mind up. To me someone who doesnt answer your many emails when you have a problem, doesn't return your calls, hangs up on the phone and then puts it off the hook, tells lies, talks mince, paints their racks with water colours, doesn't know what a jig is for but happily takes your large sum of money and runs, well they dont deserve future custom. Each to their own I guess :)

'Supposed' bikers should support each other, and if they dont, f**k em :D

Pity That:

And so do others, but do a search and make your own mind up. To me someone who doesnt answer your many emails when you have a problem, doesn't return your calls, hangs up on the phone and then puts it off the hook, tells lies, talks mince, paints their racks with water colours, doesn't know what a jig is for but happily takes your large sum of money and runs, well they dont deserve future custom. Each to their own I guess :)

Shame to hear you feel like that . I've had two sets of mules now and in all customer service situations can't speak to highly of the metal mule team............Yes, I agree the powder coating was a bit thin on the early 1200 frames, but subsequent one's seem much denser.
Still one things for sure, you can't please all the people all the time
:thumb2

Got to agree with most of that, the only trouble is, i really like their boxes, if i was to buy from them again I would ride down there and get them to fit them, and only leave when I was totaly happy with the fitment of the frames and their finish.

Shep:eek:

Yes the boxes are fantastic, will last for ever and can be easily repaired. The frames just need some diy powder coating and they will be fine. I just hate it when companies, especially those owned by bikers, 'deliberately' let you down. FYI I bought my silver 1200 racks in July/Aug 06 to replace my 1100 ones and they had rust all over them by November. Dont forget the little guy MM :thumb

Back
Top Bottom