Fuel pump?

nomad

I was out last Saturday miles from civilisation (in Wales) :rolleyes: when the bike stopped firing as if it had run out of fuel.I stopped and tried to restart it to no avail :( Though when I switched the ignition off then on again it ran :) But only for 45 secs or so :confused: Since I had it recovered back home I've tried all the usual with the fuel pump sensor connections etc.to no avail.Symptoms persist.Could it be the actual fuel pump? If anyone has any ideas on what to try next before I trailer it to the dealer (warranty ran out :( ) PLEASE HELP ME!!! :bow
I've been so pleased with my 1200 until now (17k miles without a blip),but owning 8k's worth of scrap metal does not make me a happy bunny!

Early R1200GS bikes were subject to a recall regarding fuel pump electrical contact corrosion. Water was getting through a seal, collecting where it shouldnt collect and causing corrosion of the electrical contacts. You could ring up BM customer services and they will tell you if that recall has been performed. Recall was issued in Jan/Feb 2005. Good luck !

nomad said:
I've tried all the usual with the fuel pump sensor connections etc.to no avail.Symptoms persist.Could it be the actual fuel pump?
What do you mean by "tried all the usual" - have you replaced the fuel pump "controller"?

If its the fuel pump problem (and some fuel pumps failed even after the recall mod because the corrosion had already set in), I would expect BM to view any post warranty claim sympathetically. After all, the bike can't be more than about 6 weeks out of warranty.

Paul

I had a replacement controller and seal. Eventually the actual pump itself went.

FWIW - the fuel pump "controller" is £40.60 + VAT
- part number C16.14.7.694.378

The O-Ring for it is £1.88 + VAT
- part number C16.14.7.694.717

crankshaft sensor

[.I stopped and tried to restart it to no avail :( Though when I switched the ignition off then on again it ran :) But only for 45 secs or so [/QUOTE]

Same symtoms,two things happened to me:

1. After a big rain bike did'nt start, when turning the ignition on, no sound from the fuel pump, I disconnected and reconnected the fuel pump controller, and the bike did start. the dealer thougth that the FP controller was the problem (due to the recall) but was'nt. Further investigation revealed that the culprit was the crankshaft sensor, located at the top of the engine. Dealer changed at no charge.

2. Gas tank in reserve 50kmo go, in a winding road, in one curve I inclined the bike plenty, and the bike stopped, paranoid thought that I had again the problem with the sensor, but at the end resulted that I was low on petrol.

there after, no problems so far

Thanks for all suggestions chaps! :thumb I've just been in the garage working on it again,but still got same symptoms after re-checking the contacts under the fuel pump controller (they're all totally rust & verdigris free!)The only thing left now before it goes to the dealer is to check the crankshaft sensor if I can find where it's located.Anybody point me in the right direction? :confused:

From my experience sounds like the fuel pump controller. My bike had the same symptoms, would turn over but not catch, turned out to be the controller. I was there when the BMW service guy replaced the controller and there was no corrosion on the contacts. Bike immediately started and have had no problems since. The new controller was phsically different to the old one (different heat sink casting), maybe they had problems with excessive heat build-up.
If you can wire up the pump directly (bypasssing the controller), and it starts, then you have your answer. If it doesn't start then your problem lies elsewhere. Controller is very easy to replace.
Hope this helps.
cheers
Peter

nomad said:
The only thing left now before it goes to the dealer is to check the crankshaft sensor if I can find where it's located.Anybody point me in the right direction? :confused:

It's in the right hand cylinder head, at the back, underneath the inlet.

A small round black device mounted in a slightly larger black plastic cover. Just one bolt to undo to remove it, and I think the cable from it is plugged in somewhere under the throttle body.

I've now tested the fuel pump and camshaft sensor.The fuel pump operates initially to start the bike but it's obviously looking for something else within a short period of initial start-up so that the fuelpump can recieve a further signal to carry on running;this is not happening,I've now reached the stage where I must concede to the dealer's diagnostic equipment otherwise I'll be effin' about for many lonely garage-bound nights desperately clutching at straws (been there,done that).Thanks to all for the help :beerjug: I'll let you know what it was & how much when I get the bike back!!

Can't answer that 'til I get the bike back Mark.Suffice to say I got frustrated with which engine management sensor to check next so I've trailered it to the MWB blokes to sort for me. :(

Just had exactly the same experience in Wales. Bike working fine on Saturday, Sunday morning bike fired initially then refused to start thereafter. Recovered home and eventually diagnosed as a faulty Fuel Pump Controller. Fixed under warranty but still a real drag. Interestingly there was no corrosion in the terminals. Bike is 18 months old with 5,000 miles showing.

Well gents,as promised Im reporting back to let you know what it was!! Collected the bike yesterday to find that it WAS still under warranty :clap and the fault WAS the fuel pump controller,although there was NO corrosion evident :confused: anyway it's been replaced with the new type controller and seal.All seems perfect again and thanks to Clarks in Rednal once again for their helpful,friendly service. :bow

For peace of mind treated myself as part of my essential toolkit :augie
£49.97 incl vat
146289389-L.jpg

:D

had same problem with controler on 2005 bike at 24000 miles replaced under warranty went again at 24500 miles just had it repaced again new type seems as bad as the old one:

Back
Top Bottom