2010 GSA

john lockwood

Reaction score
I've just purchased a new fully optioned 2010 GSA after selling my optioned 09GS. The 2010 test bike I rode only had 90klm, was super-smooth and the motor was quieter, that's why I went for the 2010, my new GSA has 700klm vibrates as much as the 09 and doesn't seem to perform any better. Has anyone else experienced this?
I've also used 300ml of oil in the first 600k's

I would agree 100%. The demonstrator that I had was the smoothest twin I have ever known and it had 1600 miles on it.

My own 2010 GSA vibrates just like my previous GS, not any more that one might normally expect from a twin but not as smooth as the demo.

Of course, the obvious issue is that mine has also only done about 500 miles so, like yours I guess, has not had its first service yet.

It is probably way too early to judge until it has been serviced and got a couple of thousand on the clock. So I am hoping that it may smooth out somewhat.

I seem to remember reading on another thread that there's some issue with a cam position sensor or something like that on the 2010's that can cause some of them to stall and sometimes vibrate. At least I believe that's right. :nenau

I must point out that mine does not vibrate any more than you would expect from a boxer - it is just not as smooth as the demo bike. Hopefully miles will make it smoother.

I should of also said that the performance seems no different to me and I didn't expect it to be any different really.

perhaps the demo bikes have a continual 'tune up' so that you are influenced to purchase.

i.e. any vibration and the throttle position sensors are checked whereas your bike gets surviced avery 6000 miles

Are you running high test fuel makes a difference on mine.I have 3200 miles on mine 5weeks old preety smooth.Rode down to Italy and back last weekend.
Did not have to top up oil.Much better than last 07.
cheers Bob

I rode the demo with only 500 miles on clock before I picked up mine, TBH I didn't notice any difference once I got mine.
Oil consumption was a little suprising up to 1st service.
After service, found the bike even smoother and oil consumption is now minimal.
Milage 2200.:aidan

Mine's got smoother and more perky as the miles have added up. Still using quite a bit of oil though, thirsty little bugger

Oil use...normal before 1st service
Copied from my earlier post.....

"just checked my oil after a TOP blast round the twistys in the mountains all over the Beacons Nat Park, 1750 miles in 7 weeks....the level has dropped about 2mm from top of glass.......Ran the bike in as manual said...fairly hard.....as in.....http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

It used over .35 Ltr mineral oil in the first 600 miles, now 1150 miles later on Castrol Fully Synth 10/50 hardly a drop....'caus it's been run in correctly' and today I got 53 mpg over 280 miles, the best yet...not hanging about and keeping mostly to the limits, "thanks to Bikesafe"

It's the Dogs....woof woof..." :comfort AND its getting smoother all the time

When our local forum chaps heard about my wanting to "invest" in a new 30th Anniversary I started receiving some interesting email. some of congratulations... other NOT the type I wanted!!

SOme of the chaps have mentioned that they have bought the new 2010's and noticed lots of engine vibrations at around 4000 - 4500 rpm. In fact the one chaps own's and RT and noticed that the handlebar mounts on the 2010 model was changed from normal mountings to RUBBER...:blast (wonder why)

Apparently lots of the blokes found the problem and some complained of getting pins & needles in their feet from the vibrations.

Posts here on the BMW Motorcycle club: http://bmwmotorcycleclubcape.co.za/2010-r1200gs-vibration

Same

06 GSA. Oil used between 12k and 18k service.....0. :aidan

i have just done a 5537 mile trip to the arctic circle Lofoten Islands Finland and the edge of the Russian border
two up very overloaded and ridden quite hard in places topped up one morning with less than 50ml of oil :thumb2

2010 GS/GSA Vibrations

THIS was posted this weekend on the BMW Forum in Cape Town: (quoted)

Thirteen of us left Bloemfontein and Kimberley to George and back to Gariep covering 2400km of dirt and tar roads.
I rode 5 x 2010 and 2 x 2008 Gs's back to back.
The vibration is not caused by fuel.
We used 93 and 95 unleaded and all the bikes were run on the same fuel.
Three of the 5 x 2010's had the dreaded hand numbing vibration.It's not the tyres,Tkc,Anakee and Tourances were fitted.All three that had the vibration had diferent tyres.I can see why some new owners say that the 2010 has less vibration than the previous model.After riding the older model I found the vibration in the handlebars to be at a lower frequency.
The 2010 vibration could feel smoother because of the finer or higher frequency,but it is exactly this higher frequency that causes the numbing of the hands.It can only be down to internal balancing of the motor.I've ridden an HP2 4500km's in 10 days and never experienced any numbness in my hands.It does not even have a balance shaft and should theoretically have worse vibration.

Its been a week since riding and my hands still tingle.As I have said before,log an official complaint with a reference number so we can get this sorted.

http://www.bmwmotorcycleclubcape.co.za/2010-r1200gs-vibration

Methinks there's serious problems here - however BMW WILL NOT sort the problem out UNLESS we the consumers stand together and collectively get the media involved globally to get it sorted!!!

I for one have cancelled my 2010 GSA order............... I'm also cancelling my sale of my Nov 2009 model and will try resolve the lean-fuel issue myself.

Seems BMW have lost the plot.............................. :mad:

So is mine...way better than the 2007 I had before... apologise for disrupting the moaning brigade!

My 2010 went in for its 6,000 service today. On the way home I was trying to feel for any differences in the bike. I also ride a single cam 1200 RT all day (ok, slightly different power delivery and gearing, but its essentially the same motor as the GS), and often try and tune myself in to the differences between the old and new motors. (My 2010 is fitted with the accelerator module..).
I've got to say, I rode home this afternoon thinking to myself how much smother the 2010 motor is. Then I read this post ;).

I understand your point about a higher frequency vibration that could be interpereted as being smoother, but actually turns out to be more finger numbing that a lumpy bike, but I'm sorry to tell you the same as the two above; my bike's as smooth as silk. :thumb.

Sometimes I think I'm riding a different bike than some of the 2010 GS's on here.

Smooth, not vibratory :thumb

However, I am suffering from the Fuel Gauge Blues :augie

Just completed a 3k tour of Spain over 3 weeks (middle week parked up) on my 2010GSA.

No vibration issues, no oil used.

Bike was perfect in every way (as it should be!).

Mike

Back
Top Bottom