2018 KTM 790 Adventure

Reading you get all defensive about the SE and knocking the new kid on the block over the last few posts has made we wonder if there is possibly a new ukGSer JB in the making.............

Anyone who's owned one knows all too well the shortcomings of the SE, if you think that was defensive of the SE (which I'm not) then look again as I'm pointing out it's a ridiculous comparison........

...................Much like Mustang v Mondeo :D

Anyway, I'm in a bad mood because I have to spend my working day on a BMW and all this weekend on a KTM :beerjug:

Simply put :beerjug:

Attachments

• 950SE motivation.jpg
    950SE motivation.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 657
I know and you know I'm only teasing Tim............

It reminds me a bit ;) of back in the day when I could ride a bike and was racing SM on my great big 636 CCM. All SMs then were great big LC4's, CCM's, 610 Huskies etc and we all thought we were the dogs and super macho riding the big shit......... Then along came the cheeky whiper snappers on their Execs and similar; fecking girls bikes they were...........thing is they pissed all over us and one or two seasons later nobody was racing the big old dinosaurs............... :D

I STILL think tiny SMs are girls bikes though, give me a big old brute of a thing any day (well, apart from the fact I can no longer ride one like it should be with my old bones and addled brain) :beerjug:

Andres

Versatile as well

Attachments

• 950 Supermoto Enduro.jpg
    950 Supermoto Enduro.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 668
Arsey you've been very selective when comparing weights by quoting the massive Safari tank which incidentally lowers the c of g when after the first gallon is used.
Virtually every 950SE has it's TWO very heavy silencers replaced with Akras or similar which not only give a massive weight saving but with correct jetting dyno readings suggest 100+ bhp (not to mention the 990 conversions).

Talking of bhp, I'm not sure where you get the idea a 790 is more powerful???

Yes the SE is outrageously tall (it's an outrageous bike!) But fitting a tall Renazco seat then complaining about the height shows more bias than a Brexit debate :D

Of course comparisons are drawn on forums, a decade and a half of technological advances is of course going to lead to improvements in economy etc.

It's used to be the HP2 v SE debate which makes sense, trying to compare either of them with modern and arguably more bland bikes misses the point of them by a country mile.

But deep down in the beige soul of all motorbikes they really all want to feel and sound like a 950SE. ;)

Tim,

I was being slightly tic about the weight !!
All I know , having owned a 950SE for a decade is that the 790 feels much lighter even though it isn’t .

And with regards to power , again , for me, the 790 feels to have more grunt . Ok I’ve not ridden a 950 now for over a year but at least I’ve actually ridden both bikes to make a comparison!!

And I don’t think I was complaining about the seat height of the SE. I merely said that I was on tip toe. I rode it all over Ireland/Scotland/Alps with no issues and never dropped it -only after 3 knee ops did I start to struggle .

The 790 certainly isn’t better than the 950 and I have a feeling you won’t gel with it but for the rest of us mere mortals , it’s going to be quite popular .

Tim,

I was being slightly tic about the weight !!
All I know , having owned a 950SE for a decade is that the 790 feels much lighter even though it isn’t .

And with regards to power , again , for me, the 790 feels to have more grunt . Ok I’ve not ridden a 950 now for over a year but at least I’ve actually ridden both bikes to make a comparison!!

And I don’t think I was complaining about the seat height of the SE. I merely said that I was on tip toe. I rode it all over Ireland/Scotland/Alps with no issues and never dropped it -only after 3 knee ops did I start to struggle .

The 790 certainly isn’t better than the 950 and I have a feeling you won’t gel with it but for the rest of us mere mortals , it’s going to be quite popular .

Firstly, I think some seem to over estimate my off road abilities!
What I do know with some more focused bikes is the harder they're ridden the better they become, that's certainly true with many rally bikes and I'd say the same for the 950.

It appears the 790 will be very user friendly and compliant off road even at lower speeds and thats not to say it doesn't also work when pushed.
That is where the 790 will undoubably excel and appeal to many riders.

All I'm saying is that's not what I'm looking for in a bike.
ABS, traction control and heaven forbid a twist and go AT are all designed to yes be safer but also easier and to many that's what makes a 'great bike' but I'll never forget Robbie C's words to me after my first ride on a 950SE.....
" with some bikes you think I could kill myself on this but the SE wants to kill you" :D

What I do know with some more focused bikes is the harder they're ridden the better they become, that's certainly true with many rally bikes and I'd say the same for the 950.

It appears the 790 will be very user friendly and compliant off road even at lower speeds and thats not to say it doesn't also work when pushed.

ABS, traction control and heaven forbid a twist and go AT are all designed to yes be safer but also easier and to many that's what makes a 'great bike' but I'll never forget Robbie C's words to me after my first ride on a 950SE.....
" with some bikes you think I could kill myself on this but the SE wants to kill you" :D

You managed to keep up with me so you must be good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

how are they at "advanced" motorway speeds ? What speed do they feel comfy at ? Do vibes significantly increase at say 70,80.. ?
cheers

I think Cymarc need to get the toolbox made up quickly as there’s enough room for a full tool box, sofa and lap dance on the opposite side to the exhaust.

212fe839468da5dc9d9809a36e616f41.jpg

I think Cymarc need to get the toolbox made up quickly as there’s enough room for a full tool box, sofa and lap dance on the opposite side to the exhaust.

212fe839468da5dc9d9809a36e616f41.jpg

Are they wolf man bags jo

Quite possibly, but you’re certainly up there in the OAP category-well apart from GrandMaster Flash himself , aka JohnnyHalfEmpty ! :)

And the 790 will never be your kind of bike,as you like a challenge and need to wrestle a bike into submission.

But for us mere mortals,I think the 790R will be fantastic.
I used to ride EXCs but the only off-roading I’ve done on a big bike in recent years apart from the 2 day Honda Adventure Course on the AT was when I took my 1290 up the tracks in Potes last year.
I could have got all the way to the top of the Fuente De cable car but wasn’t sure of the way and ran out of time as it was an early morning solo ride before brek with g/f.But it was starting to get a bit gnarly in places and I was mindful we still had a week left of the trip.

I’m going back with the ATAS this year ,unless I take the 790 but know that I’ll be more comfortable on the ATAS than the 1290 and probably even more able on the 790,what with it’s fantastic low C of G and balance.

Now if only KTM will make a KTM 790R DCT !

Quite possibly, but you’re certainly up there in the OAP category-well apart from GrandMaster Flash himself , aka JohnnyHalfEmpty ! :)

And the 790 will never be your kind of bike,as you like a challenge and need to wrestle a bike into submission.

But for us mere mortals,I think the 790R will be fantastic.
I used to ride EXCs but the only off-roading I’ve done on a big bike in recent years apart from the 2 day Honda Adventure Course on the AT was when I took my 1290 up the tracks in Potes last year.
I could have got all the way to the top of the Fuente De cable car but wasn’t sure of the way and ran out of time as it was an early morning solo ride before brek with g/f.But it was starting to get a bit gnarly in places and I was mindful we still had a week left of the trip.

I’m going back with the ATAS this year ,unless I take the 790 but know that I’ll be more comfortable on the ATAS than the 1290 and probably even more able on the 790,what with it’s fantastic low C of G and balance.

Now if only KTM will make a KTM 790R DCT !

Only my opinion but I'd hate a 790R DCT. Why? Well my work bike is a Honda NC750 DCT, it's ok but I still prefer the manual bike when doing slow speed manouvering round our congested streets. Same applies to the AT DCT off road, give me clutch control over an auto any day on anything nadgery.

Honda's DCT gear changes are damn smooth but in drive it chugs away and changes gear at very low revs, in sport it's better but it sometimes decides to change gear half way round a greasy wet roundabout, when I'd rather decide when to change gear.

Maybe I'm a luddite, each to their own etc.

Only my opinion but I'd hate a 790R DCT. Why? Well my work bike is a Honda NC750 DCT, it's ok but I still prefer the manual bike when doing slow speed manouvering round our congested streets. Same applies to the AT DCT off road, give me clutch control over an auto any day on anything nadgery.

Honda's DCT gear changes are damn smooth but in drive it chugs away and changes gear at very low revs, in sport it's better but it sometimes decides to change gear half way round a greasy wet roundabout, when I'd rather decide when to change gear.

Maybe I'm a luddite, each to their own etc.

All I know is I never got up the steepest hill at the Honda off-road school in one go without stopping/stalling.
I rode the standard bike for 1 1/2 days. I pinched the DCT for the final afternoon and rode straight up the same hill with no trouble at all.

I love my ATAS DCT.It's so much better than the 2016 AT DCT.I tend to ride it in manual mode most of the time or S2 and it very rarely changes gear where I wouldn't have done.It's almost telepathic,certainly much improved over the 2016 bike which I also had.
As you say, each to their own.

how are they at "advanced" motorway speeds ? What speed do they feel comfy at ? Do vibes significantly increase at say 70,80.. ?
cheers

70-85 in gusting winds and no vibration. Tall screen fitted but very very smooth.

Are they wolf man bags jo

Yes on TT racks. I planned to swap rack once there is more choice but these TT are very well fitted and designed.

Back
Top Bottom