G450X - Any had more than 70 hrs use yet?

You must be kidding right? Taking a new bike off road? Pah !

Just kidding.

Unfortunately I don't get it 'till next week. Can't wait to get it filthy. Got a fekkin bargin - will tell you more tomorrow night.

Mike.

Have you fitted bar risers to yours? if so are they sturdy as i find my bars move about on their mountings quite a bit after a relatively 'small' off.

Trust me

I have had some relatively BIG offs recently. No problem with the bar risers or the mountings, did bend the bars through :D

Do they need servicing EVERY 70 hours :eek:or is it just after the first 70 to reshim or something once it's worn in? :)

Do they need servicing EVERY 70 hours :eek:or is it just after the first 70 to reshim or something once it's worn in? :)

70 hrs Service Schedule - New Crank/Rod and Piston/Rings and new Exhaust valves, plus rear shock service and fork rebuild

Dealer Labour c.£1200 - 2 day job and Parts c.£500-£600:eek::eek:

Totally scary

70 hrs Service Schedule - New Crank/Rod and Piston/Rings and new Exhaust valves, plus rear shock service and fork rebuild

Dealer Labour c.£1200 - 2 day job and Parts c.£500-£600:eek::eek:

Totally scary

:eek:That's the 450 off the list then :blast
Cheers Johnny:thumb

:eek:That's the 450 off the list then :blast
Cheers Johnny:thumb

Or........................

Just wait until it blows.... a new motor from Kymco maybe a cheaper option

Routine servicing is an oil/filter and air filter clean every 10 hrs

Or........................

Just wait until it blows.... a new motor from Kymco maybe a cheaper option

Routine servicing is an oil/filter and air filter clean every 10 hrs

No....this was as a possible lead bike for leading Maroc pogo trips........11 days riding, over 70 hours on the road per trip....makes it totally un-viable.

My Ex-Timolgra well sorted DR650 is bloody good machine and TBH suits my abilities as well, so I guess BWM have designed themselves out of another customer there :)

Fanum - think again. The bike is positioned as a competition bike, and comes with competition maintenance schedules. Oil & filter change every 10 hours + valve clearance check every 20hrs. The 70 hr service is a biggy, yes. But will only need doing if you are racing it, full throttle the whole time etc.

Big difference between racing it and greenlaning / off roading. Just skip the 70hr service and wait for something to go wrong. I have no intention of doing the 70hr service, and neither do all the other joe-public folk I've spoken with who have this bike. Chances are nothing will go wrong. But dont skimp on the oil / filter change.

Same with all these bikes.

But if you want / need to play it safe, get a DRZ400E !

I pick mine up on Sat from a BMW dealer with 10hrs use. Bring it on!

No....this was as a possible lead bike for leading Maroc pogo trips........11 days riding, over 70 hours on the road per trip....makes it totally un-viable.

My Ex-Timolgra well sorted DR650 is bloody good machine and TBH suits my abilities as well, so I guess BWM have designed themselves out of another customer there :)

The only BMW to consider for your use is a 650X Challenge

Lighter and better road/offroad handling than the DR650 with a much stronger engine and better fuel consumption (but only 120 miles to a stock tank) - but you'll either a TT tank or a Max Kool auxiliary fuel tank

6000 mile service intervals and a motor that is well proven

I agree

Fanum - think again. The bike is positioned as a competition bike, and comes with competition maintenance schedules. Oil & filter change every 10 hours + valve clearance check every 20hrs. The 70 hr service is a biggy, yes. But will only need doing if you are racing it, full throttle the whole time etc.

Big difference between racing it and greenlaning / off roading. Just skip the 70hr service and wait for something to go wrong. I have no intention of doing the 70hr service, and neither do all the other joe-public folk I've spoken with who have this bike. Chances are nothing will go wrong. But dont skimp on the oil / filter change.

Same with all these bikes.

But if you want / need to play it safe, get a DRZ400E !

I pick mine up on Sat from a BMW dealer with 10hrs use. Bring it on!

but the 1st thing potential buyers will say when you sell it will be.......has it had its 70 hour service:eek:

Heres my theory:

- I think you'll struggle to find one that has had it.
- And if it has had it, its likely to have needed it 'cos its been raced....in which case it would have to be available at a damned good price to take the risk on that.

I think the next 6 months is going to be an interesting chapter in the life of the g450x as loads start to go over 70 hours.

Heres my theory:

- I think you'll struggle to find one that has had it.
- And if it has had it, its likely to have needed it 'cos its been raced....in which case it would have to be available at a damned good price to take the risk on that.

I think the next 6 months is going to be an interesting chapter in the life of the g450x as loads start to go over 70 hours.

6 months - only 2 days per month of trailriding (6-8 hrs per day) = 70 hours+ usage

Not a lot of riding is it:eek:

Is changing the oil and filter every 10 hours pretty common on these small dirt bikes? For me that can be one long day on the trails, or at least every second day... I can barely find the time to wash mine, let along change the oil after every second ride!

Is changing the oil and filter every 10 hours pretty common on these small dirt bikes?

Certainly on KTMs and 'Bergs (dunno about the BMW).

Whereas the DR-Z 400 has an oil capacity of 2.4 litres, the EXC KTMs only have about 1 litre of oil. It's important, therefore, to use fully synth and to change it regularly as it is worked pretty hard.

Greg

Back
Top Bottom