New Honda CRF250 Rally.

shedracer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The new Honda CRF250 Rally looks very interesting. Will be keen to try one out on a test ride, when they become available this year. Yes a bigger engine, like a 450 would be nice, but that probably not going to happen. At least the servicing is better than a full on competition engine, like the CRF endure and motoX bikes.

This may tempt me back to a road bike again, with the chance of some green lane riding as well. Looks nice and quite well specked, with proper off road abs, which can be turned off. The 250 engine doesn't really bother me, as not bothered about speed anymore. Look forward to seeing it in the flesh and hopefully getting a test ride.

Only downside is it's quite heavy for a 250.
Which could be a problem picking it up off road.
Your Right a 450 version would be a great bike

It is quite heavy for a 250, but I guess it's a trade off from using the road based engine, but that gives you the reliability and long service intervals. Not sure on price yet, but hopefully not too much more than a CRF250L.

I had a CRF 250L which was great to begin with when I started going off road but after a whiile I wated more power. Having a 390 Duke at the same time, I often thought that if the 390 engine could be fitted the CRF it would be perfect.

I changed the CRF for a 690 Enduro a few months ago but now learn KTM are developing a 400 whch I thnk would be perfect so maybe somthing for the future

With a big bore head and a cbr300r crank, cam, Ecu and throttle body, you can get 325cc and 35 bhp. Junk the standard heavyweight silencer and put some decent tyres and drop the gearing to a 13-42 and it would be pretty tasty. Apparently there's a complete kit available in Asia. Or just put the 305 big bore kit, silencer, tun box and get around 28 horses. It's not going to be fast, but plenty for what's intended to do. 90mpg with a 3.3 gallon tank, so 70mpg would probably be reasonably easy, that's plenty in the uk, the yanks might winge though ;0).

Can't see a 450 version coming, as Honda don't have a suitable road engine, unless they use the 500 twin. Otherwise it would require a new engine and Honda would only put that sort of investment into a 450 rally if they thought it would convert to big sales.

Honda CRF250 Rally

Just acquired one for the weekend, quite like it really, yes woefully underpowered but not dissimilar to a standard old air cooled Xr 250. Suspension on the softer side and non adjustable. It sits fairly happily at 60-65 mph but eventually 80 was seen and still revs to go.. I would certainly change the gearing a bit lower and def change the exhaust system when available to un choke it. I really think it could be a great machine, you have to remember it is a 250 and as such it's is quite refined, nice touches, rally type display, fuel gauge, trips, digi rev counter, clock etc. Switchable abs works easily. Cracking bike for exploring the back lanes and trails and when accessories for luggage come on line it is a nice not so little package.
Made in Thailand and is very well put together IMHO, it certainly is growing on me.
Hopefully have a play on a few green lanes later today to check its ability, I'm sure it will handle most stuff quite well, it's no enduro, lots of style over substance but I like it...there is a lowering link available which would help the shorter stature.
At £5399 a touch pricey but it will start every time and if well looked after should stand the rigours of time. D.I.D. Rims, lots of stainless fasteners, a great package for those not wanting a hard enduro, just a pleasant ride on the back lanes...
Steve:thumb2

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 1,414
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 2,132
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 1,284
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,690
Excellent write up Steve:thumb2 hoping to have a spin on one today, if I have time. Haven't ridden a road bike since I sold my 1200 adv quite a few years ago now, so not sure how a 250 is going to feel, I know it won't be quick, but for what I want to use it for, it should be fine.

Haven't ridden a road bike since I sold my 1200 adv quite a few years ago now, so not sure how a 250 is going to feel, I know it won't be quick, but for what I want to use it for, it should be fine.

Didn't you miss it or are you riding more Trials now?

On the same wavelength

Didn't you miss it or are you riding more Trials now?

On the same wavelength

Don't really miss it, but the CRF250 Rally has got me interested in doing some green lanes and generally exploring those small back roads. :thumb

Still doing Trials, although my RTL is in a thousand bits at the moment! :eek:

Had the CRF250L when they came out, commute and took offroad once and it did fine even on the original shitty tyres. The only issue I had was clearance , the bashplate bottomed out a few times and yes it was heavy trying to lift out of a rut.
Think the rally might be taller but it means you could ride distance to the trails then ride home providing you haven't wrecked it. They do seem tough especially the engine which is very reliable.
Sold mine to a guy who had a 390 which kept breaking down :augie to the point where he was close to loosing his job for being late regularly, all big stuff too crank sensor was the last straw @ 6m old :eek:
not knocking ktm's especially as I have just done my wedge on one but my RC8 was the same 6 years ago, I am hoping they have improved :D

seems a bit of an oddball, in that you could forgive the weight because it's got fairings and more capable of distance over an enduro bike etc, but it has a 250 engine, which isn't ideal for long trips on tarmac so you're not likely to ride it far, to then go and ride trails. As a comparison the 2017 KTM 250 is 100kg, ready to go but no fuel, so its about 50kg's heavier than the KTM. Looks great though just a bit niche perhaps :nenau

I like the look of these a lot. I could be tempted to swap my WR for one.

Well finally got a test ride this afternoon, admittedly only for 20 miles and half hour, would of liked a lot more and was strictly told no off road riding! The bike had zero miles, so tyre and brakes needed breaking in and engine felt tight, but having not ridden a road bike for a good number of years, I was prepared to not be stunned by the performance. I had to use my trials helmet, boots and gloves and some old riding kit, that I have kept back from 2003. The open face helmet was a bit of a drawback for anything over 60, but I found the screen was pretty effective, even though it was quite windy. I really enjoyed the bike, didn't feel heavy at all and very easy to do figure of eights on lock, at snail pace in the dealer car park, it felt very well balanced. I thought the power was ok for riding back roads and green lanes, but I'm really torn on whether I could live with it, on dual carriageways and motorways (it would be my only road bike). The rear shock does feel overly soft, doesn't seem to effect the bike on road, the ride comfort on bumpy back roads was nice, but I don't like the fact that the rear squats down so much, just lifting the bike of its side stand, let alone sitting on it. I do wish I could of got the test bike for longer than the half hour I had it for, maybe I need to try and get another test ride, on a bike that's run in and get more than half hour on the bike?

If I did get one, I'd sort rear shock out immediately, maybe change tyres to a better make and fit adjustable brake and clutch levers. As for adding a little more power, that is possible, but at a fair cost.

I think I'll wait a while, see how things pan out and maybe later this year, you might be able to get them at a reasonable discount, or the 500 version that mcn hinted at, might appear? At a lower price, I'd be very willing to take a chance. :thumb2

I think it's a cracking little bike, but I do think Honda have missed the ball park with it slightly. For the European and North America markets, it would of been so much better if they could of given it maybe 35+hp and a rear shock setup for 80/90kg riders instead of the light weight Asia riders. Then again, I guess we're lucky Honda even decided to make this, but if it had that 35+hp engine, they'd probably sell a lot more. :thumb2

There is a rumour H are bringing out a more powerful version , something to compete in the mid sized trail / mini adventure market, then there is the T7 Tenere Yam are supposedly working on to replace the 660 :thumb2

Decided to take the plunge and get one in the end, early days but it's a cracking little bike and very pleased with it.

Back
Top Bottom